Norman, Hilary and Media Silence - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
GO FREDDY!
Romney Aide In Dirty Tricks Campaign
by The Associated Press

Posted: September 12, 2007 - 6:00 am ET

(Boston, Massachusetts) A spokesman for Republican Mitt Romney says that the presidential candidate did not approve the creation of a Web site severely critical of the personal and political life of his GOP rival, Fred Thompson.

The Web site, PhoneyFred.org, was created by Wesley Donehue, a business partner of Warren Tompkins, a South Carolina political operative on the Romney payroll and Romney's top adviser in the early voting state.

The site was created without the knowledge of Tompkins or Romney, said Romney spokesman Kevin Madden. After the campaign received media inquiries about it, Romney aides traced the site to Donehue and complained.

"We made it clear that we did not approve of the site and asked for immediate action to make sure it was again in no way affiliated with the campaign," Madden said. "The person responsible is not an employee of ours, but we took immediate action to make sure it was clear the site was not affiliated with the campaign."

The Web site attacked Thompsons conservative credentials. It also labeled him Fancy Fred, Five O'Clock Fred, Flip-Flop Fred, McCain Fred, Moron Fred, Playboy Fred, Pro-Choice Fred, Son-of-a-Fred and Trial Lawyer Fred.

It asked, "Once a Pro-Choice Skirt Chaser, Now Standard Bearer of the Religious Right?"

Romney has said he welcomes Thompson to the race for the GOP presidential nomination, which the former Tennessee senator and actor joined last week. However, Romney has also questioned Thompson's leadership experience, and aides to the former Massachusetts governor have highlighted the Tennessean's lobbying record and his support for campaign finance reform legislation, as well as suggestions he lacked legislative accomplishments.

The site made light of Thompson's acting career, saying of the "Law and Order" star: "You're probably in the same boat: You can't get the theme to 'Law and Order' out of your head, but can you name one thing that Fred did during his eight years in the United States Senate?"

It went on to note that Thompson once provided legal services to a family planning group, and also served as a lobbyist.

The Web site was hosted by a company called bluehost.com, based in Orem, Utah. It had links to Under the Power Lines, Tompkins' political consulting firm.

Tompkins, a former executive director of the South Carolina Republican Party, is a veteran of Palmetto State politics. He served as President Bush's 2000 Southeast regional director at a time when Bush attacked then-rival Sen. John McCain and defeated him in the state's GOP primary.

Tompkins has been paid $12,000 monthly to guide Romney's effort in South Carolina, whose primary the campaign views as a pivotal test of strength of support among conservative voters. It follows the leadoff states of Iowa and New Hampshire, two other areas of concentration for Romney.

"Once we received inquiries about the site, we discovered it was created by an individual who works at an Internet firm who parked the site temporarily on the company server space of a firm whose financial partner is a consultant to the campaign - Mr. Tompkins," said Madden, who later identified the individual as Donehue. "Mr. Tompkins did not know about the development of the site."
__________________

melon is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,749
Local Time: 09:27 PM
-
__________________

unico is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:27 PM
MISSING MONEY-LIKE 40 MILLION$$$$



And there's more here people:

Report: $40 Million Borrowed by Dirty Democratic Fundraiser Norman Hsu is Missing
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

E-MAIL STORY RESPOND TO EDITOR PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
NEW YORK — The mystery of where a dirty Democratic fundraiser got the money to lead a lavish lifestyle, fund political campaigns and post a $2 million bond to get out of jail appears to have a Woodstock connection, according to a report published in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal.

The newspaper reports that a company run by Norman Hsu, who donated nearly $2 million to Democratic candidates since 2004 — including presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton — recently received $40 million from a Madison Avenue investment fund run by Joel Rosenman, one of the creators of the fabled Woodstock rock festival in 1969.

Now, that $40 million is missing, Rosenman reportedly told investors this week.

Hsu reportedly told Rosenman the funds provided by Source Financing Investors would be used to manufacture apparel in China for top designers such as Gucci and Prada, and would yield a 40 percent profit, according to documents examined by the newspaper.

Rosenman now says that when Source Financing tried to cash checks from Hsu's company, Components Ltd., the checks bounced.

Rosenman reportedly now wants Hsu to repay the entire $40 million.

Source Financing's dealings with Hsu appear similar to the 1991 fraud case in which Hsu was convicted of grand theft for failing to repay investors in a Chinese latex gloves deal.

He was scheduled to be sentenced in 1992, but fled before the hearing. He turned himself in Aug. 31 after 15 years on the run, only to become a fugitive once again last week when he failed to appear for a bail reduction hearing.

He was arrested last Thursday in Colorado.

Rosenman told his investors that the Manhattan District Attorney's office is looking into the case. The Wall Street Journal, however, reported that a spokesman for the district attorney did not respond for comment.

The newspaper reported that its analysis of Hsu's campaign finance reform records shows he has links to more than $1.8 million in donations to Democrats since 2004.

He also is credited with raising $850,000 for Clinton's presidential campaign
diamond is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Romney Aide In Dirty Tricks Campaign
by The Associated Press

Posted: September 12, 2007 - 6:00 am ET

(Boston, Massachusetts) A spokesman for Republican Mitt Romney says that the presidential candidate did not approve the creation of a Web site severely critical of the personal and political life of his GOP rival, Fred Thompson.

The Web site, PhoneyFred.org, was created by Wesley Donehue, a business partner of Warren Tompkins, a South Carolina political operative on the Romney payroll and Romney's top adviser in the early voting state.

The site was created without the knowledge of Tompkins or Romney, said Romney spokesman Kevin Madden. After the campaign received media inquiries about it, Romney aides traced the site to Donehue and complained.

"We made it clear that we did not approve of the site and asked for immediate action to make sure it was again in no way affiliated with the campaign," Madden said. "The person responsible is not an employee of ours, but we took immediate action to make sure it was clear the site was not affiliated with the campaign."

The Web site attacked Thompsons conservative credentials. It also labeled him Fancy Fred, Five O'Clock Fred, Flip-Flop Fred, McCain Fred, Moron Fred, Playboy Fred, Pro-Choice Fred, Son-of-a-Fred and Trial Lawyer Fred.

It asked, "Once a Pro-Choice Skirt Chaser, Now Standard Bearer of the Religious Right?"

Romney has said he welcomes Thompson to the race for the GOP presidential nomination, which the former Tennessee senator and actor joined last week. However, Romney has also questioned Thompson's leadership experience, and aides to the former Massachusetts governor have highlighted the Tennessean's lobbying record and his support for campaign finance reform legislation, as well as suggestions he lacked legislative accomplishments.

The site made light of Thompson's acting career, saying of the "Law and Order" star: "You're probably in the same boat: You can't get the theme to 'Law and Order' out of your head, but can you name one thing that Fred did during his eight years in the United States Senate?"

It went on to note that Thompson once provided legal services to a family planning group, and also served as a lobbyist.

The Web site was hosted by a company called bluehost.com, based in Orem, Utah. It had links to Under the Power Lines, Tompkins' political consulting firm.

Tompkins, a former executive director of the South Carolina Republican Party, is a veteran of Palmetto State politics. He served as President Bush's 2000 Southeast regional director at a time when Bush attacked then-rival Sen. John McCain and defeated him in the state's GOP primary.

Tompkins has been paid $12,000 monthly to guide Romney's effort in South Carolina, whose primary the campaign views as a pivotal test of strength of support among conservative voters. It follows the leadoff states of Iowa and New Hampshire, two other areas of concentration for Romney.

"Once we received inquiries about the site, we discovered it was created by an individual who works at an Internet firm who parked the site temporarily on the company server space of a firm whose financial partner is a consultant to the campaign - Mr. Tompkins," said Madden, who later identified the individual as Donehue. "Mr. Tompkins did not know about the development of the site."
*yawn*

'08 Notes: A Clash In The Night
Posted by REID WILSON | E-Mail This | Permalink | Email Author
We wondered yesterday about Mitt Romney's concern with the candidacy of Fred Thompson, and the near-nervous answer the former Guv gave about the former Senator's candidacy. The spat got worse yesterday, thanks to a Thompson parody website that may or may not be linked to Romney's campaign (Romney says it isn't; Thompson says it is).

John posted the back-and-forth yesterday, in which Thompson's camp cited Romney's "South Carolina cover-up" and Romney's camp quickly distanced itself, assuring anyone who would listen that the site was unaffiliated with the campaign.

In reality, the argument is good for both campaigns. When a campaign thinks it's behind, it will go after other candidates -- as Mike Huckabee, Sam Brownback and others have shown by taking on Romney. If Romney thinks Thompson is a real front-runner, he will do well to knock him down now, before he defines himself. (One sure sign a campaign is in trouble: It calls for more debates.) Having someone else do it for them is an added bonus.

But the attacks, contrasts, whatever you want to call them, don't always work if the attacked doesn't respond: How much traction did Brownback gain for his constant mantra on Romney? Not a lot, because Romney never responded to what his campaign juggernaut would see as little more than a gadfly.

So the tit-for-tat benefits both Romney and Thompson: By attacking Thompson, Romney's allies legitimize him as a front-runner. By responding, Thompson acknowledges that Romney is a force to be reckoned with, not a gadfly also-ran. It's also a benefit for both that they're dealing with this issue in the national media instead of on television in Iowa. By all accounts, Hawkeye Staters don't like negative campaigning one bit.

In other news today.....
diamond is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


*yawn*

double standard
–noun 1. any code or set of principles containing different provisions for one group of people than for another
BVS is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Oh, well if Romney says it isn't then we have to believe him.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 09:27 PM
I just checked MSNBC, CBS, and FOX, and all three news sites had it as a top politics story. I don't understand the "silence" aspect of this.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Thursday, September 13, 2007



HILLARY CLINTON, JOHN EDWARDS

Hillary’s Not-Quite-Refunded Hsu Funds

John Edwards isn’t exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to criticizing Hillary Clinton, or bringing up the Clintons’ past scandals – recall his “the Lincoln Bedroom is not for rent” speech. In fact, that speech came on the 23rd of August, just a few days before the whole Norman Hsu mess exploded on the nation’s front pages.

Yet John Edwards hasn’t yet commented on the Norman Hsu matter.

There’s no mention of Hsu on his web site. (A few blog posters have mentioned it on his site, but nothing from the campaign itself.)



John Edwards “hasn’t received a dime from Norman Hsu,” I’m told. It’s a golden opportunity to slam Hillary. So why the silence from the candidate himself?



The Edwards camp has stated they're now doing criminal background checks on their donors. I'm thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the Edwards camp wants to complete the check on their own donors, and once they're given a clean bill of donor health, so to speak, they'll open fire on Hillary over Hsu.
diamond is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Team Clinton can't explain ignoring warnings on Hsu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK and MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Wednesday, September 12th 2007, 4:00 AM


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(THIS STORY NOT FROM YOUR EVERYDAY MAINSTREAM PRESS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton's campaign couldn't explain yesterday why it blew off warnings about felon-turned-fund-raiser Norman Hsu - and the Daily News learned FBI agents are collecting e-mail evidence in the widening scandal.

Clinton was forced Monday to give back a whopping $850,000 raised by convicted scam artist Hsu after learning his investment ventures were being probed by the FBI as a potential Ponzi scheme.

She earlier gave to charity $23,000 Hsu donated himself after reports revealed he fled sentencing for a $1 million scam in California in 1992.

Yesterday, the campaign insisted it did all it should to vet Hsu after California businessman Jack Cassidy warned in June that Hsu's investment operation was fishy. Cassidy e-mailed his tips to the California Democratic Party, which forwarded them to the Clinton campaign.

Cassidy did not want to talk about the case, saying he doesn't want to jeopardize the FBI's efforts. But he wants Hsu prosecuted. He told The News that Hsu was a reverse Robin Hood - "a hood robbin' the poor to give to the rich."

His warning "prompted a search of publicly available information, which did not reveal Mr. Hsu's decade-plus-old warrant," said Clinton adviser Howard Wolfson. He would not say why the campaign didn't follow up on specifics Cassidy included to explain his suspicions.

"They knew [about Hsu], and they knew back in June," a source told The News.

Cassidy raised a red flag after a friend came to him with a tale of being offered 64% annual returns by Hsu.

"It was either predatory lending or a Ponzi scheme," the source said, adding that the FBI had interviewed Cassidy and took as evidence numerous e-mails he sent to political officials about Hsu.

Camp Clinton never responded to Cassidy, but dealt with the worried California party members. According to the Los Angeles Times, Clinton's Western finance director, Samantha Wolf, e-mailed, "I can tell you with 100% certainty that Norman Hsu is NOT involved in a Ponzi scheme," adding, "He is COMPLETELY legit."

Wolf no longer works for the campaign. Wolfson declined to explain her departure. He also refused to discuss how Hsu insinuated himself into Clinton's good graces, to identify who was his primary contact or explain how the campaign handled him.

Hsu-raised cash also went to Clinton's Senate campaign and political action committee. Wolfson said the '08 campaign was working on what to do about that.

With the scandal growing, other Democrats who feasted off Hsu's collection plate - including Clinton rival Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Chuck Schumer's Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee - were trying to decide whether they should give back cash he "bundled."

Hsu's motives remain unclear.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines said Hsu got no favors from the senator.

"The Senate office had no official contact with him, and undertook no actions on his behalf," he said.

The case has now attracted some Clinton enemies, who plan to dig deeper.

Longtime Clinton foe Judicial Watch signaled it will join G-men and journalists on Hsu's trail and try to pressure the Justice Department and Senate Ethics Committee to take action.

"Were they knowingly benefiting from illegal straw donor contributions? Were they put on notice?"
diamond is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,749
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I just checked MSNBC, CBS, and FOX, and all three news sites had it as a top politics story. I don't understand the "silence" aspect of this.
And let me guess...neither reported on the $9 billion missing funds that were supposed to go to Iraq?

I'm glad we have our priorities in tact.
unico is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Team Clinton can't explain ignoring warnings on Hsu

Maybe it just sat on their desk like the warnings of 9/11 sat on Bush's desk...
BVS is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Hey,

let's stay on topic

this could actually cost some people their lives

this involves some woman that thinks she is entitled to be the leader of the free world,
deep is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 06:27 PM
thinking about it

Hillary is about as unAmerican as one can be

everyone knows women get to the top by sleeping their way there


and she even cheated there
she let others do her dirty work
deep is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
thinking about it

Hillary is about as unAmerican as one can be

everyone knows women get to the top by sleeping their way there


and she even cheated there
she let others do her dirty work
And that's why she's unelectable.

Talk to me on Nov 10th 2008.

dbs
diamond is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,725
Local Time: 04:27 AM
^So if she did the "sleeping up" herself she would've been electable?
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
And that's why she's unelectable.
Your sexist attitude towards Hilary is ridiculous. You don't like her because she's a Democrat. If she were a Republican who was against same-sex marriage and pro-War in Iraq, you'd adore her.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 10:27 PM
melon is offline  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Your sexist attitude towards Hilary is ridiculous. You don't like her because she's a Democrat. If she were a Republican who was against same-sex marriage and pro-War in Iraq, you'd adore her.
Yes, that's pretty much it. She'd also have to be meek and mild and subservient and not dress like a skank.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
^So if she did the "sleeping up" herself she would've been electable?
Absolutely not.
That many of you are missing the broader message, I will try and break it down here:

Your average American sees Hilary as an enabler of a philanderer, but many of you give her a pass because she promlugates your agenda, but that doesn't correllate with fairminded Americans who will ultimately decide if she's elected or not. She actually does women a disservice by being an enabler-which most Americans get, you guys don't.

Futhurmore because a dozen of you or more feel cozy here on a message board being left minded syocphants doesn't accurately respresent America; you're in for a rude awakening.

That some of you will attempt to call me a hypocrite because of my past conduct, bear in mind 2 things:

1-I have never sought public office, and never plan to.
2-What's in my past, is my past and ppl do change, the Clintons don't seemed to have, they look/act like they're power hungry and act like they're entitled to the office- ask Obama.

It's not going to happen,
William The Impeached,
the disbarred Attorney from Arkansas
with angry wife in tow will not be running the country in 2009, mark my words.

I propose that we ajourn until Nov 10th 2008, after you all of you come out your therapists' offices, being much better suited to deal with the new realty then.

Thank you,

dbs
diamond is offline  
Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 10:27 PM
^ boy, everyone's really getting a rise out of you, aren't they?
__________________

Irvine511 is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×