Need an answer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knute Rockne

The Fly
Does anyone know if a Catholic priest would marry you outside the structure of a church? I'm thinking of getting hitched at an Inn on the side of a mountain. The location is midway between our hometowns so it would be less than a day's drive for each side of the family. Plus the Inn's got rooms and the whatnot for people if they want to stay over. Plus it has great views and looks great. Getting married by a Catholic Priest is a priority, however, the physicality of actually being in a church isn't.

Thanks for your help.

-Knute

The Catholic Church expressedly forbids Catholic ceremonies outside of the actual building, and since you wish to be married by a Catholic priest, you are out of luck.

Personally, I find such a rule to reek of traditional legalism. The belief is that God is within the Church building; hence, your marriage is in the presence of God. This had its origins in the Middle Ages. However, why would God not be present outside of the Church building? Regardless, I doubt the Catholic Church will be changing this stance anytime soon.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I've never heard of it being done, which, being Catholic, has always saddened me, because I've always wanted to have an outdoor wedding. So whatever you find out, please let me know!!! And congratulations and the best of luck!!!

Apparently they cannot refuse to marry you if you are Catholic. There's probably a clause somewhere that states it has to be in the church, but its worth a try.
I went through something like this. Is it any wonder I hate religion?

It depends on where you live!

I know a priest from my old parish - probably one of the BEST guys you'll ever meet that actually took a lot of criticism for doing weddings outside the church among other things... Ask around, you may be surprised, times are changing.

------------------
Holy Jesus, Holy rock and roll...

Hi there....

My parents did the exact thing you did, they got married on a mountain (well, actually in the hall nearby because it was raining lol).

They had to get married in an actual church a few days before the normal ceremony with all the guests etc....even though the priest was a friend of theirs. However, this was in 1976, so I don't know if the rules have changed since then.

Congratulations...

Originally posted by Knute Rockne:
Does anyone know if a Catholic priest would marry you outside the structure of a church? I'm thinking of getting hitched at an Inn on the side of a mountain. The location is midway between our hometowns so it would be less than a day's drive for each side of the family. Plus the Inn's got rooms and the whatnot for people if they want to stay over. Plus it has great views and looks great. Getting married by a Catholic Priest is a priority, however, the physicality of actually being in a church isn't.

Thanks for your help.

-Knute

Originally posted by She ls Raging:
I know a priest from my old parish - probably one of the BEST guys you'll ever meet that actually took a lot of criticism for doing weddings outside the church among other things... Ask around, you may be surprised, times are changing.

Well, that is also another reality. There are a lot of priests nowadays openly breaking Church laws. Not to say that this isn't a law worthy of breaking. So, with that in mind, it might work out with an outdoor wedding. Good luck.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Back
Top Bottom