My 2 gripes w Conseritives and Republicans here locally and nationally.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
1-
The first one is easy yet indefensible, and is on more of a national level.
Its the music and artists we have supporting our camp.
Im embarrassed.:angry:
I mean most our country artists and at every rally they will trot out or play this type of idiotic stoopid music:angry: :down:
Im reaching my threshold of tolerence here:angry:.
Most of the cool artists are on the left:mad:

2-
The 2nd is a very small fringe yet subtle group w racist's views that think the GOP is a safe haven to hide out in our polictical party w/their archaic views
They are being exposed and asked to leave.
Case in point..The Squaw Peak Controversy in the State of Arizona..
In Arizona there is a very large Native American Population.
There is also a landmark named long ago the the most American Indians find offensible, it's called "Squaw Peak"..it's a large desert mountain.
There has been lobbying in the past to change its name. Its caused alot of heated feelings.
Recently a Native American female soilder lost her life in the Iraq War.
Immeadiately 2 young Republicans friends of mine suggested we rename "Squaw Peak" to "Piestawa Peak"..after Private Lori Piestawa, who being the first woman to lose her life in Iraq and also Native American.
It was a brillant idea.
Most Republicans agreed w/this gesture. A few old-school did not.
They tried to oppose this and thankfully were unsuccessful:lol:
Ppl w/this mindset in my party embarrass me. and make me ill.

Squaw Peak has now been renamed to "Piestawa Peak" after Lori Piestawa thanks to my friends' suggestion (Republicans) and Gov Janet Napalitano, a Democrat:up:

0420piestewabio17.jpg

diamond
:)

Last edited:
diamond said:
1-
The first one is easy yet indefensible, and is on more of a national level.
Its the music and artists we have supporting our camp.
Im embarrassed.:angry:
I mean most our country artists and at every rally they will trot out or play this type of idiotic stoopid music:angry: :down:
Im reaching my threshold of tolerence here:angry:.
Most of the cool artists are on the left:mad:

Case in point: "God Bless the U.S.A."

I hate that song.

2-
The 2nd is a very small fringe yet subtle group w racist's views... Case in point..The Squaw Peak Controversy in the State of Arizona..
In Arizona there is a very large Native American Population.
There is also a landmark named long ago the the most American Indians find offensible, it's called "Squaw Peak"..it's a large desert mountain.
There has been lobbying in the past to change its name. Its caused alot of heated feelings.
Recently a Native American female soilder lost her life in the Iraq War.
Immeadiately 2 young Republicans friends of mine suggested we rename "Squaw Peak" to "Piestawa Peak"..after Private Lori Piestawa, who being the first woman to lose her life in Iraq and also Native American.
It was a brillant idea.
Most Republicans agreed w/this gesture. A few old-school did not.
They tried to oppose this and thankfully were unsuccessful:lol:
Ppl w/this mindset in my party embarrass me. and make me ill.

I think that's a beautiful and very appropriate gesture on the part of the state of Arizona.

Nice post, Diamond! :up:

Cast of characters..
Republican Tom Liddy below-:

tomlid.gif

Tom Liddy and Austin Hill co-colabborators of original renaming idea.:
[IMG]http://www.kfyi.com/images/liddhill446.jpg
http://www.kfyi.com/images/liddhill446.jpg[/IMG]
url]

Az Govenor Janet Napalitano-

[IMG]http://www.azreporter.com/images/news/janetn.jpg

Lori:-
0324war-hopi.jpg

:up::)

DB9

Last edited:
The music thing is irrelevant.

The racist thing is legitimate. I guess it takes a local issue for you to realize this or admit it. Squaw, I believe is a derogatory name for female private parts.

The party still selectively panders to bigots in close campaigns. The fact that they have a home in the party and influence is troubling to me. They only get in trouble with the party, if it costs them politically.
If the party purged them as you suggest they could not win the close elections we have had lately.

I hope intolerance and even hostility to gays and lesbians bothers you also. America should be for all people. People who work hard, pay taxes and obey the laws should not be treated as less than others.
The American Revolution was fought because of taxation without representation. Now, there are many that make a full contribution and even sacrifice for their country and do not receive the same benefits as others.

I was really ready to give up on you after your recent behavior in FYM :angry: but you've redeemed yourself with this excellent thread :up:

I agree with you 100% on both issues, especially the second one. Sqaw Peak is an offensive name and renaming it after a Native American who died in service to her country was an appropriate thing to do.

:)

I have also refuse to dance at these damn rallies until they change the musical format:angry:

thank u
db3
:angry:

fan.jpg

I will choose who and who I will not dance with Republican or Rock Star:)

thank u-
diamond
bruno
:wink:

Last edited:
That doesn't look like dancing to me :scratch:

It looks like you picked him up and tried to make a run for it.

American Heroism

Lori Piestewa's journey from Tuba city to her death in Iraq

Pat Flannery and Betty Reid
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 20, 2003 12:00 AM

TUBA CITY - The essential thing to understand about Lori Piestewa is that she grew up in a poor, isolated community where dreams often swirl just out of reach like the fine red dust dancing across her homeland.

Under different circumstances, this shy, 23-year-old Army private from Tuba City, the one whose "cute" laugh everyone remembered, might not have had to leave one ancient desert to die in another half a world away.

But hers wasn't a perfect world. She married young and divorced fast. She loved her two kids, cooking chicken enchiladas, playing softball and listening to the Cranberries. She was a church-going Catholic, but she honored her Hopi heritage by attending religious dances at nearby Moenkopi Village. Most of all, she had aspirations.

At a critical point three weeks ago, Piestewa found herself in Iraq with the 507th Maintenance Company because the poverty, the lack of opportunity, the sheer boredom of life in Tuba City left her few other options when it came to feeding her ambitions and her children.

In a sense, it was every young Native American from the hills above the Moenkopi Plateau who stood in Piestewa's boots when she met an ambush and an early death outside the Iraqi town of Nasiriyah. Each year, dozens of young men and women just like Piestewa leave the Hopi and Navajo reservations, which converge in Tuba City, all searching for something they can't find at home.

Some hope to further their education, knowing they might not be able to put it to use if they return to their reservations where job shortages and unemployment are endemic. Others chase the dollars into the cities, hunting the array of jobs that eludes them on tribal lands.

Eventually, many are drawn back home by the forbidding but beautiful landscapes of the high desert and by the intangible lure of a more traditional and tranquil lifestyle on the reservation. To them, America's big cities are too frenetic. The washout rate among college-bound kids is 80 percent, said Bobby Robbins, a Navajo employment counselor. The reason: trouble adjusting to the hectic and impersonal life they find there.

Against that backdrop, an inordinate number of young Native Americans make the military their destination, if only short-term, because it offers instant money, free on-the-job training, decent benefits, a structured and patriotic environment and a line on the resume that says "veteran." It gives them a leg up if they decide to compete for prized government jobs back home on "the rez."

This ebb and flow of people is a generations-old pattern.

"The others who are left behind want to get off the rez because they see the successful ones going off the rez," explained Lola Riggs of Tuba City, a college graduate and mother of three.

Piestewa was determined not to be left behind. In her zeal to get ahead, this ordinary young woman was transformed by war into an international hero.

Youngest in family

Born in December 1980 to a Hopi father, Terry Piestewa, and a Hispanic mother, Priscilla "Percy" Baca Piestewa, Lori Ann was the youngest of four children, two boys and two girls. She spent part of her childhood in Winslow but grew up mostly in Tuba City. Though taught from an early age about her Hopi background - the family name literally means "pool of still water" - she was raised on the Navajo side of U.S. 160 in the town, which marks the boundary between the Navajo and Hopi reservations.

Piestewa's parents have lived for years in a small white home on Tuba City Unified School District property. Terry is a district maintenance man. Percy is a momlike figure to hundreds who've come through Tuba City's schools. First a dorm aide at the Bureau of Indian Affairs boarding school and later an administrative assistant at the local middle school, Percy took everyone under her wing, from students to new residents.

Yet details of Piestewa's childhood are sketchy. Her family and closest friends have avoided talking about her past. Some say it's because Hopi custom discourages talk of the dead. Others say her family simply isn't prepared to tackle such a painful subject. Nonetheless, a picture of a happy and stable childhood emerges from others who knew her.

Some remembered her as a "daddy's girl," playing Little League baseball with her team, the Indians, when she was 7 or 8. By eighth grade, she was making an impression as a determined volleyball player despite being shorter than 5 feet.

She was good enough to stand out, recalled teammate Vachel Kewenvoyouma, 25, of Prescott. Everyone called her "Little Lori," and she never missed practice.

"She never gave up, always tried harder," Kewenvoyouma said. "No matter how down we were in scores, she tried harder."

At Tuba City High School, Piestewa was pitcher and second baseman on the softball team where her steely determination again was on display.

Truth is, there isn't much else for energetic kids to do in Tuba City but play sports. Outdoor basketball courts dot the landscape. The 5,000-seat Warrior Pavilion was built at Tuba City High to meet basketball's huge popularity.

Another popular diversion is running, and there's plenty of vast open spaces for it. Otherwise, kids mainly wander the dusty streets of Tuba City on skateboards or bikes, listening to hip-hop and punk music. Sometimes, they congregate at the nearby Castle Rock, a commanding formation of twisted red rock spires rising from the desert floor outside town.

For a while, there was a theater in town, but it closed a year ago, leaving a small video store as the key outlet for popular entertainment. There's a Bashas' on the highway but nothing resembling a mall. Kids often drive 75 miles to Flagstaff on weekends to stroll Flagstaff Mall or Wal-Mart. Parks and recreation centers are a distant dream.

Families that can afford it have computers, but 44 percent of Tuba City families with kids live in poverty, so it's a luxury most can't afford.

"Where do they go?" asked Javier Brown, a teacher and counselor for more than 20 years in Tuba City schools. "It's been brought up with the tribe: What do we have for these kids?"

The consequences of boredom are a high juvenile crime rate and notable alcohol and substance abuse problems. Partying among teens is a constant public health threat, but as 16-year-old Tuba City High freshman Kile Alix said, "There's nothing else to do."

Influence of ROTC

Piestewa immersed herself in sports and her school's Junior ROTC program while doing reasonably well in academics. Acquaintances say it was ROTC that got Piestewa thinking seriously about the military. Harry Riggs III, 17, of Tuba City, said ROTC means more than just strenuous physical exercise and disciplined drilling.

"It's really a leadership program," said the Tuba City High junior, himself an ROTC cadet. "Kids come in shy and passive. . . . When they come out, they're not shy; they're leaders."

More than 60 students are enrolled, roughly half of them women. Although Riggs concedes that "ROTC is not the cool thing to do," he says it protects teens who are struggling to fill their time productively.

Take Venishaah Isaac of Tuba City. At 17, Isaac has a 2-year-old son and is pregnant. She dropped out of school and is trying to get her general equivalency diploma. Her boyfriend, Merle Lee, 20, was kicked out of school two months short of graduation and has supported himself off and on by playing in a local rock band.

Isaac and Lee know they've made mistakes. They're hoping to correct them. They've started going to a local Christian church; they're marrying in June; and their baby is due in October. They're still looking for a place to live.

"A lot of kids leave here because they want a taste of a different life," Isaac said. "I've wanted my whole life to leave here."

Piestewa was not immune to similar pitfalls. In her senior year, she became pregnant.

Piestewa had met Bill H. Whiterock, a Navajo and three-sport athlete at Tuba City High her sophomore year. He was a Warrior wrestler and she the team's manager. He was a year older.

They were truly in love, said Whiterock's brother, Donnie, 22.

They hung out at the local McDonald's and a restaurant nearby called Kate's Cafe. Every morning, they'd go to the school weight room to work out together. After school, they cruised the main street in a rickety maroon and silver GMC pickup, or drove to Flagstaff for a movie. One prom night, they drove to Flagstaff for Chinese food.

Whiterock graduated in May 1997 and enlisted in the Army. Shortly before he was to reported for basic training in October 1997, Piestewa became pregnant. On Oct.24, the couple were married by a Flagstaff justice of the peace.

Rena Whiterock, Bill's mother, was surprised by the nuptials, finding out the night before when she joined the Piestewas for dinner. The Whiterocks bought a wedding ring the next day at Flagstaff Mall. Within days, Piestewa tearfully sent Whiterock off to basic training at Fort Sill, Okla.

Piestewa had moved in with the Whiterocks before her marriage and considered herself family, cooking Mexican food for all and making plans for her baby. She always dressed sharply, Rena said, often wearing her ROTC uniform. Taking advanced courses, she completed her 20 credit-hours in the fall of 1997, allowing her to graduate from high school in December of that year.

Off to North Carolina

In February 1998, Whiterock finished basic training. His family and Piestewa went to Oklahoma for the ceremony, after which Piestewa and Whiterock moved to Fort Bragg, N.C. where he was assigned to an artillery unit. They lived in a trailer. The couple's son, Brandon Terry, was born in May 1998.

Their time in North Carolina is something of a mystery. What is clear is that marital problems developed. Whiterock's parents say Piestewa told her husband she, too, wanted to join the service, but Whiterock objected. Instead, Piestewa had another child, Carla Lynn, in 1999. She brought both children home briefly to be baptized at St. Jude's Catholic Church in Tuba City. Whiterock's parents say they weren't aware of any problems at the time.

"She never said anything to me about the military," Rena Whiterock said. Piestewa did mention wanting to go to college.

By October 2000, Whiterock was sick of the service. He mustered out, and they moved home. Only now, Whiterock moved in with his parents and she with hers. Whiterock's parents aren't sure why the marriage began to disintegrate.

"She took care of my son when they were in North Carolina," Rena said. "I appreciate that."

Nonetheless, the subject of divorce came up. Whiterock's parents say their son still loved his wife, and he balked. They both started dating others. Whiterock got a job as a welder, and like a lot of Navajo men, followed his job out of state to California. It was then that Piestewa began to look seriously at her own military option. As the former commander of her high school ROTC corps, it had never been far from her mind.

Piestewa still took her little ones to see her in-laws regularly, and they stayed on good terms. During one visit, Piestewa told her estranged husband's younger brother that she was ready to join the Army. Father Godden Menard of St. Jude's Catholic Church said she also spoke of wanting to travel.

It meant she had to leave her children. Though leaving kids behind is not a terribly unusual event on the reservation, where children frequently are raised by grandparents or extended family, Piestewa's grandfather, Manuel Baca, said it was a tough decision for his granddaughter.

On March 30, 2001, Piestewa reported for basic training at Fort Sill, just as Whiterock had. She then went to Advanced Individual Training at Fort Lee, Va., before accepting her first duty assignment with the 507th Maintenance Company, a unit assigned to the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade at Fort Bliss, Texas.

The unit, whose motto is "Just Fix It," is packed with mechanics and technicians trained to repair trucks and heavy equipment, including the unit's missile systems. Piestewa's job: keeping track via computer of supplies used by the 150-person detail.

A new friend

It was at Fort Bliss that she met Pfc. Jessica Lynch, who would become her fast friend and roommate in roughly February 2002, said Lynch's brother, Gregory Lynch of Palestine, W.V.

"Jessie talked about her all the time," Gregory said, adding that they would go to malls and movies together in their spare time.

In February, her divorce from Whiterock became final. Shortly before she was deployed to Iraq in March, she called Whiterock in Tuba City. He wasn't home, but Rena spoke to her.

"She said, 'Finally, we're going to leave.' I just told her to take care of herself," Rena said.

Piestewa gave a local TV interview before shipping out, saying prophetically, "It's very important knowing that my family is well taken care of."

On March 23, as the 507th was in a convoy headed north through the Iraqi desert, one of its vehicles broke down. Part of the unit stopped for quick repairs, then continued north. Although Pentagon officials are still investigating precisely what happened, this much is known: The convoy made a wrong turn and drove into the outskirts of Nasiriyah, where Iraqi troops lay in ambush. A brutal firefight took place.

At least 15 soldiers from the unit were known to be missing, including Piestewa and Lynch. All of Tuba City held vigil along with the Piestewa clan. Yellow ribbons hung from trees, cars, bushes and signposts. Piestewa's best friend, Trinity Honahni, put a yellow ribbon at each post in her family's fence, hoping for the best. Prayer services and Native American ceremonies abounded.

Nine days later, Lynch was rescued, buoying everyone's hopes for Piestewa.

But on April 4, the heavy news arrived that Piestewa's body was one of those found in a shallow grave near the hospital where Lynch had been found.

It is unclear whether she died in the firefight or was killed later. Rena Whiterock went to the Piestewa home. Percy, Lori's mother, held her hand tightly and said, "My daughter is safe now. Nobody is going to hurt her anymore."

Piestewa's ex-husband found out the hard way: from a news broadcast the next day in Page, where he works at the Salt River Project power plant.

"When I'm alone, when I'm driving down the road at the crack of dawn, when I see flags wave, when I see yellow ribbons, I think about Lori," said Bill's father, Henry Whiterock. "My son loved Lori."

Carla is too young to know what happened. But 4-year-old Brandon has figured out that his mother won't be back.

Before a recent memorial honoring Piestewa, Brandon told his father and grandmother, "My mom is an angel. I'll never see her again. She's an angel watching over you."

0,1886,2147576,00.jpg

Lori Piestawa and Jessica Lynch were roomates at one time:)

Last edited:
deep said:

The party still selectively panders to bigots in close campaigns. The fact that they have a home in the party and influence is troubling to me. They only get in trouble with the party, if it costs them politically.
If the party purged them as you suggest they could not win the close elections we have had lately.

I hope intolerance and even hostility to gays and lesbians bothers you also. America should be for all people. People who work hard, pay taxes and obey the laws should not be treated as less than others.
The American Revolution was fought because of taxation without representation. Now, there are many that make a full contribution and even sacrifice for their country and do not receive the same benefits as others.

I am not surprised that a dead Indian is a good Indian.

Well, in a rush to back slapping no one addressed my concern of tolerated bigotry.

see this article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-santorum22apr22,1,5075336.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dnation

Santorum's Remarks About Gays Spur Calls for Censure
From Associated Press

April 22, 2003

WASHINGTON -- WASHINGTON ? Gay rights groups, fuming over Sen. Rick Santorum's comparison of homosexuality to bigamy, polygamy, incest and adultery, urged Republican leaders on Monday to consider removing the Pennsylvania lawmaker from the GOP Senate leadership.
The coalition of groups compared Santorum's remarks to those made in December by Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi about Strom Thurmond's 1948 segregationist campaign for the presidency. Shortly afterward, Lott was forced to resign as GOP Senate leader.

Santorum is chairman of the GOP conference in the Senate, third in his party's leadership.

"We're urging the Republican leadership to condemn the remarks. They were stunning in their insensitivity, and they're the same types of remarks that sparked outrage toward Senator Lott," said David Smith, a spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay advocacy group. "We would ask that the leadership reconsider his standing within the conference leadership."

In an interview with Associated Press, Santorum criticized homosexuality while discussing a pending Supreme Court case over a Texas sodomy law.

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything," he said.

Santorum spokeswoman Erica Clayton Wright said the lawmaker's comments "were specific" to the Supreme Court case.

Pax,

This thread is about gripes with the Rep. party.

There are some who have stated the party does not tolerate bigotry.

I did not want to start a thread on the Senator's remarks, but only ask those who say the party is mending it's ways to respond to this.

I don't think they will.

LogCabin.jpg
url]
-Please click:)
Popular Az Republican Polictian Jim Kolbe :up:[url]http://www.lcrphiladelphia.org/images/cabin_01.gif[/url]
LCRLogoCA.gif

Sometimes AntiRepublican Zealotry is louder than truth, but truth stands at the end of the day.

about.1.jpg

My openly Gay friend State Represenative Steve May of Arizona, who I voted for...

DB9

Last edited:
Diamond,
I don't think anyone suggested that *every* Republican is bigoted and homophobic, but I'm sure you agree it's very worrying that someone with such extreme homophobic views as Senator Santorum is welcomed at high levels of the Republican party.

keyword="every".
other key words..
open-mindedness
compassionate
tolerant

all traits of the New Republicans:)

DB9

Well, to be fair, the fact that the third most senior Republican is a bigoted :censored: doesn't really give credibility to your argument that Republicans are tolerant!

I'm not saying there aren't many individual Republicans who are tolerant and I'm definitely not accusing you of being intolerant, but you can't really blame people for having concerns about the Republican party when it has men like Senator Santorum in its leadership!

Log Cabin Club pictures are not going to erase the images I have of your party's highest speaking at Bob Jones U, patting old Strom on the back, pandering to Pat Robertson, trying to dismantle Affirmative Action at every turn. Here in California, your Pete Wilson was getting his ass kicked until he was able to blame the state's problems on the "illegals" and play on the old white folks' fear of anyone darker and different.

No, diamond; it's not a big tent. It's narrow and cramped, and filled with the fearful.

Last edited:
Oh yeah...that time that Bush spoke at BJU absolutely disgusted me. How DARE that man go and support people who are bigoted against black people, gay people, Catholics, women and many others. How DARE he speak at a college which at the time forbade Black and white people to date one another? How DARE he endorse such disgusting views.

:mad: :mad: :censored: :mad:

Well
The Log Cabin Republicans havent left,:) they steered right.:)

Sowell.JPG
1557045399.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
armstron.jpg
watts.j.c.7-19-01.jpg

Colored blind Republicans..:)

DB9

Last edited:
diamond said:
Well
The Log Cabin Republicans havent left,:) they steered right.:)

Sowell.JPG
1557045399.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
armstron.jpg
watts.j.c.7-19-01.jpg

Colored blind Republicans..:)

DB9

I like to think of the
Log Cabin Republicans as..
independent thinking people not having to cow-tow to certain overreactionary folk:):dance:
:up:
DB9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom