*My* U.S. Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Okay, you can officially say that hell froze over.

But seriously, it has come to my attention that I come off as "anti-American" with my posts. I'm not going to deny that I severely disagree with most everything that President Bush stands for (exception being increased domestic security), but does that make me "anti-American"? Did that make the conservatives here "anti-American" when they severely disliked former President Clinton?

I have gone outside this country a few times. Several times to Canada (it's like an hour away), twice to the U.K., twice to France, once to Switzerland, and once to Italy/Vatican City. For better or for worse, putting politicians aside, I do love America. Where I get into trouble is that, while many see the country for what it is, I see it for what it could be.

However, I would be blind if I didn't say that America didn't take much of the full force of criticism in this forum. I can say that some of the criticisms are warranted, but I would say that many of these same criticisms can easily be applied to other nations. I guess, really, it is easy to knock on America in this forum, because this is the one nation you can honestly say that everyone here knows about; and if you started talking about Liechtenstein politics, we'd have quite a few people saying "What???"
wink.gif

The last few days, I have been forced to revisit September 11th, thanks to a recurring nightmare (FYI, it really isn't that bad, though). Honestly, it has only made me appreciate the men and women who serve to protect our nation even more--the firemen, the policemen, and even the troops. I am thankful for their service more than you can imagine.

Well, the purpose of this post was mainly to say that, despite my criticisms, I am patriotic in my own way. No, I don't wave flags and, no, I'm not going to turn a blind eye to whatever President Bush does in the name of it either; but, with that, if I really didn't give a shit about this nation, would I even care what they do?

I'm not telling people here to suddenly censor themselves either--if you choose to wholly ignore this post, I'll make no fuss about it. I mainly wrote this for myself and to promote understanding. Take it for what you will.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I like Americans. They're some of the friendliest people around. I admire their boldness and sense of adventure. And I like America, the country... the landscapes, the vastness of it all. I'm going to go visit there again sometime soon.

I totally agree with you, Melon. I disagree with virtually everything Bush says and does, and in the end I hated Clinton, too. I generally vote for one of the third parties, since my views are considered too leftist even for the Democrats. But the point is I care enough to vote. I criticize my country all the time, yet when I had the opportunity to marry an Italian and live in Italy, I knew I couldn't do it. This is my home and I love it. I could be in a villa in Tuscany, but here I am in an adobe house in the Southwest.

P.S. Lichtenstein is the only country in Western Europe I haven't visited.

*raises hand timidly*
Um, when did speaking out against American policy make someone un-American? I thought that made you more of a friend. You're watching over the actions our country is taking and that's a hell of a lot more than 99% (sad to say) of your fellow Americans. Hey, i don't want our country to fuck up. and i realize that we could very easily right now, so i pay attention (of course i am 17, making me invisible to almost all of the politicians) and speak up. it's our duty! just because we're born here doesn't mean we have no responsibility for it. be America's friend, tell her she looks fat in her jeans if she asks you if she looks fat. you may look mean in the moment, but the effort is definately noticed and appreciated.

------------------
*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

flibbertigibbet

The Edge, it's a direct object.

"I'm forgetful. But above all, I'm lazy."

Well stated melon!

I think that when we criticize our politicians, we are actually following in the footsteps of our forefathers. They were extremely critical of each other. It does not make them or us UN-American. We take it very personal when we see an elected official distort and pervert the freedoms and liberties of OUR country.

Melon wrote, "Where I get into trouble is that, while many see the country for what it is, I see it for what it could be." That is the exact frame of mind and thinking that made Dr. Martin Luther King the greatest American hero that we have ever witnessed. Due to his selfless sacrifices, ALL of us enjoy greater rights and freedoms.

I think that I am probably more critical than anybody in this forum. I am a Libertarian,WWW.LP.ORG , due to the fact that I think both Republicans and Democrats have brought about gridlock, corruption and arrogance to OUR government. They have managed to destroy our trust and any dignity that their offices hold. Keep in mind, they are elected to SERVE us, not GOVERN us.

I am critical of our politicians, not America or the U.S. Constitution. I think it is, and should be, in our very nature to critique our elected officials. After all, it's stated in the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

---------------------------------------------

WWW.LP.ORG

[This message has been edited by A|catura (edited 02-16-2002).]

Originally posted by STING2:
Melon,
Why have you not been to Ireland?!?!?!

I really do need to visit there sometime! This past summer, when I was in England and Scotland, my schedule was pretty much tied up. In Scotland, for instance, I spent most of my time in the film festival, since that was what we were supposed to do (it was a film study abroad trip).

But I absolutely love it over there. I really want to go back someday, likely around the film festival again, but, this time, I should have more room for side trips.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I agree.. I feel the same way.. Lilly I think was writing about Living in Italy..

I've been to lots of places abroad, and no matter how much I love the golf courses of Scotland and Ireland, the Alps of Innsbruk and Luzern (sp?), and the hominess of the Black Forest, I would feel like I'd be missing something if I lived in another country.. I know the nonamericans would proly feel the same for their own country.. But I can't imagine living anywhere else, no matter how beautiful or much I may like other places.. (As the Lee Greenwood tune drifts into our ears).. I love this place.

But I dearly want to visit Australia.

L.Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom