Mysterious Death Of US Soldier In Afghanistan - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Since when is it US Army policy to allow soldiers to execute homosexuals?
Why do points go flying over your head so often?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

And back to my point - this is a false conclusion. Being supportive of an Armed Forces policy prohibiting open homosexuality does not directly lead to putting a bullet into someone's head.
Again, NO ONE is saying this. However, when there is already a prevalent attitude that homosexuality is not welcome, or at the very least, discouraged, then it certainly doesn't discourage abuse from any overzealous homophobes if they happen to find out someone is gay.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And back to my point - this is a false conclusion. Being supportive of an Armed Forces policy prohibiting open homosexuality does not directly lead to putting a bullet into someone's head.
being in an environment where you're surrounded by sexist and/or homophobic individuals who are capable of such a hideous crime does. it isn't the military's policy to encourage that, of course. however since the military clearly doesn't believe in rights for open homosexuals, do you not think that the environment in itself is breeding grounds for homophobic perspectives?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

being in an environment where you're surrounded by sexist and/or homophobic individuals who are capable of such a hideous crime does. it isn't the military's policy to encourage that, of course. however since the military clearly doesn't believe in rights for open homosexuals, do you not think that the environment in itself is breeding grounds for homophobic perspectives?
I do respect the Left for pulling this off. They've spent the last thirty or forty years pointing out how evil it is to bigoted (racist, homophobe...etc)...then they put anyone who disagrees with them into that box.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The only people I can't tolerate are the intolerant...

It just makes sense to me.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #26
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

I do respect the Left for pulling this off. They've spent the last thirty or forty years pointing out how evil it is to bigoted (racist, homophobe...etc)...then they put anyone who disagrees with them into that box.
[oversimplistic]
Are you saying that it's ok to be racist and/or homophobic?
[/oversimplistic]

Seriously though, if you feel that homosexuals, who of no choice of their own are the way they are, don't deserve equal rights, then you are a bigot. Exactly the same way in which believing that other races are inferior to yours makes you a bigot. Period.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
Mrs. Springsteen, and any other concerned MA residents, I'm calling Kennedy (202-224-4543), Kerry(244-2742) and Delahunt (202-225-3111) to thank them for their involvement and urge them to continue. Delahunt isn't my congressman but he sure is eyeing a senate run whenever it opens up so they'll take a call from any MA resident. I'm also calling my guy, Capuano, to ask him to support Delahunt.

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cg...e=ctc&state=ma
for contact info.
Delahunt's office was awesome and totally responsive! They were really glad I called, wanted to know why I was so concerned, thanked me for calling Capuano, etc. If he runs when Kennedy or Kerry leaves office, and Capuano doesn't, then he's got my support (for other reasons too, but this is one of them).
Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

w2g. and thanks for the numbers. i'll call if i get to step out for a few minutes.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
w2g. and thanks for the numbers. i'll call if i get to step out for a few minutes.
Not sure what they'll do with an out of state call (though if you're from DC I guess they sorta have to rep you) but the Senators didn't even ask me for my zipcode (then, I was calling from a Boston area code). And Delahunt's office would probably appreciate the support.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Not sure what they'll do with an out of state call (though if you're from DC I guess they sorta have to rep you) but the Senators didn't even ask me for my zipcode (then, I was calling from a Boston area code). And Delahunt's office would probably appreciate the support.
yeah...i thought about that. but regardless of where i'm from i think they'd like to know that i too appreciate their involvement in this matter.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
I don't think we should jump to any conclusions about her specific case, but it is an important general issue all the same. And in the wake of the Tillman case and some other instances, it's only natural that some people are unsure and even skeptical-and healthy skepticism is good.

By Globe Staff Oct 4th

The family of a Massachusetts National Guard soldier from Quincy who died in Afghanistan says family members met with Army investigators last night for about four hours and were reassured about their probe into her death.

"The family is confident that the Army is conducting a thorough investigation of Ciara's death and intends to give the Army time to complete its inquiry," the family of Ciara Durkin said in a statement released this morning.

The family said earlier this week it had a number of questions about the Army investigation.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds like someone got a lecture. And/Or some results. Hopefully the latter - which they may never have gotten without the publicity and congressional support. I'll be watching the Globe for more news about the inquiry.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

you're right, we should refrain from jumping to conclusions. i just don't think it is cool to keep so much information from the family. if they want to keep it from the public, fine. but the family has a right to know about simple things such as autopsy results and her will.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

The Globe has a beautiful in memoriam article about Ciara Durkin.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...4/ciara_and_i/

Quote:
When I heard the news on Sunday night that Ciara had died last week while serving as an Army soldier in Afghanistan, I assumed that she had perished doing something like breaking the fall of a stranger who had fallen 26 feet from a ladder, (which she had already done for an American private contractor in April). I can’t even begin to wrap my head around what might have actually taken her life.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
you're right, we should refrain from jumping to conclusions. i just don't think it is cool to keep so much information from the family. if they want to keep it from the public, fine. but the family has a right to know about simple things such as autopsy results and her will.
I agree that the family has a right to know, and that we shouldn't jump to conclusions. But I also think that if this turns out to have been a murder, particularly a hate crime, the public does have the right to know. There should be a Congressional inquiry into both the incident and the atmosphere and policies that may have contributed to it.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I agree that the family has a right to know, and that we shouldn't jump to conclusions. But I also think that if this turns out to have been a murder, particularly a hate crime, the public does have the right to know. There should be a Congressional inquiry into both the incident and the atmosphere and policies that may have contributed to it.
oh agreed. hate crimes are a threat to a community, not just an individual. however i think that personal things like details of the autopsy and her will can still be private-family-only-info.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:

and the atmosphere and policies that may have contributed to it.
Animal Farm alert.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Re: Mysterious Death Of US Soldier In Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I don't know if this is making national news at all.
The story has been getting some attention over here as she was originally from Ireland.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Animal Farm alert.