MLK Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]"We could also restore Dr. King's role in the continuing story of freedom to its rightful prominence, emphasizing that the best way to safeguard democracy is to practice it. And we must recognize that the accepted tradeoff between freedom and security is misguided, because our values are the essence of our strength. If dungeons, brute force and arbitrary rule were the keys to real power, Saudi Arabia would be a model for the future instead of the past." - Taylor Branch

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/16/opinion/16branch.html?pagewanted=all

[/q]

that's an excellent article

Gunfire took Dr. King's life, but we determine his legacy. This holiday, let that inspiration remain our patriotic challenge.

I love that quote, and it truly is patriotic isn't it?

I am hopefully going to Memphis in the spring, I can't wait to go to the museum and to see where he died-as morbid as that sounds.

Mayor demands action in King's memory

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- The mayor of Atlanta called Monday for "bold, audacious" action to make sure society really heeds the message of the Rev. Martin Luther King, and urged listeners gathered to mark his holiday not to forget the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

"It is our time to step up to the plate as we have done in the past to lead this country and world by example," Mayor Shirley Franklin said at the King Day service at Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King preached from 1960 until his death in 1968.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the federal holiday, first held on January 20, 1986. Sunday would have been King's 77th birthday.

Franklin asked listeners to "comprehend the full message of Dr. King" -- by helping the young, the old and the poor and demanding more federal funding for Hurricane Katrina victims.

"Employ a homeless man or woman," she said. "Sponsor a homeless family. Give a convicted felon who has served his time another chance."

"This, Atlanta, is a time for rigorous and vigorous positive action ... bold, audacious, courageous, persistent" action, she said.

Absent from the service was King's widow, Coretta Scott King, who suffered a stroke and heart attack last August. She had received a standing ovation Saturday night when she when she appeared on stage with her children at an awards dinner, but she did not speak.

Americans marked the holiday across the country with services and volunteer projects to aid communities.

In Columbia, South Carolina, hundreds of people crowded into Zion Baptist Church to kick off a march to the Statehouse for the annual King Day rally.

"Martin Luther King had a dream. Some 38 years later, how much progress have we really made toward living that dream?" the Rev. Charles Jackson told the crowd.

In Philadelphia, organizers of the Martin Luther King Day of Service were expecting thousands of volunteers to help with 600 projects in the area.

Among them: the building of a house that will be trucked to Lafayette, Louisiana, for a family left homeless by Katrina and construction of a two-story playground house. Volunteers also were working to provide meals to people living with HIV and AIDS.

Sleep, sleep tonight
And may your dreams be realised
If the thunder cloud passes rain
So let it rain, rain down on he
So let it be
So let it be
Sleep, sleep tonight
And may your dreams be realised
If the thunder cloud passes rain
So let it rain, let it rain
Rain down on he

One of the greates person to ever grace this world. God Bless You Dr. King For you dream is working but still has a ways to go.

:rockon: :bow: Dr.King

I live in Tennessee now. I am not from Tennessee.

They were reporting on the news last night that there is a local county that will be observing Martin Luther King Jr day for the first time this year.

A client called in today and offered us his opinion that he was glad we were not "taking black day off." <excuse the bigotry - it was not mine>

OH MY GOD!!! :ohmy: We have a long way to go.:sad:

Man. I would like to hear him say that over hear in Richmond, CA. What an ass he needs to learn, that we all bleed the same, breath the same air, have the same bone structures, same emotions.

The perils of unchecked power

A former attorney general remembers the bugging of Martin Luther King Jr.

By Nicholas deB. Katzenbach

January 16, 2006

THE RECENT controversy over warrantless national security telephone taps, coupled with Martin Luther King's birthday, remind me of my time in the Department of Justice in the 1960s. It was a period of turbulent demonstrations, marches and sit-ins, many of them led by King in support of the constitutional rights denied by Southern law enforcement to black citizens. And it was a time of growing animosity between King and J. Edgar Hoover, who had created the Federal Bureau of Investigation and led it since 1924. That animosity created a growing problem for Atty. Gen. Robert Kennedy and those of us on his staff.

Hoover had built a great institution in the FBI, essentially from nothing. In the public eye it stood for fair and decent law enforcement — the rule of law — and was a model of integrity and efficiency. Hoover was a national hero, responsible for putting killers like John Dillinger behind bars. Kids wore Junior G-Man badges. During World War II, he fought Nazi spies, and during the Cold War he went after members of the communist conspiracy.

But Hoover was getting old. He believed the world was questioning and rejecting the values he held out as fundamental — patriotism, respect for law and order, sexual mores grounded in marriage and family, the work ethic. He detested what he saw as a growing culture of permissiveness, and, as a conservative Southerner, he seriously questioned the idea of racial equality.

Hoover was troubled by the activities of King. He did not approve of the constant sit-ins and demonstrations that he saw more as breaking laws than as a protest against their unfairness. The FBI worked regularly with local law enforcement, and he wished to preserve that relationship.

What bothered him even more, however, was the frequent public criticism by King and his followers of the FBI for not protecting demonstrators from local sheriff's deputies. One did not have to be long in the Justice Department to learn that to criticize the FBI was an inexcusable sin in Hoover's eyes.

In October 1963, Hoover requested Atty. Gen. Kennedy to approve a wiretap on King's telephone. At that time, taps had to be approved by the attorney general and did not require court approval in the form of a warrant. The basis for the tap was King's close association with Stanley Levison, who Hoover said was a prominent member of the Communist Party with great influence over King in civil rights matters.

Bobby was furious. Hoover's charge that King was a pawn of the communists could potentially taint the whole movement and bring into question everything we were doing to vindicate the constitutional rights of black citizens. It was hard to think of an issue more explosive.

To understand just how explosive, one has to remember that Hoover was both popular and enormously powerful, with great support in Congress. Some of that support was based on admiration, some on fear that he had damaging personal information in his files. Much support came from conservative Southern Democrats, opposed to King, who chaired virtually every important congressional committee. Hoover was formally a subordinate of the attorney general who could, technically, fire and replace him. That's a big "technically." No attorney general, including RFK and myself when I succeeded him, could fully exercise control over him. And none did.

When Hoover asked for the wiretaps, Bobby consulted me (I was then his deputy) and Burke Marshall, head of the Civil Rights Division. Both of us agreed to the tap because we believed a refusal would lend credence to the allegation of communist influence, while permitting the tap, we hoped, would demonstrate the contrary. I think the decision was the right one, under the circumstances. But that doesn't mean that the tap was right. King was suspected of no crime, but the government invaded his privacy until I removed the tap two years later when I became attorney general. It also invaded the privacy of every person he talked to on that phone, not just Levinson.

But what we didn't know during this period was that Hoover was doing a lot more than tapping King's phones. As King's criticism of the FBI continued, and as Hoover became more and more convinced there must be communist influence even though no evidence ever materialized, he determined to discredit and destroy King. He went further, putting bugs in King's hotel bedrooms across the country. (He claimed that Atty. Gen. Herbert Brownell had authorized him to use such listening devices in cases involving "national security" back in the 1950s, and that he did not require further permission from the current attorney general, who in any case had no idea that the FBI was doing it.)

The FBI recorded tapes of King conducting extramarital affairs — and later had the tapes mailed to King anonymously, in one case actually encouraging him to commit suicide. Tapes were played for journalists, and the FBI sought to discredit King with foreign leaders, religious leaders, White House personnel and members of Congress. The bureau tried to kill a favorable magazine profile and encouraged one university to withhold an honorary degree.

I knew none of this until late 1964, when two prominent journalists told me that a bureau official had approached them and offered to play one of the salacious hotel bedroom recordings. I confronted the official — one of Hoover's senior deputies — who categorically denied the allegation. I flew to President Johnson's Texas ranch and asked him to help put a stop to it. I think that he did, but such was Hoover's power I cannot be sure that even the president had the courage to do so.

It was only years later, at the Church Committee hearings held after Hoover's death, that the full scope of Hoover's anti-King activities became known. I was — and am — appalled. And sad. This man who was a national symbol of law and order ended up grossly violating the nation's trust and respect in the name, he said, of national security. And the man he attacked so viciously was a great leader who never violated the law and who helped this nation realize rights guaranteed by the very Constitution Hoover was sworn to uphold.

All this is ancient history, but it has relevancy today. There is a growing movement to remove Hoover's name from the FBI building in Washington, D.C.. I do not think that is the lesson to be learned. Hoover built the FBI and served for almost 50 years as its leader. His positive achievements should endure and be recognized. He served with distinction, but he served too long. Perhaps because of age accompanied by virtually unchecked power, he lost any sense of proportion in law enforcement, using his authority in what he thought was a righteous cause. To my mind, that is the lesson to be learned from Hoover's vendetta.

Today we are again engaged in a debate over wiretapping for reasons of national security — the same kind of justification Hoover offered when he wanted to spy on King. The problem, then as now, is not the invasion of privacy, although that can be a difficulty. But it fades in significance to the claim of unfettered authority in the name of "national security." There may be good and sufficient reasons for invasions of privacy. But those reasons cannot and should not be kept secret by those charged with enforcing the law. No one should have such power, and in our constitutional system of checks and balances, no one legitimately does.

Forcing the executive to explain its reasons for intrusive law enforcement is essential to maintaining not just privacy but freedom itself. A congressional committee must exercise oversight. So too must an independent court because Congress is also subject to possible political pressure.

Our freedom is too precious, and too much blood has been shed to preserve it, to entrust it to a single person, however sincere and however well intentioned.

NICHOLAS DEB. KATZENBACH served in senior Justice Department positions between 1961 and 1965. He was appointed attorney general by President Johnson in February 1965 and served until October 1966.

YellowKite said:
I live in Tennessee now. I am not from Tennessee.

They were reporting on the news last night that there is a local county that will be observing Martin Luther King Jr day for the first time this year.

A client called in today and offered us his opinion that he was glad we were not "taking black day off." <excuse the bigotry - it was not mine>

OH MY GOD!!! :ohmy: We have a long way to go.:sad:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember when the holiday was first observed and so many of the people I worked with ("good Christians" all -- how do I know that? because they often told me I was going to hell if I didn't believe as they did. :rolleyes: ) were furious about it.

"We don't have any 'white' days," was a comment often spewed. My response was generally "Oh fuck! Every day's a white day." I haven't worked at a "real" job in eight years now, so I get spared the stupid co-workers, but every once in a while I still hear that comment. Stupid people. :madspit:

MLK was a flawed man who had a vision of a better world and worked to start turning that vision into reality. I think he is a very inspiring example to everyone. You don't have to be perfect to be able to work toward good.

King was born on January 15, 1929, at 501 Auburn Ave., on the second floor of the Queen Anne-style house owned by his grandfather A.D. Williams. Down the street, Williams -- and later King's father, Martin Luther King Sr., and King himself -- pastored at Ebenezer Baptist Church. The Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site was created on October 10, 1980, when President Jimmy Carter signed an act of Congress. The site was created to preserve and interpret the places where Dr. King was born, grew up and is buried.

02.birthplace.jpg

I would also like to post some of my favorite Martin Luther King quotes.
It amazes me how all of the problems he struggled so hard for back then are still reamin to this day. There has been some changes and it is not as bad as it used to be. We have a long way to go before we truly acomplish Dr. Kings dream.

Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and
violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge,
aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Nobel Prize acceptance speech, Stockholm, Sweden, December 11, 1964.

Man was born into barbarism when killing his fellow man was a normal condition of existence. He became endowed with a
conscience. And he has now reached the day when violence toward another human being must become as abhorrent as eating
another's flesh.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Why We Can't Wait, 1963.

The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of
civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant
animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967.

Back
Top Bottom