Move Over Dick Durbin...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
...and make way for Karl Rove.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050623/ap_on_re_us/rove_speech

Rove, Bush's chief political adviser, said in a speech Wednesday that "liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers." Conservatives, he told the New York state Conservative Party just a few miles north of Ground Zero, "saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war."

Rove said the Democratic Party made the mistake of calling for "moderation and restraint" after the terrorist attacks.

Democrats were quick to respond — and in growing numbers.

"Karl Rove should immediately and fully apologize for his remarks or he should resign," Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement. "I hope the president will join me in repudiating these remarks."

Who needs Nazi remarks when you can just call your opponents terrorist sympathizers?

Melon

In the day of being ultra PC, this is about as un-PC as you can get. Stupid comments? Yes. Enough for Rove to resign or Bush to can him? Most likely not. Bush would probably take a bullet for Rove and I would be super surprised if he gave him any more than a light talking to.

interesting what makes the drudgereport
big splash headline??

klansman convicted , not worthy

rove's remarks, ?

bogus picture of Clinton kissing someone from Hillary bashing book, Headline!!

got to keep the Red State voters happy!!

Last edited:
randhail said:
In the day of being ultra PC, this is about as un-PC as you can get. Stupid comments? Yes. Enough for Rove to resign or Bush to can him? Most likely not. Bush would probably take a bullet for Rove and I would be super surprised if he gave him any more than a light talking to.

it is a strategy to appeal to the simple minded

either you are in favor of locking up 9/11 terrorists at GITMO

or

you are a sympathizer for 9/11 terrorists.

of course these are 100 per cent false choices

but it is enough for the simple minded
the ones that put Bush in office

Rove/Cheney/Bush are just shoring up their base

deep said:

it is a strategy to appeal to the simple minded

either you are in favor of locking up 9/11 terrorists at GITMO

or

you are a sympathizer for 9/11 terrorists.

of course these are 100 per cent false choices

Fair points. This is probably the same base that gets fired up listening to Toby Kieth's "We'll Put a Boot in Your Ass" lyrics.

deep said:
big splash headline??

rove's remarks, ?

:lol:

deep said:
big splash headline??

rove's remarks, ?

Roves remarks were the headline at drudge this morning when I got up...FYI.

And I find them irresponsible and they AID the enemy....meaning the democratic party.

Dreadsox said:

Roves remarks were the headline at drudge this morning when I got up...FYI.

And I find them irresponsible and they AID the enemy....meaning the democratic party.

you are up 3 hours before me

when I check this later, i guess it will confirm your statement

so, do you disagree that drudge totally panders to conservatives and distorts?

I thought BinLaden was the enemy.
:huh:

Dreadsox said:

It does aid the enemy, but the enemy is the huge divide in this country. Otherwise we won't need any enemies, we'll just destroy ourselves from within.

I have to say that I don't remember it at all as Rove claims. I remember the nation pulling together after 9/11.

Bush should whop him upside the head, but good.

deep said:

BS

Rove's remarks are not in line with how we think. We remember how it really was.

80sU2isBest said:
I have to say that I don't remember it at all as Rove claims. I remember the nation pulling together after 9/11.

you are right

90% approval rating afterall

look at the votes for Afgan War.

majority of Dems supported

Iraq is not related to 9/11 attack
the President has even said so.

but, they do blur the lines when they can

deep said:
turn on sean hannity radio

and listen to his callers

I understand...you're basing your indictment of Bush's constituents on a few people who call a talk show?

Do you think that most of us don't have memories?

80sU2isBest said:

Bush should whop him upside the head, but good.

Absolutely. On 9/11 we were Americans first, liberals and conservatives second. I vividly remember tuning in to the President's speech. I didn't give a damn which party he was from.

80sU2isBest said:

I understand...you're basing your indictment of Bush's constituents on a few people who call a talk show?

Republican Party Chairman Ken Mehlman, speaking in Puerto Rico, said there was no need to apologize because "what Karl Rove said is true."

Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers. Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war. Conservatives saw what happened to us on 9/11 and said we will defeat our enemies. Liberals saw what happened to us and said we must understand our enemies.
I think that there is an element of truth to that; although the generalisations do not help much, just look at Robert Fisk or John Pilger; they don't just sympathise for the Islamist cause, they cheer for them. The cultural left itself seems to be on that wagon as well. It is unfair to label all liberals with that stroke but when dealing with "liberal" and "conservative" mentality they are each the most extreme parodies; every liberal is a postmodernist nihilistic communist sympathising atheist while every conservative is a bible thumping bigot who wants to turn the US into a bibliotheistic state.

But really if this type of dichotomy of liberal = sympathetic and understanding individual who searches for root causes treating terrorism as a strictly criminal matter while conservative = brash warmongers was used to bash conservatives then it wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
I think that there is an element of truth to that; although the generalisations do not help much, just look at Robert Fisk or John Pilger; they don't just sympathise for the Islamist cause, they cheer for them. The cultural left itself seems to be on that wagon as well. It is unfair to label all liberals with that stroke but when dealing with "liberal" and "conservative" mentality they are each the most extreme parodies; every liberal is a postmodernist nihilistic communist sympathising atheist while every conservative is a bible thumping bigot who wants to turn the US into a bibliotheistic state.

But really if this type of dichotomy of liberal = sympathetic and understanding individual who searches for root causes treating terrorism as a strictly criminal matter while conservative = brash warmongers was used to bash conservatives then it wouldn't be an issue.

This is a big problem. What an over simplification...

It's so hard to think of a comment on this, even though I want to reply.

After 9/11, (and especially on the day) I was crossing my fingers in hope that we would exercise a bit of caution and make certain who the attackers were before jumping all over the (perhaps wrong) suspects. Feelings were running very high after the attacks. When a nation is being driven by emotion, mistakes can happen.

I am glad to say that, despite any anxieties, America's response and actions were appropriate. Right up until a certain jackass (who need not be identified, but his name rhymes with push) got us into a unrelated war with a not-9/11-attacker nation on thouroughly suspicious grounds.

And the liberals were right on one of the points Rove was whining about. We have to understand (and I believe 'understanding of' and not 'understanding for' was what was actually meant; Rove has twisted that) the motives of the attackers and the motives of other terrorists, in order to 1) Identify the greatest threats to our nation, and 2) Attempt to learn from our mistakes and try to piss people off less so that maybe they won't want us all dead....I mean, like, duh.

Besides, I suspect that Rove's comments were in direct response to Durbin's controversial remarks. (This is almost funny: Washington has become the third grade playground. "You're a stupid head!" "No, YOU'RE a stupid head!" "Republicans eat boogers!" "Democrats eat DOG boogers!!" "You're ugly!" "So's your mother!")

I'm tired of these claims that Iraq had something to do with 9/11. Excuse me, it was the Taliban, a force that didn't like Saddam and regularly accused him of being an infidel.

is anyone actually surprised that Karl Rove -- a man who has won campaigns in Texas by spreading rumors that Ann Richards was a lesbian or that other political opponents ... the name esecapes me, but it was detailed in a great Atlantic Monthly article last year ... known for their work with children were actually pedophiles -- would stoop to this level?

i think this actually a good thing, from a political standpoint. it's so outrageous, so false, and such a blatant exploitation of the worst act of terrorism in history, that your average Joe Swing Voter is going to be turned off by an ugly, pasty Mr. Potato Head in a suit tubthumping a bogus political message while the public cools on Iraq and the bodies continue to pile up.

Rove is an evil genius, a brain in a jar. but, hopefully, he's sewing the seeds of destruction for the Republican hegemony he's created on the absolute worst of political tactics.

(no, the Democrats aren't necessarily better people, they're just not as good at sliming people as Rove and Co.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom