New Study of American's Sex Lives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
http://www.startribune.com/stories/1556/5617739.html

The National Center for Health Statistics Thursday released the government's most comprehensive survey of American sexual practices and reproductive health, delving for the first time into such sensitive areas as the prevalence of oral sex among teenagers and same-sex activity among adults.

Oral sex among teenagers has in recent years become a topic of rampant speculation and little solid data, apart from a 1995 Urban Institute study of adolescent boys. The new statistics confirm that study's findings that oral sex is very much part of the teenage sexual repertory. According to the survey, more than half of all those age 15 to 19 have engaged in oral sex -- including nearly a quarter of those who have never had intercourse.

The data come from the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth, a survey of 12,571 men and women age 15 to 44. The survey contractor was the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research.

The institute trained more than 200 female interviewers to collect the data by having the subject answer sensitive questions on a laptop computer, without revealing the answers to the interviewer.

Although the National Center for Health Statistics has periodically conducted the National Survey among women for 32 years, the 2002 version was the first to include both sexes, and to move beyond fertility and child-bearing into broader questions of sexual behavior and sexual orientation.

Among the findings in the "Sexual Behavior and Selected Health Measures" study:

• Men age 30 to 44 have had a median of six to eight sexual partners in their lifetimes; women's median was about four.

• Among men and women age 15 to 44, about two-thirds have had only one sexual partner in the last year. Ten percent of the men and 7 percent of the women have had three or more partners in that time.

• About 4 percent of men and women described themselves as homosexual or bisexual, but in a finding that surprised the researchers, 14 percent of the women age 18 to 29 reported at least one sexual experience with another woman, more than twice the proportion of young men who reported such an experience.

The report offers new information about homosexuality in America. Almost 3 percent of men between 15 and 44 and 4 percent of women reported having a sexual experience with a member of the same sex within the past year. Over their lifetimes, 6 percent of men and 11 percent of women had such experiences. About 1 percent of men and 3 percent of women had had both male and female sexual partners in the previous 12 months.

Nearly 6 percent of all men between 15 and 44 reported having oral sex with another man at some time in their lives, and nearly 4 percent reported having anal sex with another man.

Findings on teens

The new findings on teens and oral sex have been of special interest to health experts.

The proportion of teens who have given or received oral sex was slightly higher than the proportion who have had intercourse, with 55 percent of the boys and 54 percent of the girls having given or received oral sex, while 49 percent of the boys and 53 percent of the girls have had sexual intercourse.

"One thing that surprised me is that we expected, based on anecdotal evidence, that girls might be more likely to give oral sex and boys more likely to receive it, but we didn't find that at all," said Dr. Jennifer Manlove, of Child Trends, which, like Brown's group, released an analysis of the data. "There's more gender equality than we expected."

The government data does not provide any indication of the age at which oral sex first occurred, how often it occurred, or how many partners a teen had had. But the survey found that nearly all teens who have had sexual intercourse have also had oral sex: Among sexually experienced teens, 88 percent of the boys and 83 percent of the girls have had oral sex.

Many of the findings in the government report parallel those of the last large-scale study of American sexual behavior, a 1992 study of 18- to 59-year-olds by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center.

William Mosher, the lead author of the new study, said it found a new and unexpected increase in lesbian activity.

When asked, "Have you ever had any sexual experience of any kind with any female?" 14 percent of the 18- to 29-year-old women said yes, compared with slightly under 10 percent of the 30- to 44-year-olds.

The study also asked about sexual attraction and sexual orientation. Among men 18 to 44, 90 percent said they thought of themselves as heterosexual, 2 percent as homosexual, 2 percent bisexual and 4 percent as "something else," findings similar to those in the 1992 study.

Among women, 86 percent said they were attracted only to males, 10 percent "mostly to males." In the 1992 survey, only 3 percent said they were "mostly" attracted to males.

This is very interesting. I always wondered how accurate these studies are. They seem to be pretty accurate according to some of the other studies I have read (Kinsley) BTW...this is a little off subject but Max Fisher is that hilrious guy from the movie RUSHMORE right?:wink:

MaxFisher said:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/1556/5617739.html

Oral sex among teenagers has in recent years become a topic of rampant speculation and little solid data, apart from a 1995 Urban Institute study of adolescent boys. The new statistics confirm that study's findings that oral sex is very much part of the teenage sexual repertory. According to the survey, more than half of all those age 15 to 19 have engaged in oral sex -- including nearly a quarter of those who have never had intercourse.

Wow, I'm surprised it's only "more than half". I'm just about the only one out of all my friends who hasn't :huh:

i'm always suspicious of these surveys, too. they require honesty, and i can't think of a subjet that people are more duplicitious about than sex.

still, sounds just like 10 years ago when i was in high school. i'd be more interested to know the rates of contraception use, especially condoms which are by far the best way to prevent the transmission of STDs when one is sexually active.

also, and i want to toss this out to the crowd: is teenaged sex, by definition, a bad thing? does this report worry you? comfort you?

i really have no idea. i wasn't sexually active until i was in college, so i can't offer any personal experiences as to whether it improved or hampered my social life, development, etc. i know people who had sex in high school as part of a rather well functioning relationship, and i know people who had sex for really bad reasons. i suppose my thoughts are that it's all a part of growing up, and after a certain age, a child is going to make his or her own decisions, and some of those decisions might be the wrong ones. so you learn, and you accept the consequences of your decisions.

Thanks again Irvine:wave: When I read these studies I am always a bit suspicious too and it is mostly because of the reason you mentioned ...HONESTY!! Who would be totally honest about there sex life. I know I have held back many details about my sex life. I am only totally open to my doctor of course.
I also agree with on what type of studies should be a priority,sexual contraception and STD prevention should be on the top of the list.

I wonder how many gave their significant other VERTIGO...

:dance:

I wonder...is it all girls giving it to the boys?

Dreadsox said:

...may have to do a poll....

Dreadsox said:

perhaps it's not quoted in this particular article, but i've read about this study in a few places, and shockingly, there seems to be true gender equality when it comes to learning how to kneel in order to kiss the sky ... i can try and dig it up, but i distinctly remember reading that boys were giving it to girls just as much as girls were giving it to boys.

quite frankly, this made me happy. the worst scenario, i think, would be for legions of teenaged girls to think that they must get down on their knees in order to keep a boyfriend, and that this is an expectation. at least with intercourse, there's a measure of equality, whereas with oral sex, it is someone one partner performs on the other.

dunno if that's weird, but as women have opened up to me about what goes on in their romantic and sexual lives, the more upset i actually get at how far beyond their comfort zone they will go in order to make a man interested. i get very fraternal/paternal and protective with my female friends and, quite frankly, find much of macho locker room talk (so to speak) i heard as an athlete (and "straight" out of necessity) to be frightfully degrading.

thems just my observations.

MaxFisher said:
14 percent of the women age 18 to 29 reported at least one sexual experience with another woman, more than twice the proportion of young men who reported such an experience.

ok, guys

some of the girls are losing interest

Re: Re: New Study of American's Sex Lives

deep said:

ok, guys

some of the girls are losing interest

they think they dont need us anymore because they can have kids without having sex..

and I´m not wondering about the number of lesbians; there is a difference in society´s reaction - when two girls kiss in a club, or dance together, nowadays everyone will think they are sexy (not 20 years ago! but now yes); when two men kiss or dance, its still something dirty. add the whole advertising to that.

being lesbian is "in" because it is marketable. I don´t remember the name of the pop group somewhere from Russia, two lesbian teens? Ah, T.A.T.U. that is. - sad thing about it is that in outr society lesbians are only sexy when they have beautiful bodies. I mean, who wants to see two fat, 50yr old lesbians? Nah, its about slim sexy girls.

Hm. Just my 2cents. I´m rambling.

Irvine511 said:

also, and i want to toss this out to the crowd: is teenaged sex, by definition, a bad thing? does this report worry you? comfort you?

What worries me is that they are treating it (some of them) so casually that they are having oral sex in the back of a school bus. Call me old fashioned, but I think that is debasing and degrading. I always think of that Oprah show when they talked about the rainbow thing and all that..the most I ever saw go on on a school bus was making out and holding hands.

I don't think most teenagers are emotionally equipped to handle sex. They can treat it as casually as they want to have their pleasure and fun, but I think for most girls and boys it is damaging them in some way to be so casual about it. As for a deep meaningful love relationship, I don't think too many of those happen when you're that age.

I'd rather they have oral sex than intercourse for purposes of pregancy and disease, but obviously oral sex has many possibilities for disease too, especially w/ out protection.

I think too many teenagers are in denial about the consequences, emotional and physical. After all, some adults are too.

Irvine511 said:

perhaps it's not quoted in this particular article, but i've read about this study in a few places, and shockingly, there seems to be true gender equality when it comes to learning how to kneel in order to kiss the sky ... i can try and dig it up, but i distinctly remember reading that boys were giving it to girls just as much as girls were giving it to boys.

quite frankly, this made me happy. the worst scenario, i think, would be for legions of teenaged girls to think that they must get down on their knees in order to keep a boyfriend, and that this is an expectation. at least with intercourse, there's a measure of equality, whereas with oral sex, it is someone one partner performs on the other.

dunno if that's weird, but as women have opened up to me about what goes on in their romantic and sexual lives, the more upset i actually get at how far beyond their comfort zone they will go in order to make a man interested. i get very fraternal/paternal and protective with my female friends and, quite frankly, find much of macho locker room talk (so to speak) i heard as an athlete (and "straight" out of necessity) to be frightfully degrading.

thems just my observations.

Will you marry me??

Seriously though - thankyou for saying that - i am 18 years old and i am so intimidated by macho locker room talk - i have to keep reminding myself that not all men are so shallow and degrading - you restore my faith - thankyou:happy:

Irvine511 said:

dunno if that's weird, but as women have opened up to me about what goes on in their romantic and sexual lives, the more upset i actually get at how far beyond their comfort zone they will go in order to make a man interested.

It is sad, it does happen w/ older women too. If you can't communicate honestly and respect my comfort zone, well adios. Someone like that is just not worth it to me, but at the same time I do understand self-esteem problems and how much it hurts if a guy doesn't reciprocate interest. But some things are non-negotiable. Maybe it's important to teach teenage girls and boys to believe and know that some things are non-negotiable.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I don't think most teenagers are emotionally equipped to handle sex. They can treat it as casually as they want to have their pleasure and fun, but I think for most girls and boys it is damaging them in some way to be so casual about it. As for a deep meaningful love relationship, I don't think too many of those happen when you're that age.

That's bull. My relationship started as a teenage relationship and we're both a little older now and I don't think we're likely to part anytime soon. We love each other a lot, and we've had some rough times but we want each other. And that's all you need. I think it depends on the PEOPLE, not the necessarily the group "teenagers". Some PEOPLE just can't handle things with care, and seeing as you can't forbid certain PEOPLE to have sex, you can't do anything. Teenage sex is okay with me, as long as they use protection.

I don't think sex can be damaging unless you're talking about rape, by the way. I think that THAT power of sex is overrated.

Achtungbaby162 said:
That's bull. My relationship started as a teenage relationship and we're both a little older now and I don't think we're likely to part anytime soon. We love each other a lot, and we've had some rough times but we want each other. And that's all you need. I think it depends on the PEOPLE, not the necessarily the group "teenagers". Some PEOPLE just can't handle things with care, and seeing as you can't forbid certain PEOPLE to have sex, you can't do anything. Teenage sex is okay with me, as long as they use protection.

I don't think sex can be damaging unless you're talking about rape, by the way. I think that THAT power of sex is overrated.

I do agree with you in some respects here, but keep in mind MrsSpringsteen did say "most". You are right, some teenage relationships do manage to make it-my parents started dating when they were in...their junior or senior year of high school, I think it was. Today is their 28th wedding anniversary.

But she is right in saying that a lot don't last, too.

Angela

well thanks for saying my opinion is bull

I'm not talking about your relationship, I know nothing about it obviously. I'm not for forbidding people to do anything. But I do think treating sex as something to have on the back of a bus and as a way to get self-esteem and attention from others is sad. If you read my whole post maybe you'll see what I was getting at :)

And I have seen and heard personally plenty of stories about sex other than rape being damaging emotionally to people, not just teenagers either. I'm talking about sex that is not enhancing to one's self-esteem and thus not very healthy.

Achtungbaby162 said:

wow. i don't even know what to say to this. sex can be the most wonderful experience on earth, and it can also be depths of hell, depending on the circumstances. sex for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time, with the wrong person--there's a lot of pain that can go with that that you might not even be aware of until years later.

and rape isn't sex, by the way, it's rape. violence in a sexualized form. please do not equate the two, because they've nothing to do with each other.

Achtungbaby162 said:

No, it's not bull. Your relationship happened to work out and that's great but I don't think many teenage sexual relationships end up being long term.

I'm not any sort of expert on the subject but I do have 4 kids ranging in age from 18 to 30 and I've seen it all when it comes to teenage relationship drama, most of it related to sex. The body may be ready for sex at 15 but the emotions and maturity levels need a bit more time in most cases. I'm sure there are some very mature kids out there who can handle it but they are probably the exception rather than the rule.

And I disagree with your statement that sex can't be damaging. It most certainly can be, to both guys and girls.

According to the CDC survey, 28 percent of males age 15-17 reported giving oral sex to a female and 40 percent reported receiving oral sex from a female.

Among females aged 15-17, 30 percent report giving oral sex to a male, and 38 percent report receiving oral sex from a male.

Dreadsox said:
According to the CDC survey, 28 percent of males age 15-17 reported giving oral sex to a female and 40 percent reported receiving oral sex from a female.

Among females aged 15-17, 30 percent report giving oral sex to a male, and 38 percent report receiving oral sex from a male.

:laugh:

this does not surprise me in the least. oh, you heteros ... the more things change, the more they stay the same.

and how terrible! someone *lying* about sex! men exaggerating! how shocking!

am happy to live in a world where oral sex is pretty much *always* reciprocal ... and like good Christians, we know that, sometimes, 'tis better to give than to receive ...

:D

dandy said:
sex can be the most wonderful experience on earth, and it can also be depths of hell, depending on the circumstances. sex for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time, with the wrong person--there's a lot of pain that can go with that that you might not even be aware of until years later.

and rape isn't sex, by the way, it's rape. violence in a sexualized form. please do not equate the two, because they've nothing to do with each other.

Yes indeed

dandy said:

wow. I don't even know what to say to this. sex can be the most wonderful experience on earth,

sex is life affirming

probably the most pro-life behavior people can participate in

dandy said:

sex can also be depths of hell, depending on the circumstances. sex for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time, with the wrong person--there's a lot of pain that can go with that that you might not even be aware of until years later.

this may be your personal experience and I will not challenge it

i do not believe it is a universal truth at all

dandy said:

rape isn't sex, by the way, it's rape. violence in a sexualized form. please do not equate the two, because they've nothing to do with each other.

I can accept this as 100 per cent correct

MrsSpringsteen said:
They can treat it as casually as they want to have their pleasure and fun, but I think for most girls and boys it is damaging them in some way to be so casual about it.

I think too many teenagers are in denial about the consequences, emotional and physical. After all, some adults are too.

There is some truth in that. It works both ways: some will regret that they had sex with partners they didn´t really care for, some won´t. Others will regret they didn´t have sex up until 18 or older, and some will regret it, some won´t.

I agree with what you say bout the denial of consequences. Not only for so many abortions, also for HIV. The 16-22 heterosexual rate is statistically on the rise here.

(not to say that I haven´t had my share of stupidity when I was in my teens and twens...)

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Others will regret they didn´t have sex up until 18 or older, and some will regret it, some won´t.

i would agree with this. i didn't start dating men until i was 24 years old. i missed out on so much. would it have necessarily been a good idea to have been having sex at 16? no, probably not, but i am sorry i waited so long. there was so much loneliness, unhappiness, self-hating, etc. and, as deep pointed out, having sex (especially in the context of a relationship) and finding your sexuality as a source of joy and happiness has done so much to help me deal with myself and understand myself that i do regret not starting soner.

but then again, since i was an adult, i've always made excellent decisions and have never, not once, been unprotected. if i were 17, i don't know if i'd have the presence of mind or maturity to be as concerned with my health, safety, and happiness as i do now as an adult.

U2democrat said:
Speaking of teens and oral sex...everytime I woke up last night I heard my roomie and her boyfriend...........:barf::scream::barf:

that's gross. you shouldn't have to put up with that.

and I am not going to say your rommie sucks

U2democrat said:
Speaking of teens and oral sex...everytime I woke up last night I heard my roomie and her boyfriend...........:barf::scream::barf:

they should buy you movie passes

much cheaper than a room

next time put the movie pass clause
in your roomie / rental agreement

Back
Top Bottom