No More Trent Lott! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2002, 09:59 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Bama

Dreadsox

I agree with you both. And I especially appreciate how you guys take the time to respond intelligently in this forum.

Hell, I appreciate everyone's posts

Old 12-21-2002, 11:36 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
It must be a right wing conspiracy.
Vastly.

And dread, nb, #9, and BAW, thank you for your commendations, though I am not worthy.

Happy Festivus.

~U2Alabama

Old 12-21-2002, 03:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 PM
It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

Why are you defending him? Seriously. Why? And please try to keep the focus of your comments on Trent. Please don't point to the other boys who jumped off the roof, too, and didn't get yelled at.

Why would you defend a bigoted old bastard who finally got the shit he deserved for the thinking and actions he's pursued for years?

Or you can dismiss me as a liberal, and refuse to answer me. (Which will answer my question in ways you may not have intended.)

(Notice how I've not mentioned anyone else here, not any other Republicans or Democrats who've said stupid, racist stuff.)
Old 12-21-2002, 04:42 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Hi Martha!

I did not bring up others to get off the subject but to make a point. I do not believe in smokescreens, and I think my posts reflect that I was making a point.

If we truly believe in the freedom of speech and the ability to express ideas, then to remove someone from power because of something they said is wrong.

As for Mr. Lott.....He did not say, if you had won we would be better off because segregation would have made the country better. He made his comments and they have been interpreted to mean certain things. He made his comments at a party for a 100 year old man. A man, who despite his wretched beliefs, has served his nation, his state, and the people for a long long time. He made his comments, based on what I saw on TV to make the 100 year old man feel good not to say he believes the country would be better off because of segregation. There are a 1,000 other issues that he could have been referring to with his comments.

Do I like Lott. No. Do I think segregation was an abomination on this country? Yes. Do I think it was a racist policy? Yes.

Peace
Old 12-21-2002, 04:57 PM   #25
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

the "shrill" will always be w us..
ignore him Matt, hes attempting to bait u.

Diamond
All right, diamond, deep asked a question and dread answered it. There was no need for you to throw in your 2 cents from the proverbial peanut gallery. Let's keep this as pleasant as a discussion about a throwback segregationalist ex-Senate majority leader can be.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:25 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Im w Martha on this.

Even tho the left gets a a pass w some of their racists/racial comments - there is a double standard, Trents comments showed his racial obtuseness and insensitivity as an American Leader .

Im proud to say we hold a higher standard now on righting wrong things said by our leaders.

The Democrats cannot claim this.
We can.

Pax-
hi there..

DB9
Old 12-21-2002, 05:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

Why are you defending him? Seriously. Why? And please try to keep the focus of your comments on Trent. Please don't point to the other boys who jumped off the roof, too, and didn't get yelled at.

Why would you defend a bigoted old bastard who finally got the shit he deserved for the thinking and actions he's pursued for years?

Or you can dismiss me as a liberal, and refuse to answer me. (Which will answer my question in ways you may not have intended.)

(Notice how I've not mentioned anyone else here, not any other Republicans or Democrats who've said stupid, racist stuff.)
Alright, let's focus on Trent Lott and what he said and where he said it. Off the cuff remarks at Strom Thurman's 100th birthday is more akin to comments made at a celebrity roast than a politicians official policy statement.

If you're principle is that we should judge others by what they say, whenever they say it, no matter what the context, then you are painting a picture of a world that most of us would not want to live in.

Also, forum members do not have an obligation to post or reply. Silence does not give you an answer.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:09 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Alright, let's focus on Trent Lott and what he said and where he said it. Off the cuff remarks at Strom Thurman's 100th birthday is more akin to comments made at a celebrity roast than a politicians official policy statement.

.... no matter what the context, ....

From the LA Times today (they cite the Washington Post as their source):

"You know, if we had elected this man [Thurmond] 30 years ago, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today." Rep. Trent Lott in 1980

Lott's got a record a mile long as a racist Southerner. And age doesn't excuse Strom Thurmond's record, either. I don't care how old he is.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:11 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The Democrats cannot claim this.
You brought in others, DB.

:spank:
Old 12-21-2002, 06:15 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Im proud to say we hold a higher standard now on righting wrong things said by our leaders.
*awaits gay rights legislation then

Melon
Old 12-21-2002, 06:24 PM   #31
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
with Al Gore, Jr., calling Trent Lott a racist while his own father, Al Gore, Sr. opposed Civil Rights legislation!
I don't get this part
Trent Lott isn't a racist because Al Gore Sr. could also be called one??
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-21-2002, 06:26 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

I believe Bama is referring to Al Gore Jr. pointing the finger at Trent Lott, while his own father supported the same causes as Trent.

Peace
Old 12-21-2002, 06:28 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

*awaits gay rights legislation then

Melon
I await straight white male legislation!!!!!

Old 12-21-2002, 06:29 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

I am with you Diamond, I do believe the party is better off with him stepping down. I am also proud that the party is policing its own.

Peace
Old 12-21-2002, 06:35 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I await straight white male legislation!!!!!

This isn't even close to being funny, Dreadsox. Like straight white guys are persecuted. Come on. This is the clever little saying that you guys like to throw around instead of addressing the real issue of gay rights and the Republican lip service to "keeping government out of people's lives."

This pisses me off every time it's trotted out.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:05 PM   #36
you are what you is

Quote:
I believe Bama is referring to Al Gore Jr. pointing the finger at Trent Lott, while his own father supported the same causes as Trent.
I still don't have a clue what that has to do with anything
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Martha
Melon
Let it b understood, we removed a person who did not adequately represent our party nor America.
We removed him quietly swiftly, like a skilled surgeon removing a cancer growth..

Do not think that because of this, we are now planning on changing policy on every social issue.
That all of a sudden the left has carte blanche to their agenda.
No no little friends, this is inncorrect.
The policies promlugated by the left have failed miserably over the last 4 decades.
Our course remains the same.

Our words to you are as far as bigots/intolerence is concerned is.."Do thou likewise"
That said we teach you a new word.."accontability"

God Bless
Peace
Out-

Diamond

ps-whos your daddy
thank u
Old 12-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Lott's got a record a mile long as a racist Southerner. And age doesn't excuse Strom Thurmond's record, either. I don't care how old he is.
No one is defending Lott's record. No one is supporting segregationist policies, etc.

The issue is should someone lose their job because of a casual comment. Even worse, as your qote points out, Lott did not say "we'd be better off because of your segregationist policies".

I bet every politician who has made a run at the White House has heard the statement "we'd be better off if you'd won". Does that then imply that you stand for every position the former candidate held?

I'll state it again, the word police had their field day.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:12 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I don't get this part
Trent Lott isn't a racist because Al Gore Sr. could also be called one??
Salome
Racists know no polictical boundries.
Republicans get called on it here, Democrats do not..that is the point..

DB9
Old 12-21-2002, 07:20 PM   #40
you are what you is

so you are upset because there isn't a thread in here that claims that Al Gore Sr. is a racist?

~Frank Zappa