Michael Moore's State of The Union (Nov. 27th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
If only more people were aware of Michael Moore there might be some hope and cause for optimism.

This may be the last time I ever mention his name on Interference. Due to the new membership policy I could very possibly never post after Sunday.

Be sure to check out the link at the bottom of the letter!

November 27, 2002

Dear Friends,

It is Thanksgiving 2002 and it would seem that there is little to give thanks for this year. W. has scored an unbelievable hat trick and is now the first Republican since Eisenhower to control the House, the Senate and the White House. There is no getting around just how damned demoralizing and depressing this is. I wish there was a way to put a better face on what
has transpired, but my well of optimism is just about dry. Bush has his "mandate" for war, his "mandate" for global frying, his "mandate" to turn our government into his own private corporation.

Except...

Only about 20% of the American people showed up three weeks ago to vote for a Republican. That's it. Just 20%. And about 19% voted for a Democrat (an amazing number considering how few fights the Democrats put up around the country).

And 61% said, "To hell with all of them!" and refused to show up and vote.

I am not surprised this happened. My greatest fear after the 2000 election was that the majority of Americans would just give up and say, "Why bother?" If there was one message to the average American from Bush's theft of the White House, it was this: "Not only doesn't your vote count, but even if you do vote, we're not going to count it!" I fear millions earlier this month saw the futility of exercising their right to govern when those who did the governing decided that the will of the people could be disposed of as easily as a drunk driving citation on a Kennebunkport back road.

Even worse, African Americans, whose right to vote was the most egregiously violated (and who usually are the first to stand and fight injustice), seem to have given up. Betrayed, forgotten and taken for granted by the Democrats, black voters saw no reason to revolt in 2000-and little reason to show up in 2002. They got the message loud and clear: "This is White America-we call the shots, we run this place, so shut the f*** up and stay home. The polls have closed for you."

Of course, those in charge are thrilled that 61% of the country has given up. That's right where they want us-out of the way! And it is for that reason alone why we must not now throw in the towel. If we sink into a collective state of despair, disgust and disinterest, we are truly doomed. Bush & Company (and this includes the Democrats) are all-too-happy to be left alone to run amok in the candy store. And, in the end, here is what we'll be left with: billions of impoverished people around the world hoping
for a chance to kill you and me someday!

Ok, so what do we do? Perhaps the silver lining in all this is that Bush will actually think he has a "mandate" and pull such a big, stinking whopper that his re-installation in 2004 will be rendered impossible. Or perhaps some prosecutor somewhere will have the guts to indict him for the insider trading he conducted while on the board of Harken Oil. Who knows. A lot can happen in 23 months.

In the meantime, you, me, all of us, have to get together and come up with a plan that gets this country back in our hands. I have a few ideas. I'll bet you do, too. Why don't we have an online brainstorming session from now through the holidays? I'll set up a thread on my forum at http://www.michaelmoore.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=30 for you to post your comments and to generate a discussion about what we do for 2004.

Or, if you want to send me your thoughts directly, email me at
2004@michaelmoore.com. I've just learned the site is getting over 2 million hits a day. Right now, 2,000,000 heads certainly feel better than one.

Pass the turkey.

Yours,
Michael Moore
Mike@michaelmoore.com
http://www.michaelmoore.com
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com

P.S. Thanks to all of you who continue to pack the theatres for "Bowling for Columbine." It has now broken the all-time box office record for a documentary in America. I am not only grateful for this, but I am thrilled that it has ignited a national discussion about guns, violence, the NRA, racism, why the Canadians don't lock their doors, and the insane preparation for an expanded war in Iraq. I am now getting reports of people around the country trying to get stores in their towns to ban the sale of bullets. The NRA candidates lost the race for Governor in Michigan,
Pennsylvania and Illinois (three hunting states). The film continues to set box office records in the UK, France and elsewhere. And, next week, "Stupid White Men" begins its 10th month on the best-seller list. Thank you all so much. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

thanks for posting this here, i really enjoyed reading it. I love that little postscript at the end about NRA candidates losing in "hunting" states, because I live in one...PA.

The Monday after thanksgiving here in Pittsburgh is like a serious holiday, because it's when deer season begins. Hardly any kids are in school and tons of people don't go to work...men AND women.

It's disgusting. And now some college students are allowed to keep their hunting rifles on campus. It's ridiculous! How is a college student living in a dorm going to butcher a deer they've just killed? They sure don't have deep freezers in dorm rooms! So that means the killing is going to be bloody and useless.

anyway, i am against guns....and republicans....and reading posts like this is heartening. thanks dano....

I was gonna post this, but I lost the email before I had the chance, thanks for doing it.

In the town I grew up in, hunting was very important too, and the week before opening day kids would be in the parking lot of the high schools showing off their guns, always freaked me the fuck out.

Michael Moore is a liberal propaganda promoting prick who doesn't let little things like truth get in the way of his hate-spewing agenda. I want to cut off his balls and feed them to Rush Limbaugh.

Last edited:
elizabeth said:

anyway, i am against guns....and republicans....and reading posts like this is heartening. thanks dano....

I am for guns......
I am for republicans.....
And reading posts like this make me smile.

In the words of Elmo Fudd.....

"Kill the Wabbit"

Peace

Dreadsox said:

In the words of Elmo Fudd.....

sorry...i should've put this in my other post.

I think it was ELMER .

that's it.

Bugs_Fud.jpg

elizabeth said:

but I LIKED
and why did you sign "Peace?"

Why wouldn't I?
It is a noble cause is it not?
It is a prayer....
It is a dream....
It is what I wish for my children....and the children of the world...

Robert Kennedy wrote a book called "To Seek a Newer World" in 1968. Somewhere in that book, he quotes a poet who says something along the lines of "It's not too late to seek a newer world." The book is an excellent read.

Just because I am a Republican who believes in the right to own a firearm does not mean I believe peace on earth is not possible.

This has the makings of a nice debate I think...hehe Too bad I will not be around to continue it.

Peace (to ALL)

Moore does seem to really generalize and assume a lot though doesn't he? He bassically says that there was low voter turnout because democrats stayed home. Why did they stay home? Because they feel that their vote doesn't count..... I have yet to see a survey, a poll or even a news story on the fact (according to Moore) that democrats didn't vote because they feel it doesn't matter.
Could it be that the majority of americans are supportive of Bush? NO! That would be impossible! There must be a conspiracy here somewhere.

Why are people supportive of Bush? I am not a republican or an american, but it is obvious.... People are impressed with the way he has handled the post 9/11 interests of the US. Afghanistan went very well, and we now have weapons inspectors back in Iraq. Clinton couldn't take care of either of those two headaches (he tried in '98 to destroy the afghanistan el quada/bin laden camps and to force Iraq to allow inspectors back as dictated by the UN - both attempts failed) and I think people remember that stuff. Yes there has been the Enron/investment scandals, but people are smart enough to know that you can't blame politics directly for that. There will always be greedy people trying to rip off others.

Moore is very articulate (and his movies are interesting) but his bias always taints his work. He exposes something than goes ahead and provides his own theories and numbers and solutions for the issue. In this case I think he is wrong. Just my $ .02

yes moore is manipulative, because he constantly says things without citing sources, dates, or other important facts to his case.

kind of like i am doing now, by saying he "constantly" does something without even giving an example.

nonetheless, its still a good article.

the olive said:
Could it be that the majority of americans are supportive of Bush? NO! That would be impossible! There must be a conspiracy here somewhere.

i know people are going to think this is dumb and reactionary, but i can't shake the feeling that there IS a conspiracy somewhere!!

i mean...the recent "ok to kill americans oops we already did!" thing???

how dumb do they think we are??

And Haliburton??? PUHLEEEZ!!! Can it be any more sickeningly apparent???

ok i know this was a michael moore thread. all this anti-bush belongs somewhere else. sorry.

:mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom