Montenegro Weighs Independence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I should add, that independence for Montenegro makes Serbia a new country as well.:wink:

Now that Serbia is landlocked country, I guess this means Montenegro inherits the entire Navy.:wink:

Last edited:
No doubt, the balkanization of the Balkans will continue.

I thought the 20th Century ended on September 11th, but it looks like some parts of the world are still living through it.

4U2Play said:
No doubt, the balkanization of the Balkans will continue.

I thought the 20th Century ended on September 11th, but it looks like some parts of the world are still living through it.

But this recent change happened without any bloodshed, which is different from what often happened in the 20th century.

STING2 said:
But this recent change happened without any bloodshed, which is different from what often happened in the 20th century.

Excellent point, let us all thank providence for that!

roy keane said:
STING, once Albanians get part of the territory in Macedonia,they will have borders with Greece.

Roy Keane,

Will the Greeks then feel surrounded by their "Muslim enemies"?

If so, what do you think Greece will do to prevent such a condition from arising?

roy keane said:
STING, once Albanians get part of the territory in Macedonia,they will have borders with Greece.

Albanians in Kosovo will be lucky if they get an independent state. They are unlikely to be getting any part of Macedonia and NATO will see that they don't. Albanians in Kosovo would have to agree to the borders of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia prior to getting any sort of independence.

Greece is in NATO and therefore they are in much stronger position then other countries.In my oppinion, Albanians will get Kosovo for sure,part of Macedonia very likely,but with Greece it will be to hard for them,although they will try.At the moment Greeks are more concerned not to let Macedonia to be called Macedonia but Former yougoslav republic Macedonia, because they are historicaly strongly conected with that name(and part of northern Greece is called Macedonia). Sounds a bit confusing,but that's how it is.
But no matter what happens, I hope there will be no more wars in any part of Balcan.

roy keane said:
Greece is in NATO and therefore they are in much stronger position then other countries.In my oppinion, Albanians will get Kosovo for sure,part of Macedonia very likely,but with Greece it will be to hard for them,although they will try.At the moment Greeks are more concerned not to let Macedonia to be called Macedonia but Former yougoslav republic Macedonia, because they are historicaly strongly conected with that name(and part of northern Greece is called Macedonia). Sounds a bit confusing,but that's how it is.
But no matter what happens, I hope there will be no more wars in any part of Balcan.

I recognize Albanians in Macedonia are not happy with their situation there and feel discriminated against. But even they claim they have no desire to secede from Macedonia. The Albanians are to weak from a military standpoint to enforce any sort of a land grab on their own. NATO deployed troops to Macedonia back in 1992 when Bush Sr. was President. NATO has no desire to see Macedonia break up and generally would prefer that Kosovo remain apart of Serbia. Albanians are only 23% of Macedonia, but they are 91% of Kosovo. Nearly half of Macedonia would have to secede for Kosovo to have a border with Greece.

I think the disputes will be resolved peacefully, and the only new division I can see would be an independent Kosovo, and even that might not happen.

STING2 said:

I recognize Albanians in Macedonia are not happy with their situation there and feel discriminated against. But even they claim they have no desire to secede from Macedonia. The Albanians are to weak from a military standpoint to enforce any sort of a land grab on their own. NATO deployed troops to Macedonia back in 1992 when Bush Sr. was President. NATO has no desire to see Macedonia break up and generally would prefer that Kosovo remain apart of Serbia. Albanians are only 23% of Macedonia, but they are 91% of Kosovo. Nearly half of Macedonia would have to secede for Kosovo to have a border with Greece.

I think the disputes will be resolved peacefully, and the only new division I can see would be an independent Kosovo, and even that might not happen.

I think you are wrong about certain things.First, Albanians in Macedonia have(had) liberation army(which is belived to be disarmed now) and whos ambition was about 40 % of territory.Remember a short civil war in Macedonia cople of years ago that could have grown into something much bigger.And i would tell you that you are wrong about 23% of Albanian population in Macedonia but i often visit peeling off those dollar bils forum and i know you are king for numbers

roy keane said:

I think you are wrong about certain things.First, Albanians in Macedonia have(had) liberation army(which is belived to be disarmed now) and whos ambition was about 40 % of territory.Remember a short civil war in Macedonia cople of years ago that could have grown into something much bigger.And i would tell you that you are wrong about 23% of Albanian population in Macedonia but i often visit peeling off those dollar bils forum and i know you are king for numbers

The Albanians in Macedonia claim the liberation army is about securing their rights within the state of Macedonia, not about secession. Perhaps that is not entirely true, but that is what they have claimed. They claim they are 40% of the population, but I think most objective demographic analysis of Macedonia shows that they are only 23%. In any event, the Albanians want their language to be an official language as well. They feel discriminated when it comes to finding jobs and getting an education. General economic improvement in the coming years and decades will probably help to wipe these sources of tension away, just as it has done in Northern Ireland.

This is indeed an interesting question, and also points out why there are many in NATO who are totally against Kosovo gaining independence because they fear it would create a new or resurgent movement in bording area's to join Kosovo or Albania in a new union.

Yippei! a new state!

The Montenegrians decided for it.

Lets hope they have a good start.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom