Muslim center request denied - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:33 PM
All equally useless.
__________________

A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #22
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tania


I don't think I would like Parliament "sitting" next door to me, so you're more than welcome to have the strip club.

This is Tania's way of saying she wants old Kev to shove a 20 down her knickers??

__________________

__________________
<a href=https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #23
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 2,710
Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

This is Tania's way of saying she wants old Kev to shove a 20 down her knickers??



And this is Anna's way of getting a big fat tuna
Tania is offline  
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
All equally useless.
I wouldn't call them useless, as a practicing Catholic.
verte76 is offline  
Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76


I wouldn't call them useless, as a practicing Catholic.
Yeah and thats completely your business just as people who worship a God who chose to give final revelation to an illitarate merchant in the 7th century have the right to buy land to build a place of worship; doesn't make them any less meaningless or any more useful to me.
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yeah and thats completely your business just as people who worship a God who chose to give final revelation to an illitarate merchant in the 7th century have the right to buy land to build a place of worship; doesn't make them any less meaningless or any more useful to me.
Muslims believe that illiterate merchant was a prophet.
verte76 is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,355
Local Time: 09:33 AM
Christians believe a poor carpenter was the savior of the world.

Buddhists believe an oddball ascetic discovered the path to eternal happiness.

What's the point?
DaveC is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76


Muslims believe that illiterate merchant was a prophet.
And they are being willfully uncritical, theres no law against people holding or talking about stupid beliefs.
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
theres no law against people holding or talking about stupid beliefs.
Which is good for many of the posters here, wouldn't you agree?
martha is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Christians believe a poor carpenter was the savior of the world.

Buddhists believe an oddball ascetic discovered the path to eternal happiness.

What's the point?
the Buddhist have the more plausible argument
deep is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


Which is good for many of the posters here, wouldn't you agree?
Yes
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #32
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


the Buddhist have the more plausible argument
riiiigggghhhhhhhtttt...........

Just some of the physical traits of the buddha:

He has feet with a level sole
He has wheel marks on soles
He has projecting heels
He can touch his knees without bending
His sexual organs are concealed in a sheath
His skin is so fine that no dust can attach to it
His body hair is bluish and curls clockwise
There is no hollow between his shoulders
He has 40 teeth
His teeth are evenly spaced
His teeth are without gaps in-between
He has crystal-like canine teeth
His eyes are like a cow's
His head is like a royal turban
toscano is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #33
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 12:33 AM
oh, for fucks sake. like a guy walking on water, healing the crippled, allowing the blind to see, feeding the masses with a few fish and loaves of bread, water to wine, not actually asphyxiating on the cross, but living for 3 days (or whatever it supposedly was) is believable because it was a miracle?


... yeah.
__________________
<a href=https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yes
I wasn't talking about the religious ones you know.
martha is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #35
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
oh, for fucks sake. like a guy walking on water, healing the crippled, allowing the blind to see, feeding the masses with a few fish and loaves of bread, water to wine, not actually asphyxiating on the cross, but living for 3 days (or whatever it supposedly was) is believable because it was a miracle?


... yeah.
no........but that wasn't the point being made ! I've noticed you have an extraordinary ability to debate the not-being-debated.............
toscano is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,355
Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano


riiiigggghhhhhhhtttt...........

Just some of the physical traits of the buddha:

He has feet with a level sole
He has wheel marks on soles
He has projecting heels
He can touch his knees without bending
His sexual organs are concealed in a sheath
His skin is so fine that no dust can attach to it
His body hair is bluish and curls clockwise
There is no hollow between his shoulders
He has 40 teeth
His teeth are evenly spaced
His teeth are without gaps in-between
He has crystal-like canine teeth
His eyes are like a cow's
His head is like a royal turban
I think Angela's point was that every religion ascribes weird metaphors and traits to describe their founder.

Jesus Christ has had his fair share of completely balls-out whacko shit said about him, too. How is being able to walk on water any more out there than saying someone can touch their knees without bending?
DaveC is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #37
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
LJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belfast
Posts: 5,191
Local Time: 02:33 PM
I don't think Toscano is claiming Jesus' miracles are any more plausible than the stuff about Buddha...I think she was attacking Deep's assertion that Buddhism has the more "plausible" argument...when none of them are that plausible to begin with.
LJT is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,884
Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I might add that one of the locals who opposed the center thinks all Muslims are terrorists and are out to overthrow the U.S. government.
ignorant/ overly fearlful people
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


I wasn't talking about the religious ones you know.
Does it matter, so people think i'm full of shit thats their problem, I can think they are full of shit too so it makes it ok. For instnace I think that it is offensive that people who claim to believe in the right to free speech won't make the distinction between supporting the right and supporting the speech when it offends their sensibilities.

And as an on topic point I think that they should be allowed to build, but that the call to prayer being blared out would be dodgy and that the planning and development issues should be compliant.
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Yeah, the calling to prayer is a valid point. It's noise. It's a pretty noise, but it's noise.
__________________

verte76 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×