No benefit in drinking eight glasses of water a day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am waiting around for a banned substance to arrive while ingesting caffeine and nicotine at an alarming rate.

financeguy said:
I'm smoking an asbestos cigarette, while injecting myself with crack.

Are you chatting on you mobile phone also?

randhail said:
I'm not going to dispute what you say in your case. Studies have shown that high vitamin c can reduce the duration of a cold, but a lot of other purported claims haven't been backed up yet.

Taking high doses of vitamins isn't something that should be done lightly either. They can have a very negative impact on your body and cause some strange interactions with any medications you're taking. One study comes to mind that looked at vitamin A superdoses and it's impact on a certain type of cancer preventation and to everyone's surprise the vitamin a group had a higher incidence of the cancer. Again, I don't mean to tell you or anyone what to do, but for me megadoses of vitamins are a lot of hype and not a lot of action.

Too much of a good thing can be bad. In other cases, more is better. You can not have a vitamin deficiency and then get assaulted with more than a healthy body can handle and in those times higher dosages for short periods have proved very beneficial to me. But I have found many other things that knock out a cold even better, so it's not like I'm a Vitamin C freak but I do supplement. Personally I didn't begin to experience truly great health until I started getting rid of the heavy metals and toxins in my body. That's when the earth moved, so to speak.

But there are so many things that affect health from environment to food to genes, and so many things that work for different people but not others. I know a woman in her 60s who has never taken a vitamin in her life and never gets sick. But I can see that she's not healthy, she's grossly overweight, and I personally think either she has amazing genes, or she's a disaster waiting to happen, that when she gets sick it could be really bad. But who knows. :shrug:

Honestly the healthiest I've ever been is when I got my body fat down to 19-20, worked out for an hour or two 7 days a week, including cycling 100 miles per week and doing a LOT of resistance training. I ate well then, but didn't bother with supplements or vitamins or flushing myself with water or flushing out toxins or anything of the sort. Still had my delicious aspartame-laced diet drinks on a daily basis, my cholesterol levels were on par with vegetarians (I do eat fish probably 3-4 days a week, though).

So I think different things work for different people. I haven't been sick once this year and that's with my roommate having bronchitis and going home at Easter with my Dad infecting everyone with strep throat.

anitram said:
Honestly the healthiest I've ever been is when I got my body fat down to 19-20, worked out for an hour or two 7 days a week, including cycling 100 miles per week and doing a LOT of resistance training. I ate well then, but didn't bother with supplements or vitamins or flushing myself with water or flushing out toxins or anything of the sort. Still had my delicious aspartame-laced diet drinks on a daily basis, my cholesterol levels were on par with vegetarians (I do eat fish probably 3-4 days a week, though).

So I think different things work for different people. I haven't been sick once this year and that's with my roommate having bronchitis and going home at Easter with my Dad infecting everyone with strep throat.

Oh, I work out all the time--pilates, weight training, yoga, aerobics, and eat extremely well. But I'm a lot older than you. I never had a health problem of any kind beyond a cold or flu until I hit the 4th decade. I just have to work harder at my health now. There is definitely a cumulative effect. I developed seasonal allergies out of the blue and was determined that this was not going to be my new life. When I detoxed the heavy metals, it completely disappeared. I grew up on a farm exposed to a lot of chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, and now my mother tells me asbestos lived in the attic. Sometimes that kind of stuff shows up later in life.

Last edited:
Must say though, I feel much better since I switched to more expensive beers. I generally find that with the cheaper, more proletarian type of beer, I don't get the health benefits.

I don't drink beer, it takes way too long to get drunk that way.

Plus my stomach is little. I never understood where men can store all that liquid!

TBH, I'm pretty bored of beer at this point. Trying to switch to red wine, though seemingly, contrary to popular opinion, red wine is also quite fattening.

first, i will say that JFG is possibly one of the healthiest-looking individuals you could ever hope to meet. so whatever she's doing is working.

i don't measure, but i drink lots of water. i take lots of vitamin C in the dead of winter or when i feel the onset of a cold and i'm always able to fight it off in a day or two (compared to the usual week). i also drink raw Kombucha tea a few times a week, and that seems to have done wonders for my immune system as well, and i secretly wonder if my fairly robust recovery from a fairly serious accident wasn't due in part to the Kombucha.

i also take flax seed oil and i can see the difference in the tone and texture of my skin.

it's all anecdotal. just look at what's out there, see what makes sense or comes from places you respect, see what you can afford (that Kombucha tea is $3 at Whole Foods, not cheap), and then stick with a regime that you notice improves your quality of life.

and i no longer drink 20 beers in a weekend.

Irvine511 said:
first, i will say that JFG is possibly one of the healthiest-looking individuals you could ever hope to meet. so whatever she's doing is working.

:happy: And that was before my heavy metals detox!

Originally posted by Irvine511
and i secretly wonder if my fairly robust recovery from a fairly serious accident wasn't due in part to the Kombucha.

I vote a big YES. I tend to rotate things, going on and off and on again various things, and when I'm in my Kombucha phase it just rocks. Helps balance the pH and is loaded with probiotics. One winter there were 3 devoted Kumbucha drinkers in my office and the 3 of us were the only ones who never got sick all winter despite being surrounded by constant sickness. More anecdotal evidence.

Plus, I don't know which brand you drink, but the one I like is GT's which seems to have more L-theanine in it than other brands because I always get a little tipsy for a few minutes when I drink it. :drunk:

I used to brew it at home. :nerd:

Last edited:
Wasn't a yes-or-no question...I was really looking for specific names of toxic substances, why they would be stored in muscle tissue rather than fat tissue, and how external application of physical pressure would cause their release.

yolland said:
Wasn't a yes-or-no question...I was really looking for specific names of toxic substances, why they would be stored in muscle tissue rather than fat tissue, and how external application of physical pressure would cause their release.
Lactic acid to be specific. This is especially true in the case of deep tissue massage. Deeper techniques are followed by more moderate, flowing techniques to promote circulation and "flush" the toxins away from the muscle.

I always recommend clients increase their water intake and apply heat to the areas that were focused on to complement the treatment. The theory of massage releasing toxins has actually been questioned, suggesting that it's simply the relaxation of fatigued muscles that reduces soreness..

Voila :shrug:

As for drinking 8 glasses.. I don't keep track, but I drink a lot of fluids throughout the day and I feel really unwell if I don't. You might not need exactly 8, but staying hydrated is good for all kinds of things anyway.

Back
Top Bottom