more fun with McDonalds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermes

Acrobat
http://kctv5.com/Global/story.asp?S=666928&nav=1Pub7MFY

Hispanic Workers Protest, Get Deported

McDonald's Employees Complained About Work Conditions
OVERLAND PARK, KS -- Hispanic workers at a local McDonald's restaurant complained about work conditions.

Now their lives are turned upside down.

KCTV5's Russell Kinsaul talked with a leader in the Hispanic community who told him that the incident is creating fear in fast food places across the city.

Some Hispanic employees at a McDonald's near College Boulevard and Quivira claimed they were mistreated and staged a protest to make their point in January.

Raul Murguia is director of El Centro's Johnson County Family Center. Some of the workers told him their complaints.

"Harassed, pushed to work over their limits, utilizing language that was not appropriate, 'stupid Mexican' or things of that nature," Murguia says.

Within three weeks, most of the workers who protested, had been deported.

A Hispanic assistant manager who didn't participate in the protest was picked up by the INS and is behind bars right now.

The question is, did McDonald's retaliate against the workers or was the action by the INS a mere coincidence?"

McDonald's denies any retaliation, and in a statement, said that the company is committed to doing what is right and that includes compliance with the law.

Did McDonald's call the INS to punish outspoken employees?

Russell put the question to local INS director Michael Heston, of the INS.

"They did not do that," Heston says.

Heston says INS investigators started checking out fast food restaurants back in November.

"They had nothing do with the issues between McDonald's and its employees," Heston says.

Hispanic leaders like Murguia say the coincidence is creating fear.

"It's sending a message to every worker out there to either take the abuse or else," he says.

McDonald's says it's investigating the allegations of harassment.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

Hopefully they weren't treated badly, as they say they were. But if they came to this country illegaly, then they should return to their country until they can provide proof of proper entry into this country.

However, and I don't necessarily doubt their story, it seems when some "group" is under the gun for something there often comes to light a "conspiracy".

Timing is everything.

Here comes my more conservative elements:

Off topic somewhat, but I think we should crack down on all illegal immigrants. I don't care if they are Mexicans or Canadians or Ph.D. students from who knows where who just chose to stay after their Visa expired. If they are illegal, they need to go. I'm tired of system leeches who don't pay taxes.

If those Mexican workers in McDonalds there were legal, they probably wouldn't have been mistreated as they were, and they would have had more legal recourse. In this case, they have none.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Well my two cents: I think they should have been deported because they were ilegal. Illegals living here are bad for us in a number of ways, but I mainly have a problem with it because it degrades those who enter our country legally.

As far as McDonalds goes, they are a franchise, so I'm sure it wasn't corporate policy to hire illegals and mistreat them. However, since they are a franchise, McDonalds as a corporate structure are responsible in the end. Both for hiring illegals and then mistreating them, if the allegations are true.

Whether or not McDonalds called the INS, I don't really care. I find it interesting that the report wasn't making much of an issue with the fact that McD's was hiring illegals in the first place.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

Originally posted by melon:
Here comes my more conservative elements:

Off topic somewhat, but I think we should crack down on all illegal immigrants. If they are illegal, they need to go. I'm tired of system leeches who don't pay taxes.

Does that mean if we make all illegal immigrants legal, then they will pay taxes, and everyone will be happy?

Well, I would be happy. I'm not opposed to immigration. I just hate those who sneak in. For those who come from poor and oppressive countries, apply for political asylum. As it stands, illegals have no right to be here, nor should they have any right to be here. Why the government doesn't keep more track of those who do come in, along with tightening our international borders, is beyond me. They want to talk about "homeland security"...well, there's a good first step.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

If they're illegal, send them packing. I'm trying to get my fiancee over here from Europe (legally) right now and it's a total pain in the ass. But, I continue to follow the rules of immigration as I think others should.

Why the government doesn't keep more track of those who do come in, along with tightening our international borders, is beyond me. They want to talk about "homeland security"...well, there's a good first step.

------------------
she wore canvas shoes white canvas shoes, around her neck she wore a silver necklace...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Well, I would be happy. I'm not opposed to immigration. I just hate those who sneak in. For those who come from poor and oppressive countries, apply for political asylum. As it stands, illegals have no right to be here, nor should they have any right to be here. Why the government doesn't keep more track of those who do come in, along with tightening our international borders, is beyond me. They want to talk about "homeland security"...well, there's a good first step.

Melon

Ok, I'm an immigrant (legal).

Do you want them to pay more attention to me?

or

Do you want them to pay more attention to the ones they don't even know are entering?
confused.gif

FYI - INS has NOT ONCE, contacted me in 20 months of residence here.
smile.gif
- They may be tracing my SS# for all I know and/or checking my tax, but no direct contact.

------------------
I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it.

Originally posted by wolfwill23:
If they're illegal, send them packing. I'm trying to get my fiancee over here from Europe (legally) right now and it's a total pain in the ass. But, I continue to follow the rules of immigration as I think others should.

Maybe you should blaim the goverment about that.

Melon

You hate people that are looking for a better future, that is sick. The rich country`s are protecting there belongings wich they gained by murder, slavery and milking out poor country`s. Even today at mcDonalds, they are make use off the weak position of illegals to make more money.

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom