North Korean train blast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
North Korea is the most closed country on earth, so it's difficult to confirm or deny the news that is coming out of the country, but if these reports are true... :sad:

From the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3649655.stm

N Korea train blast 'kills many'

Up to 3,000 people have been killed or injured in a huge explosion after two fuel trains collided in North Korea, reports say.
[...]

:|

Marty

How could trains carrying petrol and liquefied gas get so close to such a large group of people? It sounds as if the fuel train ran by or through a commuter terminal. Tragic.

It looks like estimates have been revised downwards significantly.

N.Korea Explosives Blast Kills 150, Injures Hundreds

DANDONG, China/SEOUL (Reuters) - A train carrying explosives blew up at a station in North Korea (news - web sites), killing 150 people and injuring more than 1,000 in a blast that flattened a large part of a town, aid workers said on Friday.

North Korea's media has made no mention of Thursday's blast in the town of Ryongchon, near the Chinese border, but the reclusive and impoverished communist state has accepted offers of help from international aid and relief agencies.

I hope the new reports are closer to the truth. The thing is that North Korea is so secretive, it's almost impossible to get the real numbers:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3651705.stm

New theory on N Korea rail blast

A picture is beginning to emerge in North Korea of the scale of Thursday's rail disaster close to China's border.

In the first independent account, the Red Cross said the train blast killed at least 54 people and injured 1,200.

But diplomatic sources in Pyongyang say the figure is much higher, as reports indicate the blast happened when two wagons of dynamite hit a live wire.

[...]

A Red Cross team sent to the scene has reported that 1,850 homes have been flattened and 6,350 seriously damaged.

[...]

Diplomatic sources in Pyongyang say the casualty figures are in the thousands.

[...]

Casualties do not equal deaths, but when it is reported that 1,850 houses are flattened, I fear the numer will be higher than the 54 or 150 they're now reporting.

BTW, here's a picture of the area:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/04/asia_pac_enl_1082729588/html/1.stm

Even 18 hours after the explosion, there are still huge clouds surrounding the station.

:(

It's frightening. The fact that such a tragedy happens and the world can't find out enough about it to be able to help. I read today that China offered to take care of victims in its hospitals, but that North Korea refused and told China that the doctors would have to go there and help. I just can't comprehend what would make a country want to act the way North Korea does, especially when something like this happens and they need all the help they can get.

~*Buffalo*~ said:
I read today that China offered to take care of victims in its hospitals, but that North Korea refused and told China that the doctors would have to go there and help.

On the news just now 'they' said that the North Koreans dont have enough money for the petrol for all the ambulances to transport their injured over the border. Thats why they asked China to come over to them. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom