Milosevic may be acquitted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not exactly scot-free...

Where does that leave the prosecution case? There is little doubt that the mountain of evidence - from witnesses and from police and army archives in Belgrade - should be enough to put the former Serb behind bars for a long time. He will almost certainly be convicted of crimes against humanity. He may even be found guilty of "complicity to commit genocide", for which it is not necessary to prove intent: proven working knowingly with others of genocidal intent would be sufficient. But the main charge of genocide looks shakier.

but still...

So why even have a trial, if the idea is that he's automatically guilty?

I have no love for the guy, and he's certainly guilty, so why didn't someone just take him outside and shoot him in the head, rather than go through a puppet trial? To make everyone feel good?

Think about it...

Melon

You're right, melon. The fact of the matter is that I was dumbfounded when I saw the headline in the e-mail that someone sent this to me in..........yes, you assume that someone is innocent until proven guilty, but the idea of Slobodan Milosevic going free gives me the creeps.

Milosevic is a creep.

But as somebody who lived through that and knows people who died, I can tell you there are other people I would rather see pursued.

Karadzic and Mladic, why are they allowed to sit in a Belgrade cafe and go to soccer games on Sunday? These thugs were out there, present during the massacres while Milosevic sat in his office. I absolutely believe Milosevic is guilty and is complicit, but he is also an example, out in court so we can all pat our backs and feel good and warm inside.

Some of us don't.

I see what you mean anitram. Damn. I too am totally disgusted that Karadzic and Mladic are watching soccer matches in Belgrade cafes. There are other :censored:'s out there who should at least be behind bars. *All* of these killers should be brought to justice. God knows how many Bosnians and Kosovars they killed in cold blood. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

melon said:
So why even have a trial, if the idea is that he's automatically guilty?

I have no love for the guy, and he's certainly guilty, so why didn't someone just take him outside and shoot him in the head, rather than go through a puppet trial? To make everyone feel good?

Think about it...

Melon

i think because there may be a lot of UN members hidden behind milosevic, he would be not the only one to drown

There are people behind Milosevic. Some of these people are from the U.S, and some of them are indeed probably in the U.N. I don't understand this. But then other scums have had support as well.

Yugoslavia was an artificially created state by the west to act as a puppet buffer between the hardline Soviet bloc and Western Europe. The people of YU knew they couldn't live together, as they tried previously, but then the west came in, carved individual republics, and created artificial borders which did not make sense given ethnic compositions and historical settlements. Once Communism collapsed, the money that the US and the West were funnelling into the YU stopped because they no longer needed the YU. Economy started collapsing, and the richer, more Westernized republics saw that they no longer wanted to carry the burden of the underdeveloped East. Serbia and Milosevic were the biggest beast in the jungle. For example, something like 90% of all tourism (ie. Western currency) monies came out of Croatia, yet 90% of it was funnelled into Belgrade for about 5 decades.

The West had a huge hand in creating a country composed of 7 main nationalities (Slovene, Croatian, Bosnian Muslim, Kosovar, Macedonian, Serbian, Montenegrin), and 3 major religions. They share some of the responsibility for what happened. But this is the way of the colonial West to impose their will on small groups of people as it suits them, and then drop them like hot cakes once they have expired their usefulness.

This is how Milosevic has friends in the UN. The UN needed him in a way, and they also had a long history with the various dictators of the Balkans (Tito, Milosevic, Tudjman, Izetbegovic). My father is Croat, my mother is German-Italian, and they left because my father was an apolitical man and did not believe in fighting or dying in a war. He left because he was a pacifist man, and for that I have great respect for him. My father has no blood on his hands, but if he went back there, he would be considered a coward. You tell me if that is rational, logical thinking. My grandfather always said, 'anything is better than war.' Too bad people don't see this until their families start perishing.

anitram said:
[ My father has no blood on his hands, but if he went back there, he would be considered a coward.

this is very tough to accept, anitram, you're saying a bitter truth, but probably only stupid war people would insult your father in this way. everyone knows what irreparable destructions a war brings, and it remains in your mind like a scorching scar for the rest of your life. people in former yugoslavia have had enough of all those abuses of power, too much people died undeserved, and all the ones who have lost their loved ones would never define your father as a coward, but rather as a very wise man

Back
Top Bottom