Military Recruiters Accused Of Sexual Abuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
It's bad enough that women are subjected to sexual abuse and harassment when they're already in the military, but now this :(

Of course there are many good men in the military and in recruitment who treat women in the proper way, but what the hell is going on with some of these men? Who do they think they are? Are they already like that, or is there some sort of prevailing mentality in the military that makes them believe that this behavior is acceptable?

By Martha Mendoza, Associated Press | August 20, 2006

NEW YORK -- More than 100 young women who expressed interest in joining the military in the past year were preyed upon sexually by their recruiters. Women were raped on recruiting office couches, assaulted in government cars, and groped en route to entrance exams.

A six-month Associated Press investigation found that more than 80 military recruiters were disciplined last year for sexual misconduct with potential enlistees. The cases occurred across all branches of the military and in all regions of the country.

``This should never be allowed to happen," said one 18-year-old victim. ``The recruiter had all the power. He had the uniform. He had my future. I trusted him."

At least 35 Army recruiters, 18 Marine Corps recruiters, 18 Navy recruiters, and 12 Air Force recruiters were disciplined for sexual misconduct or other inappropriate behavior with potential enlistees in 2005, according to records obtained under dozens of Freedom of Information Act requests. That's significantly more than the handful of cases disclosed in the past decade.

The investigation also found that:

The Army, which accounts for almost half of the military, has had 722 recruiters accused of rape and sexual misconduct since 1996.

Across all services, 1 out of 200 frontline recruiters -- the ones who deal directly with young people -- was disciplined for sexual misconduct last year.

Some cases of improper behavior involved romantic relationships, and sometimes those relationships were initiated by the women.

Most recruiters found guilty of sexual misconduct are disciplined administratively, facing a reduction in rank or forfeiture of pay; military and civilian prosecutions are rare.

The increase in sexual misconduct is consistent with overall recruiter wrongdoing, which has increased from just over 400 cases in 2004 to 630 in 2005, according to a General Accounting Office report released last week.

Sadly, this is nothing new. I had two friends who were pressured to do a threesome with a recruiter. They were promised all kinds of things by the recruiter.

The system is broken

does the victim become the victimizer?

abu-ghraib.jpg

deep said:
The system is broken

does the victim become the victimizer?

abu-ghraib.jpg
The system is broken, to some extent I agree. But the Abu Ghraib reference should specify its extremity, NOT what is typical.

Macfistowannabe said:
The system is broken, to some extent I agree. But the Abu Ghraib reference should specify its extremity, NOT what is typical.

They say all abusers were once abused

I just wonder what happened to Lindsey before she became an abuser.
and at who's hands.

I think if you expect that the military and others, like the police service etc, are going to be any different to the rest of society, then that's where you are going to find your hopes shattered. These organisations dont filter out all the scum. They just dont. They're representative of society. The bad ones really stand out out here, too. We only react like this because we expect much more. And we should. But we cant. They're just like us ordinary folk - vast majority are good people, but the odd one gets through and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom