Need To Calm Your Nerves Before Public Speaking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Maybe this explains why Dubya seems so flustered all the time when he's speaking in public :wink:

I also think it's funny that there's a University Of Paisley..

Sex calms nerves before public speaking - study

Wed Jan 25, 2:26 PM ET

Forget pretending you are talking to one person or concentrating on a single point in the audience -- having sex is good way to calm nerves before giving a speech or presentation.

But Stuart Brody, a psychologist at the University of Paisley in Scotland, said it has to be full sexual intercourse to get the best results.

He studied nearly 50 men and women who recorded their sexual activities for two weeks and analyzed its impact on their blood pressure levels when under acute stress, such as when giving a speech.

Brody discovered that the volunteers who had sexual intercourse were the least stressed and had blood pressure levels that returned to normal more quickly than people who engaged in other types of sex.

But people who had abstained from sex had the highest blood pressure response to stress.

Even after taking into account stress due to work or other factors, the range of responses to stress were best explained by sexual behavior.

"The effects are not attributable simply to the short-term relief afforded by orgasm but rather, endure for at least a week," Brody told New Scientist magazine said on Wednesday.

He believes that the release of the so-called "pair bonding" hormone oxytocin might explain the calming effect.

MrsSpringsteen said:

But Stuart Brody, a psychologist at the University of Paisley in Scotland, said it has to be full sexual intercourse to get the best results.

He studied nearly 50 men and women who recorded their sexual activities for two weeks and analyzed its impact on their blood pressure levels when under acute stress, such as when giving a speech.

Brody discovered that the volunteers who had sexual intercourse were the least stressed and had blood pressure levels that returned to normal more quickly than people who engaged in other types of sex.

But people who had abstained from sex had the highest blood pressure response to stress.

Even after taking into account stress due to work or other factors, the range of responses to stress were best explained by sexual behavior.

"The effects are not attributable simply to the short-term relief afforded by orgasm but rather, endure for at least a week," Brody told New Scientist magazine said on Wednesday.

He believes that the release of the so-called "pair bonding" hormone oxytocin might explain the calming effect.

all joking
and snickering aside

sex is very therapeutic and
I believe it has all the beneficial effects mentioned in the article and more

pushing abstinence between consenting adults for religious reasons

and laying guilt on people for being human and sharing human feelings
is probably the greatest crime against humanity

Well when Finals come around I will be busy so I can calm down the nerves.:wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Forget pretending you are talking to one person or concentrating on a single point in the audience -- having sex is good way to calm nerves before giving a speech or presentation.

Ummm....

I have found this to be true......It works before job interviews.

Umm....so I have heard...

nbcrusader said:
:hmm:

*interview all day tommorrow*

Get a sitter...and tell the wife to make no plans....

Daddy's got a rocket in his pocket tonight!:wink:

i have never had any fear of public speaking.

i was my high school graduation speaker. no fear.

take from that what you will.

:shifty:

;)

Back
Top Bottom