"Mom Did You Die?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/13/haiti.lawsuit.ap/index.html

"But the real horror began with a knock at her door on April 19, 1994. Five men entered, accosted her and took turns raping her in front of her three small children.

"I kept screaming, 'Why me? Why me?"' she recalled.

Three months later, the soldiers returned, again raping her and severely beating her 8-year-old son"

Despite a 1995 deportation order, Constant has been allowed to remain in the United States because Haiti's judicial system has never stabilized enough to ensure he would be treated fairly, said State Department spokesman Steve Pike.

"We'll continue to evaluate his status to determine when his removal to Haiti would be prudent," Pike said."

Luckily, we are still able to feel angry and shocked by these events.
I am scared by the idea that someone will just think "oh, this thing can happen" or something like that...

We must keep our humanity, someway, and, even if noone can told us how to react/think/feel about an event, I hope we will always be able to say: I can't accept it.

This is the same as the guy (can't remember his name this minute and don't hav time to look at work). That was responsible for the airline crash and we won't extradite him.

Haitian writer Edwidge Danticat wrote an incredible book called The Dew Breaker based on true stories just like this one. In it, the main character is the daughter of a former Haitian military torturer (who would arrive in the early mornings to torture his victims, hence the title). They are now living in Brooklyn and while the father appears to be a wonderful family man, the daughter is just beginning to piece together his true identity and horrible past, and is coming to terms with her love for her father whom she has only known as loving vs. the evil she begins to uncover. I recommend it.

MrsSpringsteen said:

what airline crash?

It was an airline crash on the way to Cuba from Venezuela, filled with med students. I'll look for the articles when I get home. It's not the same issue except for the refusal to extradite.

I feel for the woman and all those in dafur undergoing the same type of terrorism.:sad:

lady luck said:
Luckily, we are still able to feel angry and shocked by these events.
I am scared by the idea that someone will just think "oh, this thing can happen" or something like that...

We must keep our humanity, someway, and, even if noone can told us how to react/think/feel about an event, I hope we will always be able to say: I can't accept it.

:up:. Agree wholeheartedly with you.

What a story...good effin' lord...

I can (almost) understand how people can go into armies and kill for whatever cause. But I just can't wrap my head around the rampant rapes by soldiers (worldwide)...I don't understand how people can do that. It's not any strategic battle or operation, they just rape girls in front of their families and leave. It's some kind of twisted control issue, absolute power corrupts absolutely I guess...:huh:

I've been to a meeting with a doctor some times ago. She explained as rape was used during conflicts as a weapon, especially to humiliate the men of the community attacked -- because they can't do anything for protect their women.

There's no justification, no reason... it's just a way to punish the ennemy.

It's not because of sex -- some soldiers do that just because they think they have.

I always wonder what if these people could hear talking about Human Rights and Respect...

Back
Top Bottom