Mitt Romney - Are We Wiretapping Mosques?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
frightening..

if you can't read the article maybe fizz will give me permission to post it, or I'll try to find it elsewhere

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/09/15/wiretap_mosques_romney_suggests?mode=PF

WASHINGTON -- Governor Mitt Romney raised the prospect of wiretapping mosques and conducting surveillance of foreign students in Massachusetts, as he issued a broad call yesterday for the federal government to devote far more money and attention to domestic intelligence gathering.

In remarks that caused alarm among civil libertarians and advocates for immigrants rights, Romney said in a speech to the Heritage Foundation that the United States needs to radically rethink how it guards itself against terrorism.

''How many individuals are coming to our state and going to those institutions who have come from terrorist-sponsored states?" he said, referring to foreign students who attend universities in Massachusetts. ''Do we know where they are? Are we tracking them?"

''How about people who are in settings -- mosques, for instance -- that may be teaching doctrines of hate and terror," Romney continued. ''Are we monitoring that? Are we wiretapping? Are we following what's going on?"

MrsSpringsteen said:
if you can't read the article maybe fizz will give me permission to post it, or I'll try to find it elsewhere

I could read the article just fine, Mrs S but you're welcome to post it if anyone else has problems accessing it. And you don't have to ask my permission to post a newspaper article - the policy about not posting long newspaper articles is more of a guideline than a set in stone policy -- if you've got a good reason to post the whole article (ie the site requires registration or payment to view its content) then you're welcome to. The policy is only intended to avoid having entire threads composed of very little but articles copied and pasted from newspaper websites. Hope that explains it a bit more clearly. :)

*Fizz.

Well, this raises a number of interesting questions. Given that the government has the power to place wiretaps upon meeting certain criteria, how do we apply it in this case?

The danger is a general loosening of the criteria for granting wiretaps for a specific purpose.

Back
Top Bottom