Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Nobel Prize for Medicine was jointly awarded yesterday to a guy at my work! :hyper:

Prof Barry Marshall, The University of Western Australia.

The other cowinner was Dr Robin Warren of Royal Perth Hospital.

I'm not sure when these two started researching into the Helicobacter pylori but Prof Marshall is still researching into it over 20 years after their discovery. It's wonderful to see people who have worked so long and so hard on such a good cause recognised.

I don't know Prof Marshall at all but I'm still really excited. Our whole Uni is :hyper:

Last edited:
They're so cool. Apparently they were in a cafe and one recieved THE phone call from Stolkholm first. The Nobel people told him not to tell the other one as they wanted to tell him first, so he was trying to work out how to do hand signals across the table. :lmao:

I love the fact that such a large and professional organisation like the Nobel Prize committee rings people and says "but don't tell anyone" :lmao:

Last edited:
Won't. Seriously, it is straying a long way from what the award is supposed to be for (but has strayed a long way before).

beli said:
They're so cool. Apparently they were in a cafe and one recieved THE phone call from Stolkholm first. The Nobel Peace people told him not to tell the other one as they wanted to tell him first, so he was trying to work out how to do hand signals across the table. :lmao:

I love the fact that such a large and professional organisation like the Nobel Peace Prize committee rings people and says "but don't tell anyone" :lmao:

I don't want to be a smart-ass, but it's not the Nobel Peace Prize committee, but the Nobel Price Committee.
The Nobel Peace Prize only is a "branch" of the Nobel Prize :)

It's really a funny story, nad the best wishes to your university from me :wink:

Most of the nominees deserve the prize, so Bono and Geldof, too. But I think they will award another person.

oops. Sorry. Musn't type excited. Yep you are correct. The peace prize is one prize. Prof Marshall co-won the medicine prize. I wrote that, then mangled it. :lol:

Edited: I've edited my two posts. Thanks again for pointing that out. Please feel free to do so again. I'm the sort that prefers to be corrected than repeat something stupid.

Last edited:
On a related note, why is the Peace prize sexier than the other prizes? I notice this every year. Is it becasuse the people who win the peace prize are often, but not always, famous? Is it the celebrity factor?

The Australian of the Year awards often suck as the winner is usually a sports person. I understand that all fields of endeavour are to be praised but its quite lopsided in favouring the celebrity sportsperson.

As is the Nobel awards. Not the actual awards themselves but the reporting and the chatter.

Why?

Trendiness is not the custom or forte of the prize committee so I doubt they would confer the prize on 2 individuals who have (in 2005) succeeded only in organizing a massive rock concert (their other list of demands to government being tied up in so much red tape and conditionalities that who knows if Bono will ever get to "cash the checks" as he always states his job is to do) and also don't actually come from the community they are supposedly representing.

Congrads Beli....for the guys at work anyway:wink:

As to the Peace prize being "sexier", I guess you answer your own question....giving awards to people who sign peace treaties, stop or prevent conflicts, and bring people together in politcal conflcits is in itself much "sexier" an issue than medicine or science (or, these days, even literature.) To put it in a nutshell: war is sexier than medicine. And as such...many of the participants are often likely to be world leaders who sign treaties, or found charitible organizations (eg Mother Theresa, Doctors Without Borders) ..have already made headlines and/or are houseold names, whether they are celebrities or not. (Remember that Arafat shared a Noble with Peres. Quite possibly the most dubious Nobel ever given out....but showing that this is one award that is NOT "fixed", and CANNOT be bought. The Nobel Peace Prize committe may be the last truly independent organization on earth.

As to Bono getting it....maybe, in 20 yrs, when he is old, after a virtual lifetime of "working" for peace....but as he has often said, he has actually done little of the work. It;s the soldeirs in the streets who should get it, he says. I disagree....he should get recognition too....BUT....:wink:

And as I've said before, Vaclev Havel deserves the Prize much more right now. But nobody has ever honered the leader of the Velvet Revolution..even though all the other "revolutionaries" from that era seem to have been honored....

PS, I want to make a note for all of you who read my Zoo Confessionals post the other day. I have the situation worked out..for 3 more weeks anyway. I went to my landlady and told her the situation..she conferred with her boss, and they gave me the lease extension, and told me I could pay my rent on the 22nd. By which time, or course, I will have gotten another check. Of course, my bills will be thrown into disarray, but I can find some way to get hold of the money for my bills in three weeks. At least my lease is renewed...and thus they can't legally throw me out, I have a copy for myself. I guess they were both in a good mood....

Now, I am going to go tonight to Boston (I'm leaving now, from Albany) and to NYC on Friday, and I am going to enjoy my 2nd and 3rd time ever in the GA like I've never enjoyed 2 other u2 shows. I guess God DID want me to go after all....lucky I did not know how the black market works...:)

Dread, if you are reading this, it looks like I am going to go directly in. I won'teven get there until after 6. And yes, I DO want to see Keane West....I'll be in the back of the floor as it is, and as a short person can't see very well..but I don't care, I'll be able to have a much better spot on Friday.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

And as I've said before, Vaclev Havel deserves the Prize much more right now. But nobody has ever honered the leader of the Velvet Revolution..even though all the other "revolutionaries" from that era seem to have been honored....

:up:

agreed.

good luck with your housing situation, and have a great time at the concert.

Teta040 said:

Dread, if you are reading this, it looks like I am going to go directly in. I won'teven get there until after 6. And yes, I DO want to see Keane West....I'll be in the back of the floor as it is, and as a short person can't see very well..but I don't care, I'll be able to have a much better spot on Friday.

I am anticipating a 6PM arrival.....My cell will be on....I will be in the front row of section 11. You may catch me with Boston Anne.

Peace

I sincerely hope not. People need to remember that Bono and Geldof are just 'front men' for DATA, etc. They didn't come up with any of the ideas themselves. They may do worthwhile PR work, but what about people who do a lot more on the ground work but don't look for pats on the back from the media in the way that Bono and Geldof do?

financeguy said:
I sincerely hope not. People need to remember that Bono and Geldof are just 'front men' for DATA, etc. They didn't come up with any of the ideas themselves. They may do worthwhile PR work, but what about people who do a lot more on the ground work but don't look for pats on the back from the media in the way that Bono and Geldof do?

i think Bono and Geldorf would agree with you.

Teta040 said:

I agree, I have a great deal of respect for Vaclav Havel, he went to jail God knows how many times before the dictators got kicked out of the Castle in Prague to get rid of them. He should take home a Nobel. He's nominated, they need to give it to him.

shart1780 said:
If Bono gets the prize I'm going to kick myself in the face.

I don't know how I'll do it, but I'll find a way.

Yeah, why? I'd prefer Havel, to be honest, but I'm not going to kick myself if they decide to give it to Bono.

Really it is a POS prize to begin with ~ standing up other luminaries of world peace such as Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger. The most politically motivated of them all and the one that has lost the most glamour.

"Won't this year... will eventually."

"Won't--but should."

Thank you, BostonAnne and verte - I agree.

(although I wish Bono and Geldof would win this year):hug:

"Yes...he will receive the PRIZE and a years supply of Laundry detergent and dog Biscuits...all supplied by our favorite sponsor!!
Thank you for playing the game Mister Bono.
We shall be back for more exciting prizes give-a-ways , but now a word from our sponsors!

TV screen goes into a commercial.

A_Wanderer said:
Really it is a POS prize to begin with ~ standing up other luminaries of world peace such as Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger. The most politically motivated of them all and the one that has lost the most glamour.

Yeah, some real creeps have gotten it, but it's OK to hope it "returns to form" and goes to a real peace-maker.

Back
Top Bottom