ND to Hire Ty WillingHam...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
It's been reported that ND is hiring Ty Willingham as their new Football Coach.. Thoughts?...

I for one.. as a current student, and a life long fan of teh school and team, and extremely disappointed and upset with teh school.. First of All.. The AD Kevin White is probably going to be fired for not getting a big name.. or even .. GOOD coach.. (He should have waited for Mariucci or Gruden)... But Also.. I hate how this is going to be built up in the press as ND taking some sort of 'step' for the Black Man.. I mean.. Jesse Jackson.. Teh Black man's worst enemy called nd and stuck his nose in business that wasn't even his.. And Although His call to ND pushing for willingham had nothing to do with his signing ... (ND thought he was the best for the job).. Now He's going to think he's teh best buddy of Notre Dame.. This extremely pisses me off.. because, first of all He's an abomination and detrimental presence to All black men in this world, and second of all to humanity.. I'm not hapy with this..
And to put it all together.. Willingham isn't a good coach.. He didn't do all that well at Stanford. I mean.. Georgia Tech beat them for god's sake.. d@mn you oleary for messing up your resume.. But This just goes to Show how BIG those TWO Problems are at ND.... KEVIN WHITE AND MONK MALLOY

I hope I eat my words as he brings back national titles.. but I'm just not happy with the outlying circumstances, and how this is going to be pushed as a 'victory' for the black race.. God.. I hate racism.. and this is just another example of how our society is still obsessed with the whole rrace concept..

Still a Domer for Life,
Lemonite

I kind of see where you're coming from Lemonite but consider this: There are 115 colleges and universities with division 1-A football teams in the U.S. Conservatively speaking I'd guess that 55% of the players on those teams are African-Americans. There are 4 (FOUR) African-American coaches in 1-A football and 111 white coaches. That's not a coincidence.
Prior to hiring Willingham Notre Dame had exactly 0 (ZERO) minorities employed as head coaches for their sports programs. Willingham has done a reasonably good job at Stanford, a school that like Notre Dame has high academic standards which make recruiting rather difficult. Stanford went 9-2 this year in a strong conference. I suspect that Willingham's record over the past six years would be considerably better had he been coaching and recruiting at a school like Florida St or Miami where prize recruits don't have to attend classes and are given a cheerleader and a new car just for signing a letter of intent.

Give him a shot, he might just surprise you.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
I kind of see where you're coming from Lemonite but consider this: There are 115 colleges and universities with division 1-A football teams in the U.S. Conservatively speaking I'd guess that 55% of the players on those teams are African-Americans. There are 4 (FOUR) African-American coaches in 1-A football and 111 white coaches. That's not a coincidence.
Prior to hiring Willingham Notre Dame had exactly 0 (ZERO) minorities employed as head coaches for their sports programs. Willingham has done a reasonably good job at Stanford, a school that like Notre Dame has high academic standards which make recruiting rather difficult. Stanford went 9-2 this year in a strong conference. I suspect that Willingham's record over the past six years would be considerably better had he been coaching and recruiting at a school like Florida St or Miami where prize recruits don't have to attend classes and are given a cheerleader and a new car just for signing a letter of intent.

Give him a shot, he might just surprise you.

MAP

I didn't know FSU players got free cheerleaders for signing. I don't think anyone would want a ND cheerleader though.

Originally posted by speedracer:
I didn't know FSU players got free cheerleaders for signing. I don't think anyone would want a ND cheerleader though.

Fuck off...

A domer,

CK

I said several weeks ago that this would happen (ND would hire Willingham). I think it is a great hire. Stanford has among the highest, if not THE highest academics among the PAC 10, yet they consistenly play football on par with the rest of the league, unlike Vanderbilt in the SEC and Duke in the ACC (although Duke rules basketball). Most recently, this has been due in no small part to Willingham as head coach. Alabama came close to naming an African-American assistant as head coach prior to the 1997 season, and I was curious who would be the first among the historic upper tier of football to do so. Willingham's name was even mentioned for the Alabama job a year ago. I think he will do very well at Notre Dame, and I think it is a good step for college football overall.

~U2Alabama

Ah yes.. as this saga unfolds, I am at the moment impressed with How willingham is handling.. Being a Tampa Bay Fan.. and also a Huge Tony Dungy Fan, Willingham seems to be of the same mold, We still will have to wait and see how he turns out as a coach.. The Big test.. next year's first game.. MARYLAND! .. But I liked it when he was asked 'Do You think this is a Huge issue of importance.. (being teh first big time black head coach)' .. he said.. 'No , It isn't a big issue'.. Winning major points with class where O Leary won with his irish catholic wit.. Also, I'm hoping he can bring with him some of those recruits who were giong to go To Stanford.. specifically a huuuuge defensive lineman, and an excellent passing quarterback.. though carlyle holiday will be heisman material in two years!! , and also.. all those votes that Lou Holtz didn't get back in the day and subsequently robbed him of at least one.. possibly two national championships, Hopefully teh sports writers will be on willingham's side...
So, we will see.. I hope this is a great great thing for ND.. but like the good ol ara said 'winning is the most important thing.. the only thing'..

Hah.. Screamer.... We Sure still do have the Circus Lunch!.. A new little thing has also sparked a novelty in the Dining Hall.. Every month or so.. I or a few friends of mine rotating will Stand up on a table next to the exit door on the side,.. Yell in a ri-cock-u-lous voice 'III AAAAAMMMM SODA MAN' . then proceed to dump two cups of sparkling fountain coke.. or the over ocncentrated orange juice on our head.. Mostly under the codgling of Jack Daniels...

Originally posted by Lemonite:
Hah.. Screamer.... We Sure still do have the Circus Lunch!.. A new little thing has also sparked a novelty in the Dining Hall.. Every month or so.. I or a few friends of mine rotating will Stand up on a table next to the exit door on the side,.. Yell in a ri-cock-u-lous voice 'III AAAAAMMMM SODA MAN' . then proceed to dump two cups of sparkling fountain coke.. or the over ocncentrated orange juice on our head.. Mostly under the codgling of Jack Daniels...

you scare me soda man...
wink.gif

and CK - i didn't know you were a domer, too! that is most excellent!

Originally posted by Screaming Flower:
you scare me soda man...
wink.gif

and CK - i didn't know you were a domer, too! that is most excellent!

MS Accountancy - Summer 2000

CK

The AD Kevin White is probably going to be fired for not getting a big name.. or even .. GOOD coach.. (He should have waited for Mariucci or Gruden)...
I think you'll be pleasantlysurprised to learn over the next few years that Willingham is not a good coach, but in facct and excellent coach.
Don't underestimate what he did at Stanford. Yes Ga Tech beat them...but they were the onlyu team to beat Oregon this year...the race thing should not matter because he is very qualified, and I foresee a return to prominence by 2004.

(He should have waited for Mariucci or Gruden)

Neither were interested in the job....

Willingham isn't a good coach.. He didn't do all that well at Stanford. I mean.. Georgia Tech beat them for god's sake..

Oh boy, where to start here...TW did better at Stanford than Bill Walsh (didn't he win a few Super Bowls??) Stanford has a hard time staying competitive because of it's academic standards

d@mn you oleary for messing up your resume..

Believe me, you would not have been pleased with this guy. I watched two GTech games this year(Clem and MD) and in both, he made poor calls that cost his team wins. The Jackets actually looked better in their bowl game w/ out him.

Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr:

(He should have waited for Mariucci or Gruden)

Neither were interested in the job....

You can make this statement as much as I can the opposite.. In fact.. gruden was leaning towards the job more than he had.. and Mariucci had practically said 'ND.. just shut up til the end of the season then we'll talk'

Willingham Did not have as good a record as even Bob Davie.. So, tell me I'm wrong for making such a claim.. No, you can't.... We'll see .. Like I said, I hope I eat my words, but Time will tell if ND can win..

And I will also say, As he goes along, his impressions are first better than projected before, or even right after his hire... He's winning points, but we'll have to wait and see if He can win..

Clark.. I love your movies.. how you handled eddie was immaculate, But I would suggest next year to maybe add a tinge of blue to your house, sort of a Sulleyesque picture for Suburban chicago.

Willingham Did not have as good a record as even Bob Davie..

This is hardly a fair comparison. Davie had a lot more to work with in terms of quality of personnel. He inherited loads of talent from Holtz's tenure, and had a far easier time recruiting-- at least he should have...

Willingham walked into a program that hadn't been winning a lot at the time. He got about as much out of his players as you could hope for. His winning % @ Stanford is miles above the Cardinal program's overall record. THAT is coaching. Davie's record is below ND's overall mark. This is the comparison that is worthwhile making.

Clark.. I love your movies.. how you handled eddie was immaculate, But I would suggest next year to maybe add a tinge of blue to your house, sort of a Sulleyesque picture for Suburban chicago.

Lemonite, the way you speak of Willingham makes you sound like you're a good citizen of the town of Red Rock, but I wasn't in "Blazing Saddles" so I guess I wouldn't know...

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 01-05-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom