No Pussycat Doll Dolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Call me old fashioned but I don't think dolls based on that group are the best type of doll for girls to be playing with. It is for a more mature audience. I think perhaps dolls and the way girls view them can have a greater impact on kids than we might realize. Of course the body image of Barbie isn't exactly realistic, well it wasn't way back in the day when I played with them. Maybe now it has changed. And Barbie now has all kinds of career options and the like and has split with Ken-but I think they got back together :wink:

PAWTUCKET, R.I. — Hasbro Inc. shelved plans Wednesday to release a line of dolls based on the Pussycat Dolls, an all-female music group known for risque lyrics and skimpy outfits.

Hasbro, the nation's second biggest toy maker, said it decided the dolls were "inappropriate" for the company to market and that the pop group catered to a more mature audience.

The move comes amid criticism from a national advocacy group, Dads & Daughters, that had campaigned against the doll line.

The company had reached a deal with Interscope Records, the group's label, to release dolls modeled after the popular sextet -- whose songs include the hit single, "Don't Cha." But it released a statement Wednesday saying it had abandoned plans for the doll line.

"Interscope's current creative direction and images for the recording group are focused on a much older target than we had anticipated at the time of our original discussions, thereby making a doll line inappropriate for Hasbro," the company said.

A Hasbro spokeswoman, Gail Carvelli, declined to comment beyond the statement.

Joe Kelly, president of Dads & Daughters, which organized a letter-writing campaign to get Hasbro to cancel the doll line, said he was pleased with the company's decision.

We asked Hasbro executives to imagine encouraging their own six-year-old daughters and granddaughters to engage in developmentally unhealthy behavior," Kelly said in a statement.

"It appears that they did that, and then made the right decision for their families, our families, and the company."

Here is the web site for the Dads And Daughters group, it's nice to see fathers specifically concerned with issues like that regarding their daughters. The father/daughter relationship can be important in how daughters view themselves.

http://www.dadsanddaughters.org/

:up: sounds like a good organization.

I'm glad Hasbro realized that marketing sexualization to kindergarden age girls is not worth the profit.

I don't know why Hasbro considered it in the first place... I mean, didn't they have the sense to see the potential backlash in marketing burlesque-ly dolls for little girls, or even imagine it on the shelves of stores like Toys 'R Us, Walmart, or whatnot?

I have no qualms towards dolls, but sometimes you have to think about what you're going to create, if you market these types of dolls for little children.

Hasbro tries to market sensibly...I've often visited their web page and found the criteria quite researched.

:|

pussycatdolls.dolls.jpg

B00097E7QC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

toy.jpg

what toys are right for 5 year olds?

deep said:
pussycatdolls.dolls.jpg

B00097E7QC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

toy.jpg

what toys are right for 5 year olds?

the ones that get them excited about colonialist adventures in far away deserts, NOT ones that will make them break their high school virginity pledges.

sheesh.

I guess there are really no way to determine what's right and what's not right for little children to play with.

I suppose the judgement of the person who's going to purchase said toys would be best in determining it.

Back
Top Bottom