Negative portrayals of men in advertising / the media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Here is an interesting article about a topic I haven't seen discussed much (at all?) on here - the negative portrayal of men in advertising and the media in general.

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907

"Until recently, gender theorists and media researchers have argued or assumed that media representations of men are predominantly positive, or at least unproblematic. Men have allegedly been shown in mass media as powerful, dominant, heroic, successful, respected, independent and in other positive ways conducive to men and boys maintaining a healthy self-identity and self-esteem.

However, this view has come under challenge over the past few years. John Beynon, a Welsh cultural studies academic, examined how masculinity was portrayed in the British quality press including The Times, The Guardian and The Sunday Times over a three-year period from 1999-2001 and in books such as Susan Faludi’s 2000 best-seller Stiffed: The Betrayal of Modern Man. Beynon concluded in his 2002 book, Masculinities and Culture, that men and masculinity were overwhelmingly presented negatively and as “something dangerous to be contained, attacked, denigrated or ridiculed, little else”.

Canadian authors, Paul Nathanson and Katherine Young in a controversial 2001 book, Spreading Misandry: The Teaching of Contempt for Men in Popular Culture reported widespread examples of “laughing at men, looking down on men, blaming men, de-humanising men, and demonising men” in modern mass media. They concluded: “… the worldview of our society has become increasingly both gynocentric (focused on the needs and problems of women) and misandric (focused on the evils and inadequacies of men)”."

As a white male, middleaged, living a very comfortable life on the beach in California I have not felt any back lash from these negative portrayals.

As a matter of fact, I believe that if anything, I have had and do have advantages because of my status.

I suppose if I had gone through a divorce, or a child custody situation, I might have a different opinion.

I have sympathy for anyone drawn as an easy target by the media and culture, belittled by sterotypical "truisms"--man or woman. I no more believe in the totality of these images of men than I do women. We poke humor at the opposite gender all the time. I don't see any harm in goodnatured needling; the danger is when it becomes the perceived reality. I don't know that all those images rise to that level, but some do for sure.

Men still hold significant advantage in real life (but, hey, at least I'm not dead), but I don't think negative media representation is the way to handle it. Neither do I think seeing the other as the enemy is.

Last edited:
I think there's an abundance of negative male imagery in advertising, but we tend not to get worked up over it because we don't often feel much sympathy for the 'marginalised' (?) when their position is typically safer and more secure in general. If the position of men in society wasn't where it is then perhaps women would not be so indifferent and men might complain a bit more seriously.

Angela Harlem said:
I think there's an abundance of negative male imagery in advertising, but we tend not to get worked up over it because we don't often feel much sympathy for the 'marginalised' (?) when their position is typically safer and more secure in general. If the position of men in society wasn't where it is then perhaps women would not be so indifferent and men might complain a bit more seriously.

You nailed it. Homer Simpson is an icon. Most sitcoms feature a male as a bumbling fool with a big heart. The old days of Father Knows Best are long gone.

I think children would be affected by negative stereotypes in the media of any gender. This "attack" on men is a relatively recent phenomenon and it's affects probably won't be measured properly for a few more years.

If the ONLY men in the media were these negative images, fine, I would whole heartedly agree with the issue as being a problem. But men generally dominate the media and are still portrayed as powerful, successful and dominant for the most part. Men being shown as villains in a movie doesn't count since like in real life most villains in the real world are still men. I don't think this portrayal of men is positive either. Men are allowed to cry, men are allowed to display emotion, men are allowed to love children, and not only want the almighty dollar. I think that is just as an important problem in today's media.

Interesting opinion piece, not very convincing to me though. Men still play the majority of roles. So yes in a movie the villian may be a man, but the majority of the heros who destroy the villians are...guess what? MEN. They completely ignore these facts throughout the piece.

Here's another piece I found interesting:

"The research found that men are also objectified in women’s magazines and popular media in the same ways that women were in male-orientated media for several generations, but which is now regarded as blatantly sexist and “politically incorrect”. For instance, Cosmopolitan magazine’s “Guy without a shirt” section features male pin-ups such as David Beckham - for example, “Want to see Becks take a free kick - naked” (October 2003). The top-rating TV program, Sex and the City has extensively portrayed men as little more than sex objects and “handbags” for women’s amusement and pleasure."

Are you serious? "Were" objectified? You've got to be kidding, for every Cosmo there is a Maxim, FHM, Details, GQ, Playboy, etc...

This alone makes it obvious this opinion piece is a piece of...

It's ironic that to allow men to cry without rebuke, to love, to set other goals than money or some other kind of dominance is considered by so many to be some kind of "feminization" of men.

I think a lot of guys are just confused about our role in the world nowadays, just a natural thing from more women coming to the fore I guess, that the media is also uncertain of how to portray us as well.

Are we meant to be stay at home fathers? Display less masculine qualities? Or continue with the traditional male qualities, strong silent type and all that..........It's just a balancing act finding the happy medium, which I think most women managed to work out a decade ago, and since you seem to be much more adaptable creatures:wink: the men are left behind a bit in finding this balance.

One thing that I have noticed recently though, there does seem to be very little children's tv on at the moment specifically aimed at boys, or at least some gender neutral programming (everyone watched the Turtles and Thundercats didn't they?) or maybe it's just a lack of decent action cartoons:shrug:

OK, King of Queens, Tool Time and The Simpsons aren't really very positive about the image of men, but on the other hand you have Al Bundy still airing :wink:

Vincent Vega said:
OK, King of Queens, Tool Time and The Simpsons aren't really very positive about the image of men,

I would throw According to Jim and Still Standing, etc.

Fat lazy men with hot wives. I'm not sure if this is negative towards men or just society in general. Is it painting men as fat, lazy, beer drinking slobs; or is it telling us that women have to be hot and men don't? Or is it telling us women just settle?

It shows us that you can be a fat, lazy, beer drinking slob and still get a woman like Leah Remini :)

Beacause you are a feminist controlled cyborg:shrug:

:wink:

LJT said:
Beacause you are a feminist controlled cyborg:shrug:

:wink:

Oh yeah.

Seriously I think this whole thing has been brought on by men themselves. And usually the ones bitching about it have been the worse in contributing to this image. We live in a society where if you take care of yourself it's considered feminine, if you don't care you're macho.

That's why I find this whole thing quite ridiculous. We've developed these gender roles that don't allow people to be themselves. You stated earlier about how you are confused about your role in today's world. If you want to be a stay home father, then do so. Why not.

Display less masculine qualities? What does that mean? If you don't like drinking beer and getting fat, then don't. If you'd actually like to be healthy and go to the gym then do so. If your father dies and you feel like crying, why hold it in? What benefit does that have for you?

And as far as cartoons or kids programing; there are still plenty. I have two nephews both obsessed with Batman and TMNT, and they also watch gender neutral cartoons like Veggie Tales, in addition to female strong roles like Dora. Which I think is a pretty well rounded viewing.

Vincent Vega said:
OK, King of Queens, Tool Time and The Simpsons aren't really very positive about the image of men, but on the other hand you have Al Bundy still airing :wink:

I find it funny that we look at these of examples of bad man stereotypes, but fail to address the women in these shows. Every leading female character on those shows makes me cringe. They're as negatively portrayed as the men.

Yeah, but for them there are Peggy and Kelly Bundy :)

I only know a few episodes of King of Queens and Simpsons, but you are right, neither is portrayed exactly as the positive role model.

I don't know about what the Times and the Guardian write that creates such a negative picture of men. Of course it might be right that men don't get reflected as they would like to be, but as far as I've seen it those negative stereotypes about men and women only get emphasized in Sitcoms or cartoons such as the Simpsons.

I haven't seen or heard of any men feeling bad about themselves in my surrounding, so it would be interesting if there was anyone who really got a bad feeling when watching too much TV.

Then again, in the more serious movies and TV series' I think neither gender gets portrayed that.

I wasn't addressing the female characters here that much because the topic was the negative picture of men. But of course the character Leah Remini plays in King of Queens has some very bad aspects either.
But it's a Sitcom and it's meant to exaggerate these aspects.

I should have written that differently, as I know you personally are probably well aware of that. :) It seems the men who complain in general miss the alternative that Leah Rimini's character is a pain in the arse, the Bundys are all insane, Marge Simpson is a borderline idiot, etc.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh yeah.

Seriously I think this whole thing has been brought on by men themselves. And usually the ones bitching about it have been the worse in contributing to this image. We live in a society where if you take care of yourself it's considered feminine, if you don't care you're macho.

That's why I find this whole thing quite ridiculous. We've developed these gender roles that don't allow people to be themselves. You stated earlier about how you are confused about your role in today's world. If you want to be a stay home father, then do so. Why not.

Display less masculine qualities? What does that mean? If you don't like drinking beer and getting fat, then don't. If you'd actually like to be healthy and go to the gym then do so. If your father dies and you feel like crying, why hold it in? What benefit does that have for you?

And as far as cartoons or kids programing; there are still plenty. I have two nephews both obsessed with Batman and TMNT, and they also watch gender neutral cartoons like Veggie Tales, in addition to female strong roles like Dora. Which I think is a pretty well rounded viewing.

Ah I'm not confused about what role i'm playing in today's world, I'm somewhere inbetween, a hippy that loves moisturiser:D. I was just saying something that i've read a bit about lately, that men in general seem to be unsure what they are meant to be now that they are not usually the sole provider for their families (this is mainly for 30-50 year old men).......they should just be themselves whatever that individually entails, I do agree that gender roles are too stringent in society.

By the way sorry if the feminist cyborg comment offended twas menat to be good natured joke, relating to financeguy's assertion in the women's equality thread that there is a feminist conspiracy...

LJT said:

By the way sorry if the feminist cyborg comment offended twas menat to be good natured joke, relating to financeguy's assertion in the women's equality thread that there is a feminist conspiracy...

Oh, no, I got the joke, don't worry about it.

And my response was to a general 'you' not a specific 'you', for I wasn't sure where you stood...

Alls well then.....my stance is we should just get on with it:shrug: None of this seems to big a deal to me.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Exactly. These gender roles have been in place in society for centuries, but these types of articles/shows/movies don't exactly help matters. Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with - fuck what society says you should be.

I'm printing this piece out for my Sociology class this weekend - we're discussing gender stratification, so this will tie in with the lecture perfectly.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Interesting opinion piece, not very convincing to me though. Men still play the majority of roles. So yes in a movie the villian may be a man, but the majority of the heros who destroy the villians are...guess what? MEN. They completely ignore these facts throughout the piece.

Here's another piece I found interesting:

"The research found that men are also objectified in women’s magazines and popular media in the same ways that women were in male-orientated media for several generations, but which is now regarded as blatantly sexist and “politically incorrect”. For instance, Cosmopolitan magazine’s “Guy without a shirt” section features male pin-ups such as David Beckham - for example, “Want to see Becks take a free kick - naked” (October 2003). The top-rating TV program, Sex and the City has extensively portrayed men as little more than sex objects and “handbags” for women’s amusement and pleasure."

Are you serious? "Were" objectified? You've got to be kidding, for every Cosmo there is a Maxim, FHM, Details, GQ, Playboy, etc...

This alone makes it obvious this opinion piece is a piece of...

if you replace "were" with "are" that piece makes much more sense...

i can say that high school aged males today are MUCH more obsessed with self image than they were when i was in high school 10+ years ago. :shrug:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i can say that high school aged males today are MUCH more obsessed with self image than they were when i was in high school 10+ years ago. :shrug:

wither metrosexuals?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i didn't know what an ab was until i started working out more seriously for basketball late sophomore/early junior year... today middle school kids think they're fat if they don't have a 6-pack.

but we keep getting told that all American kids, everywhere, are obese.

Back
Top Bottom