Not Just a Man and a Woman in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
I'll take a stab at this. So you're suggesting that American gays who might want to go to Canada to get married might want to rethink it because of something vague Nader said about the Canadian education system 14 years ago?
:lmao:

I love your posts...

Macfistowannabe said:
Beware of a Ralph Nader quote:

"Canadians know little about their achievements in the past. They don't even teach them in their schools."

Dec. 9, 1992 - from an interview on CBC Television, quoted in Famous Lasting Words by John Robert Columbo

I am more worried about their lack of precipitation.

Canada Dry.

angelordevil said:

Just wondering what U2 would think of such unions...they are a band who are both immersed in religion--and seemingly open-minded and tolerant of minority groups. Where do you think they stand?

from Mother Jones magazine, 1989:

MJ: And aren't those attitudes, and that policy, rooted in homophobia? Isn't that an argument to speak out about gay rights?

Bono: OK. My bottom line on any sexuality is that love is the most important thing. That love is it. Any way people want to love each other is OK by me.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Not Just a Man and a Woman in Canada

joyfulgirl said:
from Mother Jones magazine, 1989:

MJ: And aren't those attitudes, and that policy, rooted in homophobia? Isn't that an argument to speak out about gay rights?

Bono: OK. My bottom line on any sexuality is that love is the most important thing. That love is it. Any way people want to love each other is OK by me.

:applaud: :up: :hug: :bono:.

Doesn't surprise me really that they're for it, I just like the way he said that.

Angela

"one" is a pro-gay song. note the gorgeous, moving Keith Harring (noted gay artist who died of AIDS) artwork from PopMart. Bono & Co are artists, you can bet they have hundreds of gay friends. and i don't have it with me, but in _At the end of the world_ LMJ talks about how the band hangs out in gay clubs because they don't get harassed, and how LMJ, personally, has a lot of time for the gay community, because they've always been good to U2.

he's absolutely right. i love U2 to my core, and it's because i can find parts of myself in their songs. they may be explicitly sexual at points, but there's no machismo, no arrogance, and anyone can find a way in to any of their astonishing love songs.

Wow... Toronto's crime rate is sky-rocketing (just a couple days ago an 11 year old girl was struck in the head by stray bullets as she was riding the bus with her mom), the city is grungy and trashy - the East Coast of Canada is has been in the worst unemployment slump ever in the last decade...

But Hey a couple of Gay guys can get married and ride down the street with just married signs on the back of their Limo! Oh, I feel so much better, I'm gald the government has spent months upon months debating such an important issue when Major cities are falling to crime.
Yeah, a big thumbs up to Canada, trying to set an example to the rest of the world, when you got real issues to deal with, make sure you side-step them with frivolous debates that could have been handled in one day - let the idiots get married, move on! We've been pondering for over a year over a simple inevitable change in society - yes, Leftists in government are so brilliant.

- Nicholas

and look! conservative, highly-religious Israel passes the US in the creation of basic civil rights:

Israel provides legal recognition to same-sex couples

Israel's attorney general has granted legal recognition to same-sex couples in financial and other business matters, his office said Wednesday, prompting an outcry from some ultra-Orthodox Jews, who consider the decision sacrilegious. Atty. Gen. Meni Mazuz said the couples will be treated the same as common-law spouses, recognizing them as legal units for tax, real estate, and financial purposes.

Mazuz made his decision by refusing to appeal a district court ruling in an inheritance case that recognized the legality of a same-sex union, his office said in a statement. Mazuz did differentiate, however, between recognizing same-sex unions for financial and practical purposes, as he did, and changing the law to officially sanction the unions, which would be a matter for parliament, according to the statement.

Gay rights activists cheered the decision. "This is very dramatic," said Irit Rosenblum, director of the New Family Organization, which advocates legal recognition of gay partners. "Practically, this is a declaration recognizing the family with same-sex parents. People won't sweep this under the table anymore and say it doesn't exist."

David Batzri, a prominent rabbi, lashed out at the ruling, saying it endorsed homosexuality and will bring God's vengeance and possibly even another great flood upon Israel. "There were such laws in Sodom," his son, Rabbi Yitzhak Batzri, told Army Radio. "The Torah, our book of laws, says that such things are sacrilegious," he said. "To make this permissible and positive...is very grave. Instead we need to help these people to come out of this."

disco2blue said:
Wow... Toronto's crime rate is sky-rocketing (just a couple days ago an 11 year old girl was struck in the head by stray bullets as she was riding the bus with her mom), the city is grungy and trashy - the East Coast of Canada is has been in the worst unemployment slump ever in the last decade...

But Hey a couple of Gay guys can get married and ride down the street with just married signs on the back of their Limo! Oh, I feel so much better, I'm gald the government has spent months upon months debating such an important issue when Major cities are falling to crime.
Yeah, a big thumbs up to Canada, trying to set an example to the rest of the world, when you got real issues to deal with, make sure you side-step them with frivolous debates that could have been handled in one day - let the idiots get married, move on! We've been pondering for over a year over a simple inevitable change in society - yes, Leftists in government are so brilliant.

- Nicholas

Perhaps you'd like to move to one the large cities in the US and there you could be safe of the same sex marriages...every thing else would be the same (and even much worse), but the "idiots" can't get married, so all is well. Woo Hoo!!!

I think how people are treated in a nation isn't a "frivolous issue."

I recall Bono noting with approval at some performance eons ago that it was Gay Pride Week. I had forgotten about that earlier.

disco2blue said:
let the idiots get married, move on! We've been pondering for over a year over a simple inevitable change in society - yes, Leftists in government are so brilliant.

- Nicholas

hi nicholas. im acknowledging your post in hopes that you will be engaged in real discussion. though my wish is sincere, i have my doubts based on our past experiences.

all that to say,

youre blaming the left for holding this up:lol:? if it was up to the 'left' it would breeze through the house and the senate. opposition is coming from within the liberals and the conservatives.

of course, none of that even matters because the government hasn't been focused on it for a year. it has been with the supreme court for most of that time.

and stop pretending the government hasnt accomplished anything.

Last edited:
:hmm: I wonder if poor Canada will see its social fabric ripped apart like the Netherlands and Belgium have?

Oh wait. Those other countries that allow two adults who love each other to get married no matter what their gender are doing just fine, ain't they?

My bad. :|

There is a fine balance, I have no problem with reciognizing gay couples as long as we allow for adoption and IVF etc. if we are going to get that western birthrate up we will need as many family units as possible be it gay or straight.

Last edited:
what does gay marriage have to do with that? these couples will be together whether marriage is allowed or not. the birth rate issue isn't going to budge as a result.

...unless we finally allow them to also adopt which might give so many state wards a family to call their own. wouldn't that be nice. so there you go, 2 birds, one stone.

still never heard in this forum, one valid reason why this should never be allowed. the marriage that is. or the issue of parenting amongst same sex couples really.

:huh:

I think that adressing birthrates is important, there will be social changes of the next few decades which may help correct that. On top of that I think it would be good if we had gay marriage and allowed for adoption etc. Family units are much better for kids when they work.

Indeed. I really thought you were saying something entirely different, in that allowing them marriage will stop the birth rate increasing lol.

i truly dont know how i read that now.
:hmm:

Well now that I read my first post it does seem very ambiguous, I think I was going to write that we needed certain provisions and then I went off on a different tangent - it's like a post that was never really a post.

A no-brainer, and it's taken us until almost 2005 to get it right. (Um, when did the supposed "Enlightenment" occur again? Thought it was the 18th and 19th centuries.)

Still, i'm proud of Canada. Now let's get that legislation passed pronto.

This is great news, but it is worth mentioning again that this was a legal decision, made by the Supreme Court, and all it said was that Gay marriage was ok by the Constitution.

The real decision will be a political one, and the debate will happen at the House of Commons. Right now it looks like the vote will be VERY close, so we can't just jump to conclusions now. Gay marriage is not officially legal at the federal level yet, although it is in many provinces, and gay civil unions are recognised almost everywhere in Canada.

Nonetheless, this decision by the Supreme Court is a great and important step.

Back
Top Bottom