NJ Governor Wasn't Wearing Seatbelt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
It's required by NJ law for front seats, and he certainly didn't set a good example. He's lucky he wasn't killed. But I don't wear one 100 percent of the time either, even though I know I should and it is the law. You could say it's holding him to a higher standard, except that everyone is supposed to wear them by that law in NJ. Is it a higher standard to expect someone in his position to always obey the law and to set a good example?

The prognosis is that he won't walk normally for months.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/13/corzine.crash.ap/index.html

What an idiot; he has set a good standard for anybody with more than one functioning brain cell to not follow.

I'm curious as to what will happen to the state trooper who was driving. Didn't he think to mention to the govenor, "Please buckle your seat belt. I cannot by law start driving unless you are buckled in." ? I'm wondering if he will be reprimanded, not for the accident, but for having a front seat passenger who was not wearing their seat belt.

As for setting a standard, in a way the govenor did set an example - He showed how dumb it is not to wear a seatbelt by showing what happens when you don't wear a seat belt (if you survive at all). Everyone else in the car escaped with minimal or no injuries. I'm assuming they were wearing seatbelts.

I can in all honesty say that since I turned 16 and got my license, I have never, not once driven without a seatbelt nor been a passenger without one. I don't even know how it would occur to someone to drive without it, it's such an automatic action - I wouldn't leave my house barefoot, and I wouldn't start a car without putting the seatbelt on.

My father is a whole other story....he seems to have learned after paying a $180 fine (believe me I got pleasure out of this).

kellyahern said:
I'm curious as to what will happen to the state trooper who was driving. Didn't he think to mention to the govenor, "Please buckle your seat belt. I cannot by law start driving unless you are buckled in." ? I'm wondering if he will be reprimanded, not for the accident, but for having a front seat passenger who was not wearing their seat belt.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I believe in MI if you are 17 or older it's your own responsibility and you, as the person not wearing the belt, will get the ticket. If you're younger, the driver is ticketed.

Sometimes Phil will call me while driving (which I hate, a whole different issue...) and I can hear the car dinging b/c his seatbelt is off. Then I yell at him and refuse to talk until he puts it on.

Liesje said:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I believe in MI if you are 17 or older it's your own responsibility and you, as the person not wearing the belt, will get the ticket. If you're younger, the driver is ticketed.

Sometimes Phil will call me while driving (which I hate, a whole different issue...) and I can hear the car dinging b/c his seatbelt is off. Then I yell at him and refuse to talk until he puts it on.

Not really that the state trooper would be ticketed, just if he might be reprimanded by his employer for having an unbelted passenger - since he is a state trooper and they are supposed to enforce traffic and driving laws.

I was wondering this because I work for a municipality and if one of the employees is caught driving a city vehicle in which they or any of their passengers are not wearing a seat belt, they would be suspended a day w/o pay.

I'm not blaming the state trooper at all, I was just interested in the workplace issue aspect of it (I guess it is kind of off topic :wink: ). It is the govenor's responsibilty to make sure he wears a seat belt.

Last edited:
anitram said:
I can in all honesty say that since I turned 16 and got my license, I have never, not once driven without a seatbelt nor been a passenger without one. I don't even know how it would occur to someone to drive without it, it's such an automatic action - I wouldn't leave my house barefoot, and I wouldn't start a car without putting the seatbelt on.

I'm the same way. I don't find seatbelts uncomfortable and I don't quite understand people's resistance to them. A friend argues that it should be his right to wear one or not and if he's injured or worse in an accident because he's not wearing one, that's still his right. I guess it's the same argument cyclist's have about helmets.

Yet I have to say, a friend of mine's life was saved precisely because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The car flipped and landed on some kind of pole that went directly through the roof and through the driver's seat. Because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, she rolled over to the passenger side. It's still incredible that she wasn't injured at all since it was a horrible accident.

What a silly man. At least he's the one bearing the brunt of his actions though.

Putting on a seatbelt is an automatic action for me also. I used to live back a long driveway and sometimes in the winter I would put the trash cans in the car to take them to the end of the lane for trash pickup. Almost invariably I would get in the car and put on my seatbelt, even though I wasn't going off my own driveway. After this many years it's just an ingrained habit. :lol:

Now what kind of a message does this send to the public? Sorry folks, but if you're not automatically buckling up in a moving vehicle, you get what you deserve IMO. Not buckling up leaves you more susceptiple to worse, even fatal injuries. Case in point, this issue with the NJ governor's recent accident. :|

yes he was not smart for buckling up, but can we please get a I hope he is ok?

I think this thread is a scary and disturbing example of how easily statism takes control of mediocre minds.

Justin24 said:
can we please get a I hope he is ok?

That's a given. I generally don't wish anyone ill.

...ok...occasionally I make an exception to that rule for politicians, but even that's more in theory than in practice.

Diemen said:
Out of line, no matter how sarcastic.

I sincerely hope that you are a racially pure Native American.

(Otherwise you might just be a hypocrite)

financeguy said:

I sincerely hope that you are a racially pure Native American.

(Otherwise you might just be a hypocrite)

If you want to talk about Hypocracy go to the Imus thread. Thank You.

anitram said:
Well here goes another thread down the toilet.

:|

But we all have the power not to take his bait, so if we don't want it to go down the toilet it won't. One fuckwit won't doom a thread.

indra said:
But we all have the power not to take his bait, so if we don't want it to go down the toilet it won't. One fuckwit won't doom a thread.

The premise of the thread is a disgrace, if you ask me.

We are being invited to condemn a car crash victim, this crosses the line in my view.

financeguy said:
We are being invited to condemn a car crash victim, this crosses the line in my view.
If you had left it at this, the only relevant point you were making--then fine. The rest was, yes, way out of line and if you thought you were being devastatingly satirical, think again.

No point in continuing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom