new Pope!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If St. Malachy is any guide, this new Pope is "Gloria Olivæ," or "Glory of the Olives." That tends to hint towards "olive-colored" skin--a Mediterranean or maybe even a South American Pope. Just for historical note, the Benedictine order said that this Pope, the second to last Pope until the end of the world, according to St. Malachy, would belong to their order.

Pope John Paul II was "De labore Solis"
("of the eclipse of the sun," or "from the labor of the sun.") Karol Wojtyla was born on May 18, 1920 during a solar eclipse. He also comes from behind the former Iron Curtain (the East, where the Sun rises). He might also be seen to be the fruit of the intercession of the Woman Clothed with the Sun labouring in Revelation 12 (because of his devotion to the Virgin Mary). His Funeral occurred on 8 April, 2005 when there was a solar eclipse visible in the Americas.

For note, the "last Pope" who will follow this new one has this written about him:

"In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oves in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis civitas septicollis diruetur, & Judex tremêdus judicabit populum suum. Finis."

That is:

"In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End."

Tradition says that a certain St. Malachy wrote the list of Papal successors in 1139 and were discovered in the Vatican archives in 1590. As such, many question the list's authenticity.

Melon

Cardinal Ratzinger is now Pope Benedict XVI. And I'm officially no longer Catholic. It was nice while it lasted.

The good news is that Catholic apparitions list this Pope as the "evil Pope."

Melon

Last edited:
Oh well, he was always the favourite....doesn't make a damn difference to my religious belief or lack of it....

Very interesting to see the crowd's reaction...judging by their faces, some were not pleased.

St Malachi proven wrong, incidentally, not that I credit such prophecies with much credibility.

Last edited:
:|

How could you go from having a pope who made so many inroads with the Jewish faith to having someone who was a member of Hitler's Youth?

Well, let's just be thankful the guy is old and not the 58 years of JPII when he was elected. In the meantime, support your faith.

I'm extremely disappointed.

I think I was rooting for the Austrian, or one of the younger candidates.

Just his photo makes me uncomfortable.

AvsGirl41 said:
Just his photo makes me uncomfortable.

He is a funky looking dude, isn't he?

Reminds me a bit of a nocturnal rodent. :huh:

financeguy said:
St Malachi proven wrong, incidentally, not that I credit such prophecies with much credibility.

Well, "olive" also refers to "olive branch," which is what I have to wonder about. I think he'll make overtures to equally conservative religions, as there is much he will have in common with anti-gay, misogynist Protestant sects that seem to have much sway in the U.S. right now.

It's mostly irrelevant these prophesies. If the world is going to end, there's nothing we can do about it anyway. And it's not as if Catholicism has ever been a democracy anyway.

Melon

Last edited:
Saw this sarcastic comment on a popeblog:
"Thank goodness! I was worried that the sacred college might choose a charismatic ecumenist who would stem the decline of the Church in Western Europe and North America."

As much as I didn't want this, I expected it. We had an amazing pope for 26 years. Amazing. We now have a transitional pope. Can he really do major damage to the church in just five years or so? The church needs a few years to breathe and figure out what course it wants to take. JPII was a big figure whose loss has left a huge gap. I didn't expect that gap to be filled this quickly and it won't be.

melon said:
Well, "olive" also refers to "olive branch," which is what I have to wonder about. I think he'll make overtures to equally conservative religions, as there is much he will have in common with anti-gay, misogynist Protestant sects that seem to have much sway in the U.S. right now.

Yes the olive branch is much more likely to be extended to conservative Protestants than to liberals within his own church

sharky said:
We had an amazing pope for 26 years. Amazing. We now have a transitional pope. Can he really do major damage to the church in just five years or so?

In all honesty, is there really much difference in outlook between JP II and the new pope?

Now, now,

don ´t be all that quick in your decision. Sure, he is conservative. But being Pope is a whole new position. Who knows if, and what, he is going to change.

sharky said:
Can he really do major damage to the church in just five years or so? The church needs a few years to breathe and figure out what course it wants to take. JPII was a big figure whose loss has left a huge gap. I didn't expect that gap to be filled this quickly and it won't be.

He's done major damage since 1981 as the head of the CDF ("Inquisition"). I also think that he's been in power since JPII got ill, and he's issued plenty of offensive writings over the past 24 years independent of the Vatican.

I find it curious that he chose the name "Benedict XVI." The last "Benedict" was in the early 20th century. Something tells me he wants to go back to that. :|

Melon

Back
Top Bottom