No More Trent Lott!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...d=514&e=1&u=/ap/20021220/ap_on_go_co/lott_152

Lott Resigns As Senate Republican Leader
20 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALAN FRAM, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Bowing to pressure from his fellow senators and the Bush White House, Sen. Trent Lott (news, bio, voting record) resigned his position as Senate majority leader on Friday after his colleagues openly began lining up behind Tennessee Sen. Bill Frist (news, bio, voting record).

"In the interest of pursuing the best possible agenda for the future of our country, I will not seek to remain as majority leader of the United States Senate for the 108th Congress, effective Jan. 6, 2003," Lott said in a written statement. "To all those who offered me their friendship, support and prayers, I will be eternally grateful. I will continue to serve the people of Mississippi in the United States Senate."

With Lott's departure, the only declared candidate for his post so far has been Frist, a close ally of President Bush (news - web sites). Frist, who made his candidacy known Thursday evening, had garnered public support from several senators before Lott announced his decision.

But Republican Sens. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania also were considered possible rivals for the job.

The 51 GOP senators who will serve in the next Congress plan to meet Jan. 6 to decide who their next leader will be.

Lott's methodical resignation ? a terse statement released from the office of Senate Republican leader here ? culminated a weeks-long controversy over Lott's racially insensitive comments.

His decision amounted to a 180-degree about-face.

Earlier this week, Lott had vowed to stay and fight, saying that "I was elected by the people of Mississippi to a six year term. ... I have a contract and I'm going to fulfill it."

Lott's fall followed a tribute that Lott gave earlier this month at Sen. Strom Thurmond (news, bio, voting record)'s 100th birthday party.

The Mississippian at the time hailed the venerable South Carolinian and said he thought the nation would have been better off if Thurmond had won his campaign for the presidency in 1948. Thurmond ran as a Dixiecrat at the time, on a mostly segregationist platform.

One Republican official said that Lott's office had informed White House officials beforehand of his decision. Despite speculation that Lott would demand a committee chairmanship or some other consolation prize, this official said Lott was stepping down with no strings attached.

Lott, 61, has been the Senate GOP leader since 1996, when Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., left the Senate to devote full time to his unsuccessful presidential bid.

At the Thurmond birthday party, Lott said: "I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either."

The remarks drew immediate criticism from black leaders and Democrats. They were quickly joined by conservatives worried that the comments would create a distracting firestorm that would harm the White House's and GOP's efforts to advance their legislative agenda.

While Lott initially attempted to stomp out the controversy with a terse press release and telephone interviews on radio and television, it began to spin out of control after President Bush issued a forceful denunciation of his remarks last week.

Leadership elections, conducted by secret ballot, are notoriously unpredictable affairs in which promised votes fail to materialize and lawmakers' decisions are based on personal relationships, past conflicts and any number of unpredictable factors.

While Lott had gained expressions of support from several veteran Republicans, Frist's campaign work gives him a ready constituency ? the eight newly elected GOP senators.

Frist, 50 and in his second Senate term, has worked closely with the Bush administration. A wealthy heart surgeon before coming to Congress in 1995, Frist has been a leading GOP voice on prescription drugs and other health care issues.

Hours before Lott's announcement, veteran Sen. Pete Domenici (news, bio, voting record), R-N.M., reversed field and endorsed Frist after initially saying he would stand behind Lott. homestate of Tennessee.

Bond said he "concluded that the current controversy has completely overshadowed our efforts to expand the American dream to all Americans. This is unacceptable." He said he told Lott that in a telephone conversation Thursday.

While Lott had initially gained expressions of support from several veteran Republicans, Frist's campaign work gave him a ready constituency ? the eight newly elected GOP senators.

Frist, 50 and in his second Senate term, has worked closely with the Bush administration. A wealthy heart surgeon before coming to Congress in 1995, Frist has been a leading GOP voice on prescription drugs and other health care issues.

One senator who has spoken to Frist cautioned that Frist's candidacy could be hurt by a perception that he may be too close to the White House.

"They don't want a senator who's a yes man for the president and Rove over here," said the senator, referring to top White House political adviser Karl Rove.

Until now, Republican lawmakers, aides and lobbyists had said Frist was reluctant to seek the job. Besides being a political lightning rod for attacks by Democrats, the post would be extremely time-consuming, taking away from his pursuit of health issues and, perhaps, preparations for a White House run in 2008.

Good riddance.

Melon

I'm being irrational. I don't care about what he said. I'm glad that conserative a$$ is gone. The GOP can do far better.

Melon

melon said:
I'm being irrational. I don't care about what he said. I'm glad that conserative a$$ is gone. The GOP can do far better.

Melon

Actually, I agree with you on the change in leadership. The methodology to force change is :censored:

melon said:

Melon
I predicted about 2 weeks ago

good news for America.:up:
Im glad he put the nation's intreset ahead of his own..maybe a week or 2 late but just the same, the country will recover..:)

Peace-

DB9

Last edited:
I find it sickening.....

I dislike Lott immensely, but I do not believe he should have been forced out.

Clinton committed perjury...........
Lott said something dumb........

I am truly amazed at how many people prefer the liar.

Peace

Dreadsox said:

Lott said something dumb........

No, he expressed what he's always felt. He is a racist, and he forgot that times have changed and no one is going to put up with that shit anymore. Praising Thurmond twice for running for president as a segregationist is out of sync in America. Protected, but out of the mainstream.

Crusader, it wasn't the speech police. No one told him he couldn't continue to express his racist, bullshit views. He just can't expect people to put up with it anymore. He got called on it. Times change, thank God.

martha said:

No, he expressed what he's always felt. He is a racist, and he forgot that times have changed and no one is going to put up with that shit anymore. Praising Thurmond twice for running for president as a segregationist is out of sync in America. Protected, but out of the mainstream.

Crusader, it wasn't the speech police. No one told him he couldn't continue to express his racist, bullshit views. He just can't expect people to put up with it anymore. He got called on it. Times change, thank God.

I said I do not like him. I just find it rediculous that a president can commit perjury(A CRIME) and nothing happens. Lott says something (Stupid and awful) and loses his job.

Peace

Dreadsox:

Clinton committed adultery, then lied about it in testimony when it was being used against him to establish pattern and practice in cases that would be considered sexual harrasment if a Republican Senator or wealthy businessman had been accused of such. However, in these new days, many people accept adultery as a common and personal private event, which somehow gives certain people the Constitutional right to lie about it. I have even heard some people say that they admire former President Clinton FOR having extramarital sexual adventures because it makes such acts more acceptable.

I disagree with you on Senator Lott; I think it is wonderful that he stepped down due to pressure; remember: he is a public figure and is subject to more scrutiny than the average member of the web-based community known as www.interference.com and what-not. The only thing he has been forced "out" of is his Senate leadership position, and I am beyond certain that we will all benefit from this change in leadership. And maybe Senator Lott will quit trying to put oil rigs on the Emerald Coast.

~U2Alabama

Let me again state.....

I DO NOT LIKE THE GUY. I would not vote for him if I could! Deep down I am happy he is not in a leadership position. He gives republicans a bad name. That said, I also believe he was cut by the Republican leadership to better their immage. Maybe that is the right thing to do. This has nothing to do with the outcry from the left wingers in this country. It has everything to do with Republicans working on their position in the country.

DO I think Lott thinks backasswards? Yes.
However, I think it rediculous that a man can speak at a party honoring a man (wether you like Strom or not, I do not) who has dedicated his life to public service, and lose a position of leadership over a comment meant to make a 100 year old man happy.

I am amazed at how many people worry about the patriot act and the loss of privacy and rights who want to lynch this man. Freedom of speech????????? What happened to it???? Since when do we have to be politically correct all the time. The right to say things does not mean we have to say intelligent things! I am probably making a good case for that right now :sexywink:

Has Jessie Jackson apologized for his comments about NY?
Has Senator Kerrey apologized about his comments about Italiens this past week?

Lott apologized many times.

Clinton......Lying under oath when he had taken a OATH to uphold the constitution....Is a far more offensive thing to me. Especially when people men and women in our armed forces have lost careers for lesser offences. People who put their lives on the line for us all are held to a higher standard than the president.

Where was Clinton's apology?

PEACE

Dread-
The Republicans respect the rule of law.
As far as racial issues, we can unequivocably say that we care/and act based on our record.
The Democrats cannot.
They can only watch on the sidelines as we conduct ourselves in a dignified calm orderly manner.
Not to worry my friend.
This move will unite the country as the opposition scrambles to find another "topic of the week"
Stand at ease.

Your friend-

Diamond

Last edited:
I did not intend to imply that you liked Senator Lott. And I did intend to add that I really liked the article you posted the other day addressing the offensive remarks of Senator Kerry and "Reverend" Jackson.

It is a common misconception that all of the old segregationist "Dixiecratic" types later became Republicans. This is not the case; Al Gore Sr., Fritz Hollings, the late George Wallace, and last but not least, Democratic Senator (and former KKK member) Robert Byrd of West Virginia, who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for 14 hours and still uses the "n-word," all of these men remained Democrats. Where is the uproar about these guys? I will say it again: it all comes down to whether they have an "R" or a "D" next to their name.

Former President Clinton pointed his crooked finger this week at Republicans, calling them hypocrites. He also should have pointed that crooked finger at the Gore family, with Al Gore, Jr., calling Trent Lott a racist while his own father, Al Gore, Sr. opposed Civil Rights legislation! Partisan liberals wish that such information could be censored.

As far as the whole patriot act scare, I remember myself supporting Janet Reno and the Department of Justice throughout all of the Waco and Ruby Ridge incidents. I still support the actions and positions taken in each situation. At that time, I was even in support of the feds having the ability to monitor hate groups, militias, and such. But also at that time, that is about where I drew the line; when would they start monitoring their political opponents? My liberal friends comforted me and said, "you don't have anything to worry about unless you are a racist or militia member, etc." Where should I draw that line today? I guess it is okay to monitor "right wing" groups but not potential terrorists. Oh well.

~U2Alabama

I don't know how you missed it.

"Lott apologized many times.

Clinton......Lying under oath when he had taken a OATH to uphold the constitution....Is a far more offensive thing to me. Especially when people men and women in our armed forces have lost careers for lesser offences. People who put their lives on the line for us all are held to a higher standard than the president.

Where was Clinton's apology? "

Clinton apology: the full text

Friday December 11, 1998

Statement by the President

As anyone close to me knows, for months I have been grappling with how best to reconcile myself to the American people, to acknowledge my own wrongdoing and still to maintain my focus on the work of the presidency.

Others are presenting my defense on the facts, the law, and the Constitution. Nothing I can say now can add to that. What I want the American people to know, what I want the Congress to know is that I am profoundly sorry for all I have done wrong in words and deeds. I never should have misled the country, the Congress, my friends or my family. Quite simply, I gave into my shame.

I have been condemned by my accusers with harsh words. And while it's hard to hear yourself called deceitful and manipulative, I remember Ben Franklin's admonition that our critics are our friends, for they do show us our faults.

Mere words cannot fully express the profound remorse I feel for what our country is going through, and for what members of both parties in Congress are now forced to deal with.

These past months have been a tortuous process of coming to terms with what I did. I understand that accountability demands consequences, and I'm prepared to accept them. Painful though the condemnation of the Congress would be, it would pale in comparison to the consequences of the pain I have caused my family. There is no greater agony.

Like anyone who honestly faces the shame of wrongful conduct, I would give anything to go back and undo what I did. But one of the painful truths I have to live with is the reality that that is simply not possible. An old and dear friend of mine recently sent me the wisdom of a poet, who wrote, "The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on. Nor all your piety, nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line. Nor all your tears wash out a word of it.

So nothing - not piety, nor tears, nor wit, nor torment - can alter what I have done. I must make my peace with that. I must also be at peace with the fact that the public consequences of my actions are in the hands of the American people and their representatives in the Congress. Should they determine that my errors of word and deed require their rebuke and censure, I am ready to accept that.

Meanwhile, I will continue to do all I can to reclaim the trust of the American people and to serve them well. We must all return to the work, the vital work, of strengthening our nation for the new century. Our country has wonderful opportunities and daunting challenges ahead. I intend to seize those opportunities and meet those challenges with all the energy and ability, and strength God has given me.

That is simply all I can do - the work of the American people.

Thank you very much.

Dread,

Type Clinton +apology in google, your computer might crash.

This guy apologized for everything, slavery, tuskagee, korean war masacre, America indians, new coke, Rwanda genocide and monica sex incident.

No! No!!!!!

I am talking about the.....

I am sorry I do not have the integrity to step down from the office of which I hold.

Nixon at least had the character trait to not put the country through the crap.

Lott, apologized immediately 5 times by my count.

Clinton lied....
Lied......
Lied......
Accused others of conspiracy......
Lied......
Lied......
Dragged it on for a year......
Bombed a Pharmacutical Plant in Africa the day the interview tapes were released when he said it depends on what "IS IS"(BTW Bombed it against the advice of his intelligence agencies and others)
ect....
ect....
ect....

Lets see.....Apologized when....Just before the IMPEACHMENT VOTE almost a YEAR LATER?????????Please....Give me a break, they were within days of voting to impeach.

He did not give into his shame!!!!!! LOL He was covering up a pattern that had existed for years. He was trying to prevent someone from proving he used his position to get SEX when he was Governor. He was interfering with a citizens right to a fair trial when he was supposed to be upholding the law.

Really....since we no longer have the "moral authority" to say don't develop WMD because we used them......

Couldn't the same be said about Clinton.....That he no longer had the moral authority to lead this country?

One last thing.....
Al Gore would be President right now if Clinton had resigned. Think about it. He would have had two years under his belt going into the election. The power of a sitting President in that election would have made a difference. But, no, do not act with integrity and honor. It must be a right wing conspiracy.

Please Deep, fine...technically I guess that was an apology, maybe I overstepped saying he did not, but how does what Lott said compare to what this man did??????

Peace

Bama....Excellent post.....U da man!!!!

Bama :up:

Dreadsox :up:

I agree with you both. And I especially appreciate how you guys take the time to respond intelligently in this forum.

:yes:

Hell, I appreciate everyone's posts

Last edited:
It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

Why are you defending him? Seriously. Why? And please try to keep the focus of your comments on Trent. Please don't point to the other boys who jumped off the roof, too, and didn't get yelled at.

Why would you defend a bigoted old bastard who finally got the shit he deserved for the thinking and actions he's pursued for years?

Or you can dismiss me as a liberal, and refuse to answer me. (Which will answer my question in ways you may not have intended.)

(Notice how I've not mentioned anyone else here, not any other Republicans or Democrats who've said stupid, racist stuff.)

Hi Martha!

I did not bring up others to get off the subject but to make a point. I do not believe in smokescreens, and I think my posts reflect that I was making a point.

If we truly believe in the freedom of speech and the ability to express ideas, then to remove someone from power because of something they said is wrong.

As for Mr. Lott.....He did not say, if you had won we would be better off because segregation would have made the country better. He made his comments and they have been interpreted to mean certain things. He made his comments at a party for a 100 year old man. A man, who despite his wretched beliefs, has served his nation, his state, and the people for a long long time. He made his comments, based on what I saw on TV to make the 100 year old man feel good not to say he believes the country would be better off because of segregation. There are a 1,000 other issues that he could have been referring to with his comments.

Do I like Lott. No. Do I think segregation was an abomination on this country? Yes. Do I think it was a racist policy? Yes.

Peace

Last edited:
diamond said:

the "shrill" will always be w us..:|
ignore him Matt, hes attempting to bait u.:down:

Diamond

All right, diamond, deep asked a question and dread answered it. There was no need for you to throw in your 2 cents from the proverbial peanut gallery. Let's keep this as pleasant as a discussion about a throwback segregationalist ex-Senate majority leader can be.

Im w Martha on this.

Even tho the left gets a a pass w some of their racists/racial comments - there is a double standard, Trents comments showed his racial obtuseness and insensitivity as an American Leader .

Im proud to say we hold a higher standard now on righting wrong things said by our leaders.

The Democrats cannot claim this.:)
We can.

Pax-
hi there..:):wave:;)

DB9

Last edited:
martha said:
It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

Why are you defending him? Seriously. Why? And please try to keep the focus of your comments on Trent. Please don't point to the other boys who jumped off the roof, too, and didn't get yelled at.

Why would you defend a bigoted old bastard who finally got the shit he deserved for the thinking and actions he's pursued for years?

Or you can dismiss me as a liberal, and refuse to answer me. (Which will answer my question in ways you may not have intended.)

(Notice how I've not mentioned anyone else here, not any other Republicans or Democrats who've said stupid, racist stuff.)

Alright, let's focus on Trent Lott and what he said and where he said it. Off the cuff remarks at Strom Thurman's 100th birthday is more akin to comments made at a celebrity roast than a politicians official policy statement.

If you're principle is that we should judge others by what they say, whenever they say it, no matter what the context, then you are painting a picture of a world that most of us would not want to live in.

Also, forum members do not have an obligation to post or reply. Silence does not give you an answer.

nbcrusader said:

Alright, let's focus on Trent Lott and what he said and where he said it. Off the cuff remarks at Strom Thurman's 100th birthday is more akin to comments made at a celebrity roast than a politicians official policy statement.

.... no matter what the context, ....

From the LA Times today (they cite the Washington Post as their source):

"You know, if we had elected this man [Thurmond] 30 years ago, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today." Rep. Trent Lott in 1980

Lott's got a record a mile long as a racist Southerner. And age doesn't excuse Strom Thurmond's record, either. I don't care how old he is.

diamond said:
Im proud to say we hold a higher standard now on righting wrong things said by our leaders.

*awaits gay rights legislation then

Melon

Back
Top Bottom