Newly Appointed Bishop Forced to Step Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]LONDON (AP) - An openly gay clergyman whose appointment as a bishop divided the Anglican church has decided not to take up his post, the Church of England said Sunday.

The church's spiritual leader, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, said the decision by the Rev. Jeffrey John should give Anglicans ``pause for thought.''

``This has been a time of open and painful confrontation, in which some of our bonds of mutual trust have been severely strained,'' Williams said. ``We need now to give ourselves the proper opportunities honestly to think through what has happened and to find what God has been teaching us in these difficult days.'' [/Q]

Well what has God been teaching you? If the man is acceptable to be a priest/minister why isn't he acceptable to be a Bishop? This is very contradictory, isn't it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2875921,00.html

The former Bishop of Canterbury had this to say:

[Q]It emerged yesterday that Dr Williams's predecessor, George Carey, had already appointed two homosexual bishops during his tenure.

The former archbishop of Canterbury told The Sunday Times newspaper of Britain he allowed two gay ministers to become bishops between 1991 and 2001 after they privately assured him they were celibate.

"I have no doubt of their faithfulness ... and I want to set the record straight that I have never knowingly ordained a practising homosexual priest or bishop, nor would I ever want to do so," Lord Carey said.

The Anglican policy on sexuality allows for gay laity but says homosexual clergy must be celibate.[/Q]

Wow, the former Bishop of Canterbury seems to be quite tolorant. As long as he does't know it he is fine with it? Key word is "practicing" in his statement I guess. He admits two appointing two gay Bishops himself, but they were not "practicing".

It sounds like Clinton's don't ask don't tell policy.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6711631%5E421,00.html

Dreadsox said:
If the man is acceptable to be a priest/minister why isn't he acceptable to be a Bishop? This is very contradictory, isn't it?
very contradictory indeed

Dreadsox said:
As long as he does't know it he is fine with it? Key word is "practicing" in his statement I guess. He admits two appointing two gay Bishops himself, but they were not "practicing".

It sounds like Clinton's don't ask don't tell policy.
umm, no
as far as I interpret the article the bishops tries to point out that priests are supposed to be celibate and these two priests are celibate

therefore they are not practising homosexuals
like other priests aren't (supposed to be) practising heterosexuals

I don't think the bishop can be accused of a "don't ask don't tell" policy because of this statement (especially since he actually did ask)

Salome said:

therefore they are not practising homosexuals
like other priests aren't (supposed to be) practising heterosexuals

I believe Anglican Priests are allowed to be married and they are allowed to have children. I may be wrong though. Anyone know for sure?

[Q]The Anglican Communion permits all postulants the option of choosing marriage or celibacy. Candidates for monastic life must opt for celibacy. Bishops are chosen from both married priests or celibate priests, and from priests in monastic orders. [/Q]

Anglican Priests can choose one path or the other. The Homosexual Priest in the Anglican Church has no choice. I find this to be contradictory, don't you?

http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ464.HTM

Dreadsox said:

I believe Anglican Priests are allowed to be married and they are allowed to have children. I may be wrong though. Anyone know for sure?

Correct. Anglican Priests are allowed to marry.

Back
Top Bottom