Mr. George W. Bush may go on to become one of our greatest Presidents of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by melon:
Well, despite the very bumpy introduction you gave, where I questioned whether you were a troll or not, I welcome you as well, the HORROR.

I totally agree with this quote of yours, "Let's focus more on the issue here and not the person...," and I hope you stick true to that. Quite often, just mentioning a polarizing political figure, like Bill Clinton and George Bush, will just cling people to their ideological corners, with very little room to budge. However, when you mention the issues they may stand for, like campaign finance and the "war on terrorism," you may find better and far more fluid responses. You may find that people who are the quintessential "liberal" may actually have some common values, but you'll likely never see that mentioning the people behind them. Does this make any sense?

As for Dubya, it often isn't the fact that we disagree theoretically on everything; it is just that I question whether he is really sincere about it. Hence, I disapprove of him as president.

Melon

Thank you, and if it makes you feel any better you can call me TROLL instead of HORROR, they are both equally magnificant
wink.gif

You make perfect sense this time around, and I will try to remember my own statement and stick to it. After all, it's not going to be very often in here that we agree on anything
smile.gif

As for President Clinton, I have mixed emotions. It's kind of like when you eat an extravagant seven course meal and then have food poisioning the next day. Bill Clinton the person, I would probably kick back and enjoy a few adult beverages and guffaws with 'old Bill'.
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by the HORROR (edited 02-11-2002).]

Originally posted by chain:
This author say?s Bush is a simpleton. He spent quite a bit of time with him. Maybe he knows something?

You know.. This is almost very refreshing to hear.. And though It may seem humorous at the outset of reading this, Deeper down, I think this is going to be a complement to our dear president.. Pop CUlture.. is pure shit.. it's just a large conglomeration of irrelevancy.. This huuge abyss of transparent nothingness..

The book is going to try and paint Bush as a person who is out of touch.. But When you get down to it.. Bush Knows himself.. He knows who he is, and what he believes in, and He knows this Country. In fact, he is completely in Touch with what matters.

It's not a big deal he doesn't know about Mariah Carey.. This is just another attempt at a failed fix of trying to paint him as this inept douche..

This book is more of an insult to those liberals.. as it is proof that they are trying everything to get back into power.. And sadly.. It's not working.. Because it shows just what the Liberals feel is important.. What they are defined by.. That being what is hot at the moment.. And It shows that the republicans have much more substance, believe in things of more worth.. Having true convictions.

People trust him, people believe in him, and He believes in the people.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-11-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
But When you get down to it.. Bush Knows himself.. He knows who he is, and what he believes in, and He knows this Country. In fact, he is completely in Touch with what matters.
do you sleep with him?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
But When you get down to it.. Bush Knows himself.. He knows who he is, and what he believes in, and He knows this Country. In fact, he is completely in Touch with what matters.
do you sleep with him?

No.. I won't even indulge in retorting with a joke.. Because then I'll have all the liberals on my ass yelling about how 'Oh Look at you you resort to the Same kind of Low Humor that We DO'..

but Did you watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony.. Did you see him there in the crowd with that girl athlete?.. He knows this country.. Him just there mingling,.. Talking to an athlete's MOTHER on the phone.. the President of the USA.. He wasn't hiding away up in some press box, like presidents in the past have done..

I wouldn't expect you to understand the bond Americans have with each other.. patriotically speaking.. And the one Bush has with the people..
I also would not expect you to be able to understand the trust that the American people have in him.. This example of him mingling with the crowd at the Opening Ceremony is just an example of how in touch he is with what matters.

L.Unplugged

Well said Lemonite. I don't buy into the theories that his appearances are so "staged", even though all Presidents in recent memory have had major PR people guiding their appearances in at least some way.

When Bush stood next to the fireman at Ground Zero and made that speech into the bullhorn, I don't think that was anything but genuine leadership and compassionate leadership at that.

------------------
"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

Woohoo. Finally, a GOP support group. I stand behind Bubba, Horror (nice literary reference btw), and the rest. Nothing to add at the moment.

but Did you watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony.. Did you see him there in the crowd with that girl athlete?.. He knows this country.. Him just there mingling,.. Talking to an athlete's MOTHER on the phone.. the President of the USA.. He wasn't hiding away up in some press box, like presidents in the past have done..

Geez...watch Leni Riefenstahl's film, "Olympia" (1936), sometime. Hitler was portrayed quite pleasantly as well. Very kind to U.S. black athlete, Jesse Owens, as well, after he defeated everyone, and yet he still maintained that blonde haired, blue-eyed white people were the perfect humans.

And, no, I'm not equating Bush with Hitler. I'm just stating the major flaw in this argument, since I think we can agree that Hitler was evil.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

This book is more of an insult to those liberals.. as it is proof that they are trying everything to get back into power.. And sadly.. It's not working.. Because it shows just what the Liberals feel is important.. What they are defined by.. That being what is hot at the moment.. And It shows that the republicans have much more substance, believe in things of more worth.. Having true convictions.

Can you say "Whitewater"? "Travelgate"? The impeachment hearings? The Starr Report? Don't tell me that Republicans didn't try anything to get back in power, because they surely did. We hadn't had such a hysterical spectacle since the McCarthy era. They were just so pissed when the public still gave Clinton a 70% approval rating at the height of the trial.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by chain:
This author say?s Bush is a simpleton. .

Chain, that section you quoted form the book has absolutely nothing to do woth how good a president Bush is. The author sounds like just a big snooty nosed snob!

Who cares that Bush has nevere heard of Leonardo Dicaprio? Or that he prefers Fritos and Peanut Butter and Jelly to Sushi? I personally think PBnJ is heavenly compared to Sushi.

What the heck kind of point was the author making; that Bush is now being judged by his tastes or how much he knows about hollywood?

That's ridiculous.

And welcome to the forum, Horror!

Can you say "Whitewater"? "Travelgate.

They were just so pissed when the public still gave Clinton a 70% approval rating at the height of the trial.

Melon

I can; "Whitewater" & "Travelgate"
There you go.

The 70% approval rating was for entertainment value only. Not even Hollywood could have came up with a better script for "As the In Terns"

LOL
smile.gif

------------------
"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

Geez...watch Leni Riefenstahl's film, "Olympia" (1936), sometime. Hitler was portrayed quite pleasantly as well. Very kind to U.S. black athlete, Jesse Owens, as well, after he defeated everyone, and yet he still maintained that blonde haired, blue-eyed white people were the perfect humans.

And, no, I'm not equating Bush with Hitler. I'm just stating the major flaw in this argument, since I think we can agree that Hitler was evil.

Melon

My friend... This is not any sort of argument.. It's just an example of him 'being in touch' with the things that matter.. I'm sure we can cite all sorts of other waywardly related things to 'rebuke' a point.. It still doesn't take anything away from the person he is.

L. Unplugged

Can you say "Whitewater"? "Travelgate"? The impeachment hearings? The Starr Report? Don't tell me that Republicans didn't try anything to get back in power, because they surely did. We hadn't had such a hysterical spectacle since the McCarthy era. They were just so pissed when the public still gave Clinton a 70% approval rating at the height of the trial.

Melon

Hahaha.. Seriously though.. Ripping on someone about Mariah Carey?.. Cheez Doodles?.. Sorry Melon, those just don't hold any water..

This has been tried before with Bush.. I think it was by Maureen Dodd?.. Is that right?.. She was trying to paint Bush as some sort of Inept Dunce.. IT didn't work once before, It shows the reckless flinging the Liberals are in at the moment.

I suggest you edit your post.

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by the HORROR:
I don't really believe that the rest of the world dislikes him as much as you would indicate, we seem to have allies all over the place.

You SHOULD believe it; largely due to your president, America certainly has to be one of the least liked countries in the world, and that's NOT me starting an Anti-American thread, its just a fact.

If the September 11th catastrophe didn't show America how unpopular it is with its foreign policy, I don't know what will. And no, its not me saying that 'America had it coming' because I deplore the barbarity of the event with everything that makes me human, and I support the war against Terrorism, but I can NOT stand to hear people blow their own horns and say how America is liked - it isn't.

I'm sorry, it never has been and it never will, not even by it's allies. There is a difference, you will find, between FEAR and FRIENDSHIP.

And also, the HORROR, don't be too sure about having 'allies all over the place'. If you did, there would be nothing stopping Bush from spreading the war onto Somalia, Iraq and all the other nations on 'the axis of evil', the cold hard fact of the matter is that the only allies worth speaking of is Canada (who, for all intensive puproses is seen as the USA's twin by the rest of the world) and BRITAIN, who is basically so politically weak and outright pathetically spineless to say no, and so bends right over for the greatness of America.

Do you really think the rest of Europe gives a pair of fetid dingo kidneys about the war? The French don't give two shits about the War on Terrorism (notice how everybody else is always in on the action, but the French in particular are always on the fence)and the Germans don't have the time of day. The United Nations is a joke, backed up by the fact that AGAIN, nobody in Europe cares about the war on Terrorism. The Middle East? Ha, you might want to look somewhere else for allies. South America? Oh yes, everybody loves USA there. Africa? Asia?

I'm sorry,but you don't have allies everywhere. All you have are two other nations who care, the rest are either too indifferent, or too scared to say anything.
No, I'm not being anti-American, but do you really think this war on terrorism would be an issue if America wasn't so powerful?

Ant.

Originally posted by Anthony:
I'm sorry, it never has been and it never will, not even by it's allies. There is a difference, you will find, between FEAR and FRIENDSHIP.

No, I'm not being anti-American, but do you really think this war on terrorism would be an issue if America wasn't so powerful?

Ant.

No.. Because we'd all be wearing Fez's and speaking URDU.. OR MANDARIN perhaps.

L.Unplugged

You SHOULD believe it; largely due to your president, America certainly has to be one of the least liked countries in the world, and that's NOT me starting an Anti-American thread, its just a fact.

If the September 11th catastrophe didn't show America how unpopular it is with its foreign policy, I don't know what will. And no, its not me saying that 'America had it coming' because I deplore the barbarity of the event with everything that makes me human, and I support the war against Terrorism, but I can NOT stand to hear people blow their own horns and say how America is liked - it isn't.

And also, the HORROR, don't be too sure about having 'allies all over the place'. If you did, there would be nothing stopping Bush from spreading the war onto Somalia, Iraq and all the other nations on 'the axis of evil', the cold hard fact of the matter is that the only allies worth speaking of is Canada (who, for all intensive puproses is seen as the USA's twin by the rest of the world) and BRITAIN, who is basically so politically weak and outright pathetically spineless to say no, and so bends right over for the greatness of America.

Do you really think the rest of Europe gives a pair of fetid dingo kidneys about the war? The French don't give two shits about the War on Terrorism (notice how everybody else is always in on the action, but the French in particular are always on the fence)and the Germans don't have the time of day. The United Nations is a joke, backed up by the fact that AGAIN, nobody in Europe cares about the war on Terrorism. The Middle East? Ha, you might want to look somewhere else for allies. South America? Oh yes, everybody loves USA there. Africa? Asia?

I'm sorry,but you don't have allies everywhere. All you have are two other nations who care, the rest are either too indifferent, or too scared to say anything.

Ant.

I would waste my time replying to this but I really can't right now. Later I will. For now, I will just say this IS crap, and you should know better.

------------------

No.. Because we'd all be wearing Fez's and speaking URDU.. OR MANDARIN perhaps.
L.Unplugged

Lemonite, what a truly cryptic response. You also keep stereotyping the British as being 'yellow-teethed', I assure you that is not only a stereotype that isn't associated with us, but its also wrong even if it were.

Plus, your response doesn't explain anything.

Ant.

Originally posted by the HORROR:
I would waste my time replying to this but I really can't right now. Later I will. For now, I will just say this IS crap, and you should know better.

the HORROR, you shouldn't even waste your time, it doesn't matter what you write. The day you tell me that you've lived in the places I've lived and seen the people I've seen, then I might be able to listen. The fact is (and I'm not saying its something negative) America is very much isolated, which is why the ridiculous stereotype of Americans not knowing anything about World Geography started; you DON'T know how Europeans think you DON'T know how Asians from the Middle East think.

I do. And they don't think the way Americans such as yourself think. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't think of yourself (Americans, that is) as loved by all.

Ant.

Sadly to Say this is your loss.. I remember playing golf in BallyBunion on the old course, and when we were finished we walked around the town, and when we saw the STATUE of Bill CLinton, My father, and brother and I almost puked on the spot.. It was seriously a disgusting moment.. Still not overshadowing the amazing golf we just played however...

Clinton was no hero.

STILL, the people of Ireland and Northern Ireland welcomed Bill Clinton as a hero. I?m not saying that he was a hero, but the welcome he got whas the welcome of one. And the statue wasn?t probably put there cause the Irish thought he had done a marvellous job in the USA, but for the work he did for Northern Ireland.

Some of you might have problems to believe this but Bill Clinton was well-liked over big parts of the world.

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

the HORROR, you shouldn't even waste your time, it doesn't matter what you write. The day you tell me that you've lived in the places I've lived and seen the people I've seen, then I might be able to listen. The fact is (and I'm not saying its something negative) America is very much isolated, which is why the ridiculous stereotype of Americans not knowing anything about World Geography started; you DON'T know how Europeans think you DON'T know how Asians from the Middle East think.

I do. And they don't think the way Americans such as yourself think. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't think of yourself (Americans, that is) as loved by all.

Ant.

First off, DONT tell ME what I know or don't know. The truth is you DONT know me and haven't any idea what my experience is and where my travels have been.

I HAVE spent a great deal of time in VARIOUS other countries besides the U.S.A. And I DO know how some other cultures think, and I can even speak some bits of other languages of places I lived, worked, and generally interacted with the people there.

I never said we are the greatest country in the world, I do however have an appreciation of this GREAT country and our GREAT leadership and thank God I am here safe and sound and not back in some of those places I have "visited".

I fail to see why you must go out of your way to continually bash americans, or at least conservative americans. How would you feel if all of us started crapping on the UK, for instance. It just never seems to happen that way though, most of us americans in here don't even go there.

GROW UP
smile.gif

------------------

Anthony,
I don't know what to say now. Melon respectfully agreed with me on this; "focus on the issue, not the person".

Should we converse anymore, then maybe we should take a look into this as well.

In my last post to you, which I could have edited away, I seemed to have forgotten that but I will leave the post stand for relevance.

No.. I won't even indulge in retorting with a joke.. Because then I'll have all the liberals on my ass yelling about how 'Oh Look at you you resort to the Same kind of Low Humor that We DO'..

but Did you watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony.. Did you see him there in the crowd with that girl athlete?
no, I didn't watch the opening ceremony of the olympics
and frankly I don't feel I missed anything

I only posted that lame "do you sleep with him" remark, because the only person I talk about in the same devote way you chose to talk about Bush is my girlfriend

and I'm still waiting for anyone to respond to Anthony's posts in this thread in a mature way

------------------
Salome

Ant.

This American girl could not agree more.

Hahahah.. Whoa.. I always thought you were a girl.. Eesh... Yes.. Eesh.. That was weird.

L.Unplugged
wow, so you were wrong about one thing this year then

------------------
Salome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom