Nigeria is Happiest Country in the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Nigerians happiest, Americans 16th

Survey says Russians, Eastern Europeans the unhappiest

LONDON, Oct. 1 ? People in Latin America, Western Europe and North America are happier than their counterparts in Eastern Europe and Russia, according to a British study. An analysis of levels of happiness in more than 65 countries by the World Values Survey shows Nigeria has the highest percentage of happy people followed by Mexico, Venezuela, El Salvador and Puerto Rico, while Russia, Armenia and Romania have the fewest. ?NEW ZEALAND ranked 15 for overall satisfaction, the U.S. 16th, Australia 20th and Britain 24th ? though Australia beats the other three for day-to-day happiness,? New Scientist magazine, which published the results, said on Wednesday.
But the weekly magazine said that factors that make people happy vary. Personal success, self-expression, pride, and a high sense of self-esteem are important in the United States.
?In Japan, on the other hand, it comes from fulfilling the expectations of your family, meeting your social responsibilities, self-discipline, cooperation and friendliness,? according to the magazine.

The survey is a worldwide investigation of sociocultural and political change conducted about every four years by an international network of social scientists. It includes questions about how happy people are and how satisfied they are with their lives.
It showed that average happiness has remained virtually the same in industrialized countries since World War Two, although incomes have risen.
The exception is Denmark, where people have become more satisfied with life over the last three decades.
Researchers believe the unchanging trend is linked to consumerism.
?Survey after survey has shown that the desire for material goods, which has increased hand in hand with average income, is a happiness suppressant,? the magazine added.

STING2 said:
?Survey after survey has shown that the desire for material goods, which has increased hand in hand with average income, is a happiness suppressant,? the magazine added.

Absolutely. Seek contentment and you will be happy.

That's very interesting. I agree wholeheartedly that consumerism is a "happiness suppressant".

Most people caught up in that are trying to fill an emptiness in their heart and soul, something that is lacking, or a general unhappiness w/ themselves. I am guilty of this sometimes, so I think I know just a little bit about it.

Ultimately what is happiness anyway? That's a deep question for a Friday PM :D

MrsSpringsteen said:
Ultimately what is happiness anyway? That's a deep question for a Friday PM :D

Well, there is a peace that surpasses all understanding. But that discussion is better left for The Goal Is Soul.

Hmm, that study blows one of my theories out of the water. Interesting indeed. Very true about consumerism too. Though it doesn't seem to add up regarding the end of WWII to today and happiness staying the same.
I wonder if a study exists on stress. I'd think that could be some interesting reading.

very interesting indeed!

Nigeria is a place full of turmoil now...if this survey is accurate, it is quite an amazing social statement

Well, money won?t make you happy, but it will make you more free to choose what you want to do with the time you have left.

Does money make greedy?

I don't know..it seems to me the more $ some people have, the more obsessed they are w/ getting more, and the more screwed up they become.

Not all people of course-some people focus outward and do great things for others, which I think is one element of true happiness.

Back
Top Bottom