No boobies in Parliament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Seems this has now become an issue of sexual discrimination. Kirstie Marshall was asked to leave as she brought her 11 day old baby in Parliament's Question Time and was breastfeeding at the time. She was asked to feed her baby in the designated area as no members of the public are allowed in, but now everyone is of course up in arms about the wider issues it addresses. I think its taking it a bit too far personally. Not to say these issues of working mothers etc aren't relevant, of course.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/27/1046064162764.html

In California, a woman can breastfeed her baby anywhere, anytime.

We've taken our boobies back!!!!

Only perverts and the terminally uptight get upset by seeing a mother breastfeed her child. That is what breasts are for!!

Perhaps John Ashcroft can buy a six-figure priced cloth to cover up her breasts. :sexywink:

Melon

martha said:
In California, a woman can breastfeed her baby anywhere, anytime.

Same here. I never thought it could be something to be ashamed of or seen as an improper behaviour. Babies cannot wait. When my two children were babies they were my bosses, LOL

Oh, I can't believe it. They want to kick someone out for breast-feeding a baby? We've got to have babies! Come on.............:censored:

martha said:
Only perverts and the terminally uptight get upset by seeing a mother breastfeed her child. That is what breasts are for!!

I guess that makes my father-in-law a terminally uptight pervert. When I was breastfeeding my son, he would leave the room :rolleyes:

I breastfed long after going back to work and while my boss (a woman) was supportive, a few other co-workers complained about me having my breastpump at work!

Yes this is what breasts are for!! It's been this way for uh. . . several thousand years now :der:

I'm ready to get flamed for this one...

Let me see if I have this right...this woman was a member of parliament or just a visitor sitting in on the session? If she was just a visitor, then by all means, she and her breast feeding baby should have been allowed to stay.

But if she is a member of parliament, then she was "at work" and I have to take issue with her decision. I returned to teaching when my first born was two months old and while he was still 100% breastfed. This meant I pumped before and after class. There is NO WAY I could have taken him with me, taught my class and not have caused a major distraction.

Working parents have to make tough decisions about childcare, this starts from the moment they return to work. I don't like it, I wish there was a perfect answer, but there isn't. You make sacrifices when you have kids, that's part of the program.

**ready for the flames** :wave:

martha said:
Breastfeeding at work while working isn't the issue. It's the guys getting all worked up about boobs being used for their primary purpose while they (the guys) are in the room.

So if the baby had been sitting in her lap drinking from a bottle it would have be okay? If that's the case, sign me up for a job with parliament. :yes:

My point is that the baby being there doesn't seem to fit and would be a distraction regardless of how she/he was fed. But if babies are allowed and breastfeeding isn't, that's ridiculous.

Like O2 said:
My point is that the baby being there doesn't seem to fit and would be a distraction regardless of how she/he was fed. But if babies are allowed and breastfeeding isn't, that's ridiculous.
:yes: because at the very least, how are you supposed to debate new bills when there is a baby screaming its head off?

secretaries, teachers, everyone else has to find child care for their children if they're too young to go to school, and their workplace doesn't have a daycare. i don't see how she should be any different. to me, it's got nothing to do her breastfeeding her baby, but the fact that she's bringing it to work in the first place.

martha said:

Why would perverts get upset? Wouldn't they be happy?

Just because men like breasts does not make them perverts!

Oh, I know that is what they are for. My wife just finished weaning our two year old a few months ago. He still cries about not getting his boobies. See, not this is where I think it all starts. Now he wants to "PET" them before he goes to bed.

HEHE!!!!! CHip off the old block. Sorry, I guess I am one of those man perverts. Is that better than being terminally uptight?

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes: because at the very least, how are you supposed to debate new bills when there is a baby screaming its head off?

secretaries, teachers, everyone else has to find child care for their children if they're too young to go to school, and their workplace doesn't have a daycare. i don't see how she should be any different. to me, it's got nothing to do her breastfeeding her baby, but the fact that she's bringing it to work in the first place.

The original post made it sound like the breastfeeding was the problem, not the baby at work.

martha said:
Breastfeeding at work while working isn't the issue. It's the guys getting all worked up about boobs being used for their primary purpose while they (the guys) are in the room.
]

I disagree, if I used my penis at work for what it was made for, I would have gotten comments as well.

martha said:
The original post made it sound like the breastfeeding was the problem, not the baby at work.
either way i think it's a problem. i don't think it's offensive, but the baby shouldn't be at work. i'm sure her breastfeeding interferes with her working, and i'm assuming everyone around her would be decent enough to now gawk at her whilst she feeds. or, if she went into another room to feed, then it's not fair that she gets to keep taking breaks every 2 hours or so to feed her baby.

if she wasn't ready to be separated from her baby, like i'm sure i'd be at that point, i would stay home or try to go back to work gradually. i see it almost selfish of her to expect that everyone else in parliament is supposed to put up with having a baby screaming and crying all day because you have to admit, babies that young do just that. a five year old kid is one thing is the kid can behave, but the baby doesn't know any better, and at just eleven days only knows it needs food, sleep, warmth, etc.

I told you before and I will tell you again Wanderer, you should pm me if you're having these sorts of questions again.

martha said:
Not the same thing. Urinating or fornicating in public is completely different from breastfeeding in public.

It is, but then allowing something simply because it's a bodypart's 'primary function' is a weak argument.

Last edited:
OK, I'm a woman, I have boobs and I've never used them for their intended purpose. that being said, I do feel uncomfortable seeing a woman breastfeed. I know, its a beautiful thing, I know. But I went over to a friend's house and his wife was breastfeeding the baby right there. I felt a little uncomforable I admit. So if there were other people -- and I'm sure it could have been both genders -- uncomfortable with it then they can ask to have it done somewhere else depending on law there.

That being said, what the hell are you doing breastfeeding a baby in Parliament? it would be inappropriate for someone to bring their child to my office and start breastfeeding as they worked. I don't care whose breast the baby is sucking on.

I am not offended by the sight of a breast-feeding mother, but I know a lot of people are.
I don't think the excretory or sexual functions of a human's anatomy can be compared in this case, breast-feeding is a nurturing function. A third party is involved in the case of breast-feeding, a baby, a helpless, hungry infant.( a song comes to mind.....I want it all, and I want it NOW!!!.)
So that maybe is more the issue. A contented sleeping baby is a joy to behold, but when they are restless and hungry, they sure can make a ruckus.They don't make allowances for surroundings, they just let every one know they are hungry/wet/ gripey/ who knows. And then there's that other thing they do....when ever they feel like it, quite often at less than opportune moments...you know, ewwwwwwwwww, poooooooooo. So I think there are difficulties in easily including infants in the workplace.
So as much as I love babies and mothers, I would like for things to be set up so a new mother gets a decent amount of maternity leave and good child care options when she returns to work.
I haven't read about this case in detail, I don't know why the woman felt she had to be at work and couldn't organise someone to mind the baby for her in a near by office.

I have a story..maybe I told it here already..I was emailing a woman in the USA telling her how much I enjoyed nursing a young friend's baby , so his mother could go dance to the band we were seeing. The word "nursing" when it comes to infants, has different meanings in Australia and the USA....I found out.

hmmm I'll just go sit on my nest in the corner shall I..oh dear, incorrigible.
I was going to set up another champagne pyramid in your birthday thread Angela, but nah, left it optional for you:)
I forgot to actually say in the other thread...HAPPY BIRTHDAY
belated...but still woohooo

OK.....Here I am just out of teaching school. New teacher on the block. 1st time meeting parents over the first report cards I issued.

My third conference ever.....and......

Yes, you guessed it, the woman's baby started crying and yes.....she decided to feed the baby right then and there.

I did not know what the hell to do. I was already kind of nervous given the circumstances. Definitely, the strangest conference i have had in 8 years of teaching.

martha said:

I agree with you. My point was that we don't know what the others were objecting to, the baby or the breast. My hunch is that it was the breast.

The original problem was that the infant is a non member, or 'stranger in the house'. Unfortunately as she was actually breastfeeding when she was asked to leave, the issue has grown to encompass all the things everyone has raised in here, such as whether the baby even belongs at work, whether breastfeeding in public is appropriate etc. So in a way you are right, it was originally the baby, but became the breast after much media hype.

And thanks Cass babe!!! :hug:

Dreadsox said:
OK.....Here I am just out of teaching school. New teacher on the block. 1st time meeting parents over the first report cards I issued.

My third conference ever.....and......

Yes, you guessed it, the woman's baby started crying and yes.....she decided to feed the baby right then and there.

I did not know what the hell to do. I was already kind of nervous given the circumstances. Definitely, the strangest conference i have had in 8 years of teaching.

:lmao:

Sorry...but that's funny from far away.

:snicker: :snort:

Back
Top Bottom