Muslim center request denied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
A Muslim worship center that some locals wanted isn't going to be built. Some locals were opposed to it. I say it's not fair. They should have a place to worship just like everyone else.

Last edited:
We had a huge, huge controversy over a Mosque being built here (in Boston) and some Jewish organizations accused them of being linked to terrorists which made their donations dried up so they sued the Jewish orgs.... overall wonderful for Jewish-Muslim relations in the area. Recently there was an interfaith opening (? or some sort of going-forward) ceremony attended by Jewish, Christian and Muslim groups, much better.

Sadly in a post 9-11 world this type of thing is going to happen.

They had hearings at which the opponents spoke about not wanting this worship center in their backyard. Some thought it was OK to have it but not near their houses. Basically it's fear.

I might add that one of the locals who opposed the center thinks all Muslims are terrorists and are out to overthrow the U.S. government.

verte76 said:
No, never.
Well, hardly ever. /random Annie quotes

:sigh: Maybe one day the U.S. will remember why we became a country in our own right and stop trying to control the world.

I think (although she is free to correct me) that verte lives in Alabama.

Crazy story. There's a (fairly) new TV show here on the CBC called "Little Mosque on the Prairie", about a Muslim community that lives in a town out west. The first few episodes were about them trying to build a mosque in this small town. I bet that a lot of the lines on the (fictional) show that were presented as humor were actually used to fight back against this mosque in reality. How stupid can some people be? :tsk:

verte76 said:

Why? Don't they have the right to worship? You don't have to like their religion.
I wouldn't use a mosque, I didn't say that they shouldm't be allowed to build a centre of worship, only that I can think of more productive forms of land use.

A_Wanderer said:
I would rather see a strip club built nearby than a mosque.

I don't think I would like Parliament "sitting" next door to me, so you're more than welcome to have the strip club.

:wink:

A_Wanderer said:
I wouldn't use a mosque, I didn't say that they shouldm't be allowed to build a centre of worship, only that I can think of more productive forms of land use.

So no churches, synagogues, etc. either?

Tania said:

I don't think I would like Parliament "sitting" next door to me, so you're more than welcome to have the strip club.

:wink:
This is Tania's way of saying she wants old Kev to shove a 20 down her knickers??

:ohmy:

verte76 said:

I wouldn't call them useless, as a practicing Catholic.
Yeah and thats completely your business just as people who worship a God who chose to give final revelation to an illitarate merchant in the 7th century have the right to buy land to build a place of worship; doesn't make them any less meaningless or any more useful to me.

A_Wanderer said:
Yeah and thats completely your business just as people who worship a God who chose to give final revelation to an illitarate merchant in the 7th century have the right to buy land to build a place of worship; doesn't make them any less meaningless or any more useful to me.

Muslims believe that illiterate merchant was a prophet.

Christians believe a poor carpenter was the savior of the world.

Buddhists believe an oddball ascetic discovered the path to eternal happiness.

What's the point? :shrug:

verte76 said:

Muslims believe that illiterate merchant was a prophet.
And they are being willfully uncritical, theres no law against people holding or talking about stupid beliefs.

DaveC said:
Christians believe a poor carpenter was the savior of the world.

Buddhists believe an oddball ascetic discovered the path to eternal happiness.

What's the point? :shrug:

the Buddhist have the more plausible argument

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom