No More Trent Lott!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Bama said:
with Al Gore, Jr., calling Trent Lott a racist while his own father, Al Gore, Sr. opposed Civil Rights legislation!
I don't get this part
Trent Lott isn't a racist because Al Gore Sr. could also be called one??

I believe Bama is referring to Al Gore Jr. pointing the finger at Trent Lott, while his own father supported the same causes as Trent.

Peace

I am with you Diamond, I do believe the party is better off with him stepping down. I am also proud that the party is policing its own.

Peace

Dreadsox said:

I await straight white male legislation!!!!!

:sexywink:

This isn't even close to being funny, Dreadsox. Like straight white guys are persecuted. :tsk: Come on. This is the clever little saying that you guys like to throw around instead of addressing the real issue of gay rights and the Republican lip service to "keeping government out of people's lives."

This pisses me off every time it's trotted out.

Dreadsox said:
I believe Bama is referring to Al Gore Jr. pointing the finger at Trent Lott, while his own father supported the same causes as Trent.
I still don't have a clue what that has to do with anything

Martha
Melon
Let it b understood, we removed a person who did not adequately represent our party nor America.
We removed him quietly swiftly, like a skilled surgeon removing a cancer growth..

Do not think that because of this, we are now planning on changing policy on every social issue.
That all of a sudden the left has carte blanche to their agenda.
No no little friends, this is inncorrect.
The policies promlugated by the left have failed miserably over the last 4 decades.
Our course remains the same.

Our words to you are as far as bigots/intolerence is concerned is.."Do thou likewise"
That said we teach you a new word.."accontability"

God Bless
Peace
Out-

Diamond
:sexywink:

ps-whos your daddy:angry:
thank u
:mac:

Last edited:
martha said:
Lott's got a record a mile long as a racist Southerner. And age doesn't excuse Strom Thurmond's record, either. I don't care how old he is.

No one is defending Lott's record. No one is supporting segregationist policies, etc.

The issue is should someone lose their job because of a casual comment. Even worse, as your qote points out, Lott did not say "we'd be better off because of your segregationist policies".

I bet every politician who has made a run at the White House has heard the statement "we'd be better off if you'd won". Does that then imply that you stand for every position the former candidate held?

I'll state it again, the word police had their field day.

Salome said:
I don't get this part
Trent Lott isn't a racist because Al Gore Sr. could also be called one??
Salome
Racists know no polictical boundries.
Republicans get called on it here, Democrats do not..that is the point..

DB9

so you are upset because there isn't a thread in here that claims that Al Gore Sr. is a racist?

nbcrusader said:
The issue is should someone lose their job because of a casual comment.
my boss would fire my ass if I would make casual comments like that

Salome said:
so you are upset because there isn't a thread in here that claims that Al Gore Sr. is a racist?
no not upset.
pointing out the disparity of their hypocrsy.
the hype spun by the left is that they are "pure as the driven snow"..
they have a field day in the Media esp of pointing out only racists/bigots on the right.
they never weed out their bigots as the republicans just have..

after Trents dismissal the reublicans can now turn the mirror on the democrats..

u seem openminded enough to follow the concept..

diamond

martha said:

This isn't even close to being funny, Dreadsox. Like straight white guys are persecuted. :tsk: Come on. This is the clever little saying that you guys like to throw around instead of addressing the real issue of gay rights and the Republican lip service to "keeping government out of people's lives."

This pisses me off every time it's trotted out.

Ya know Martha, I have responded respectfully to your posts.

The point is, I believe the constitution already covers people of different color/sex/orientation or add anything you want to add to it. I suppose we could add Amendments to it for every special interest group if we wanted to.

If my sense of humor offended you, I am sorry. I have nothing but respect for my fellow man, straight, gay or whatever. As a matter of fact, I do believe I was quite outspoken about my belief that gay couples should be allowed to adopt on this board.

All this is fine and dandy, however, it really does not belong in this thread now does it?

Peace

martha said:

It wasn't a casual comment.

Martha is right about this. :larry: :|
He was bad for America.
all racists are of ANY polictical affiliarion who refuse to take ownership of personal responsibility of bigoted statements are bad for America..

Also Senators and Presidents who-
abuse power
obstruct the law
lie under oath
prey on women
refuse to take ownership of their wrong doings are bad for America
and
bad for humanity..
Simple as that.

Long story short, Trent did the right thing for his country by stepping down, at the end of the day, while others have not.

Diamond

Last edited:
martha said:

It wasn't a casual comment.

It's disingenuous of you to keep insisting that it was. Go back and look at this man's voting record in Congress.

I am not disputing Lott's record or anything he has said from the Senate floor. But your stance cannot be maintained unless you link his record with his comment.

Each one of my posts has focused on the comment alone. A toast at a birthday party, absent extenuating circumstances, is a casual comment.

Dreadsox said:

Ya know Martha, I have responded respectfully to your posts.

The point is, I believe the constitution already covers people of different color/sex/orientation or add anything you want to add to it. I suppose we could add Amendments to it for every special interest group if we wanted to.

If my sense of humor offended you, I am sorry. I have nothing but respect for my fellow man, straight, gay or whatever. As a matter of fact, I do believe I was quite outspoken about my belief that gay couples should be allowed to adopt on this board.

All this is fine and dandy, however, it really does not belong in this thread now does it?

Peace

I didn't bring this issue up. Melon did. You made fun of him. I responded to you.

Your sense of humor at times thinly veils your hostility. Some of your responses to me in other threads have been neither respectful nor appropriate. They're condescending at times, like the last line above. You once wondered aloud when I'd cut you the slack I cut Diamond. I said that I'd let you know. Not yet. It'll happen when you really do show me, and others, respect.

Dreadsox said:
President Bush did not want Lott to step down.
President Bush does not think he is a bigot.

This coming weeks US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT.

http://ad.smni.com/ad/launchjsrdir.asp?po=1081236146

Interesting.....
I read a article totally differnt from this today that said the exact opposite.
I think privarely he did, publicly he will always say things to assuage the wounded..
GW is a brilliant polictian.

DB9:|

martha said:

I didn't bring this issue up. Melon did. You made fun of him. I responded to you.

Your sense of humor at times thinly veils your hostility. Some of your responses to me in other threads have been neither respectful nor appropriate. They're condescending at times, like the last line above. You once wondered aloud when I'd cut you the slack I cut Diamond. I said that I'd let you know. Not yet. It'll happen when you really do show me, and others, respect.

I am truly sorry you feel this way.

As for your implying I am "hostile"......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL

Dreadsox said:

Actually, orientation is not covered under the constitution or amendments, as currently interpreted by the Supreme Court. And we did add amendments for "special interests"--non-whites with Amendment 15 and women with Amendment 19.

Sorry, but your argument doesn't carry weight.

Melon

martha said:
It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

hahahaha, bravo martha, bravo. ;) :up:

diamond said:
The policies promlugated by the left have failed miserably over the last 4 decades.

Care to elaborate over this sweeping generalization?

Melon

melon said:

Actually, orientation is not covered under the constitution or amendments, as currently interpreted by the Supreme Court. And we did add amendments for "special interests"--non-whites with Amendment 15 and women with Amendment 19.

Sorry, but your argument doesn't carry weight.

Melon

I think this would make an excellent thread.

diamond said:

[People bad for American would include] Senators and Presidents who-
abuse power
obstruct the law
lie under oath
prey on women
refuse to take ownership of their wrong doings are bad for America
and
bad for humanity..
Simple as that.

Oh, you mean Bob Packwood? :lmao:

Dreadsox said:
I am sorry I do not have the integrity to step down from the office of which I hold.

Nixon at least had the character trait to not put the country through the crap.

There is a *big* difference between Watergate and having sex with an intern. Can you say "diversion legislation"?

Impeachment, in both instances it was evoked, was nothing but a political ploy to humiliate the president. For Andrew Johnson, it was over his refusal to accept a law that the 3/4 Republican Congress imposed that was later declared unconstitutional in the 1870s. But it was already too late: his name was smeared all over the place, and that was all that mattered. For Clinton, it was no different. What does Kenneth Starr's successor determine about Whitewater--you know, what the independent counsel was *supposed* to investigate, but, rather, went off on some tawdry, tabloid-worthy sex investigation--after Clinton is out of office? He's innocent. But where was that in the evening news?

Nixon? He was completely guilty, and Nixon had the taped conversations to prove it.

In addition, there is a *huge* difference between being Senate Majority Leader and the President. If Bush made comments like Trent Lott did, do any of us expect that Bush would have resigned? Not really. Quite frankly, resignation seems to be the fate of all of the Republican Majority Leaders since the Republicans regained power in the Senate in the 1990s.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom