Not now honey, mommy is on the computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly I know parents like that. It's just laziness...blaming video games or whatever is just another cop-out.

Bastards.

I find it hard to believe that an obsession with Dungeons & Dragons alone could explain this level of neglect--if one finds time to earn a living, pay the bills and feed oneself, it's hard to imagine how needs as basic (and simple to meet) as spooning out baby food to the baby and slapping something between two pieces of bread for the toddler could go unmet. Then again...
Michael Straw is an unemployed cashier, and his wife worked for a temporary staffing agency doing warehouse work, according to court records. He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.

OMG that's horrible! Thank God the children are gaining weight now. Their lives could have been ruined!

yolland said:
I find it hard to believe that an obsession with Dungeons & Dragons alone could explain this level of neglect--if one finds time to earn a living, pay the bills and feed oneself, it's hard to imagine how needs as basic (and simple to meet) as spooning out baby food to the baby and slapping something between two pieces of bread for the toddler could go unmet. Then again...

There are people who are very freakish about role playing games - whether it is D & D or World of Warcraft - it can be VERY time consuming. (I was really into WoW at one point).

While this story is an extreme, there is certainly an addictive quality to role playing games. Not that it should be outlawed, but I think the addiction can sneak up on people.

dude it almost seems funny, like it's some kind of joke ... then you read the description of how messed up the kids were :yikes:

terrible. sure video games are addictive, but ... what the fuck. HIT PAUSE YOU STUPID BITCHES.

I remember when I was younger I'd go to my best friend's house all the time and his dad was CONSTANTLY on the computer. I was kind of a nerdy video game guy myself, but even he put me to shame. He had the attitude where if his wife or kids bugged him while he was on it he'd just say "ok, yeah... alright". It got to the point where his wife would become extremely frustrated and sad. I remember one time I was in their living room and I heard her trying to get him to come to bed and he wouldn't because he was busy looking at stocks. Eventually she ran out of the room crying. Good God that makes me so friggin mad. I felt so bad for her. They ended up getting a divorce.

JCOSTER said:

:shocked: & I thought my son was big at 9lb. 1 oz. and he was 2 weeks early!

and here we both sit pleased at how big ours were at birth when compared to this little scrap of a toddler virtually the same weight at 11 months old. it's criminal.

:(

yolland said:

Considering someone (I can't remember who now) on this site wrote a few months ago about a college student who shit in his socks for days on end because he didn't want to leave the computer game he was playing this doesn't seem any more unbelieveable.

It is sad, pathetic, maddening and all that though.

Some people just seriously should not be parents. There was a recent neglect case here where a BABY, not a toddler but a helpless BABY, was left at home alone all day while the parents went to work. Disgusting.

indra said:

Considering someone (I can't remember who now) on this site wrote a few months ago about a college student who shit in his socks for days on end because he didn't want to leave the computer game he was playing this doesn't seem any more unbelieveable.

Tha socks part made me laugh. Can you imagine how funny it would look while he was taking a crap?

shart1780 said:

Tha socks part made me laugh. Can you imagine how funny it would look while he was taking a crap?

would you really want to picture that? :yuck: and the smell...

I'm thinking being that addicted must be some sort of mental illness. I mean, I've played computer games for hours on end (starcraft...though its all about Heroes of Might and Magic III, baby), but I don't understand how it could possibly get to the point where you won't even stop to go to the bathroom or take care of your kids? I've also read about people starving and not sleeping for days because they won't leave the computer...this I cannot understand. I mean you could essentially play a game all day and still eat/go to the bathroom/take care of BASIC needs/sleep for at least a few hours...I mean what the hell :huh:

indra said:

I remember that.....and not long after hubby and i watched a documentary on SBS regarding Online games.....i was shocked that there has been around 70 deaths around the world (mostly in Korea!) related to online gaming where people get so dehydrated that they just perish at their computer tables....it's insane.

There was also this City of heroes couple (who also had 2 little kids)... who paid poor students in Romania to "level" the wife's avatar (on level 2) so she could keep up with her hubby who was on level 50.....she did this so she could care for her kids.

I feel guilty using the PC when the kids are watching TV or in bed......most of the time i'm doing work or banking while using the blue-crack!

^^ leveling online characters is quite common and its mainly people from the far east desperate enough to work the insane hours.

Its such a shocking case and from what i can gather not an isolated incident.

Back
Top Bottom