Negative portrayals of men in advertising / the media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This reminds me of an article I read while I was in Chicago. A church group of men, in one of these mega churches, were trying to rewrite the image of Christ. They basically wanted to "re-masculinize" Christ. It was quite humerous, especially coming from these fundamental literalist. The same people who said there is no room for interpretation when it comes to the creation of the world and the flood were arguing poor interpretation for the "feminisation" of Christ.:|

What's an ab? I couldn't find an explanation or translation.

Is it another term for body fat?

Some of the boys I went to school with or now study with are very extreme with it. Gym nearly daily, supplements to the food, and they even plan what to eat when, what quantity, and so on.

I love my freedom to eat what I want when I want it :) I could never make a plan for the week when it must be fish, pasta, meat, and so on.

But this aim to have the perfect body started back in the late 60s, 70s, and that was when the modern feminist movement was at its beginning. I don't think there is much influence from women.
Besides, men have tried to be attractive to women long before the first women started to claim their own rights.

Now the media might get confused at timeshow to portray the genders, and I think one reason is that some of the classic gender roles now aren't fitting that well anymore. So the media finds it difficult to portray men and women outside of the classical gender roles, is adjusting, and sometimes shoots over the top.
On the other hand men are now more secure in showing a somewhat feminine side, and women a masculine.

In most countries the media is still controlled by men, with the top positions very rarely represented by women, so I would not agree with any change in the media representation due to a feminist pressure.

As Angela Harlem said, and I think you have to be blind not to see it, neither men nor women are very positively portrayed in sitcoms or cartoons.

Vincent Vega said:
What's an ab? I couldn't find an explanation or translation.

Is it another term for body fat?

it's an abbreviation of "abdominal."

case in point, one Michael Phelps:

mphelps.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:
This reminds me of an article I read while I was in Chicago. A church group of men, in one of these mega churches, were trying to rewrite the image of Christ. They basically wanted to "re-masculinize" Christ. It was quite humerous, especially coming from these fundamental literalist. The same people who said there is no room for interpretation when it comes to the creation of the world and the flood were arguing poor interpretation for the "feminisation" of Christ.:|

perhaps they think Christ needs to more closely resemble Michael Phelps.

not that all the closet cases in Chrstianity would come running to their group or anything.

Vincent Vega said:

But this aim to have the perfect body started back in the late 60s, 70s, and that was when the modern feminist movement was at its beginning. I don't think there is much influence from women.
Besides, men have tried to be attractive to women long before the first women started to claim their own rights.

Let's not forget that what society portrays as masculine often changes as well. And the quest for the perfect body has been around much longer than the late 60's, also the definition of what the perfect body is has changed.

Take the statue of David for example. Look at the clothing then and what was considered masculine.

At one time powdered wigs and tights were masculine.

Also culture defines these roles. Piercings and tatoos may define masculinty in some tribes and may define who the "freaks" are in other cultures.

That's right. In Europe around the time of Louis XIV. obese women were seen as perfect beauties.
It changes continually.

Especially clothing. Clothing trends change four times a year.
The perception of how a body should look like changes only over decades, but somehow people sometimes tend to think that the "fashion" of thinking shouldn't change.

Looking at the 80s most are speaking of how horrible people were looking at that time yet are perfectly fine with gender roles that are at least 50 years old, sometimes even centuries old.

Ok, enough with the Michael Phelps pictures, you are offending my delicate masculine ego.:mad:

:wink:

Irvine, does your bf know about this obsession of yours?

Angela Harlem said:
hey irvine, what are those man "V" things called? The muscle bit which goes down to the nether-area..

1093488911_phelps_008_2.jpg

i don't rightly know, but seeing as how i share your deep appreciation for said body part, i shall not rest until i find out the proper name.

you have my word.

I thought it was the groin ligament?

(I edited your post because the link had been pasted wrong and wasn't working.)

Last edited:
yolland said:
I thought it was the groin ligament?

(I edited your post because the link had been pasted wrong and wasn't working.)

Oh yes, that's right and it brings back some very painful memories. :(

Yeah, that's why I know the name of it too. :(

I'm not really 100% certain it's 'the' thing Angela's asking about, that may be more a combined effect of several muscle groups plus leanness along the lines of trevster's and Irvine's links, but it does run directly beneath that crease. And it hurts like :censored: if you pull any part of it. As trevster's link indicates women who are thin but toned often show this crease also but the effect is different because the bone structure is different.

Poor financeguy, he was looking for an analysis of gender stereotyping in media and now it's come to a discussion of moneymakers and groin pulls...

Ah, now I see.

Well, with men it's also a body part where something else is going. And when you have a testicular torsion this is where you feel the pain.
And it's at least as painful. :(

Angela Harlem said:

love it. remember beli who used to be on here? she calls it the man V. it's like a giant arrow.

pray tell, whatever happened to Ms. Beli?

i loved her posts.

beli used to post on here quite a bit. she loved making polls which hardly made sense in which half the people on here accepted and thought was funny, and the rest used to say "this makes no sense!" :der: gee! really? :lol: she's a fellow aussie (like me), a mother, an accountant (non-practicing), a buddhist, a very funny person, and really nice.

:heart: beli :heart:

Back
Top Bottom