Michael Moore's "Good Friday/Passover/Easter, 2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
A Good Friday

Good Friday/Passover/Easter, 2002

Dear friends,

I've never quite figured out why they call it "Good Friday." I mean, for
Christ's sake, a guy got nailed to death on a cross! Actually it was THREE guys
on that hill in Jerusalem -- the other two being petty thieves who apparently
had run afoul of Rome's three-strikes-and-you're-out policy. Maybe someone came
up with the term "Good Friday" to try and put a positive spin on things,
realizing it's hard to attract converts to your religion with such a downer
image of its leader being executed. I've often wondered why the Catholic Church
doesn't use Jesus rolling back the stone and rising from the dead as its chief
icon, something we'd all like to be able to do someday. Instead, we get his
corpse hammered into wood and hung above every altar. It's like the Democrats
deciding to replace the donkey as their symbol with JFK's brains being blown out
the back of his head. Who'd vote for the candidate with that image next to his
or her name on the ballot?

I am being evicted today, Good Friday, from my office. I had just one week left
to edit my film, but the landlord -- heartless bastard! -- is having me tossed
out for non-payment of rent. Back in October, my publisher, HarperCollins, was
supposed to pay me for the work I did in writing "Stupid White Men." Citing "the
tragic events of 9-11" (a mantra that seems to have been repeated by every
business in America as they've shamelessly used the dead of that day to justify
their obscene layoffs and cutbacks) the publisher claimed they did not have to
pay me until the book was "published." I said, "What do you call 50,000 copies
of this very book that have already been printed and are now sitting in your
warehouse?" They said, "We call that printing 50,000 copies of a book that's now
sitting in a warehouse, but not yet 'published.'"

Well, once you head down the road trying to fight that kind of logic, you are
lost in a vortex from which you may never return. So, the book didn't really
"exist" (and it sat in "nonexistence" in that warehouse for another 4 months).
Meanwhile, I had no paycheck. Now, I don't want to bore you with my financial
situation, and I certainly don't want you feeling sorry for me. I have done
better than I have ever dreamed of with my high school education, and I'm sure
most of you could fill both my ears with what it takes for YOU just to make it
through the week. My current problems were compounded by the fact that I had
decided to spend the bulk of 2001 making the documentary film that I am now
finishing. I got my last paycheck for this film 12 months ago, so I was counting
on the fee for the book to get me through the rest of 2001.

When that didn't happen (as most of you know, the publisher wanted me to "tone
down" the stuff about Bush in the book, and I wouldn't, so there was a standoff
until they finally backed down), things began to fall apart. After I had already
gone a few months without being able to pay the office rent where our edit room
was located, the landlord went to court and got an order -- to have the sheriff
toss me out on the curb! Suddenly, visions of Deputy Fred from "Roger & Me" were
dancing in my head! Well, I negotiated with the landlord to give me a little
more time, and the angels from Salter Street Films in Canada (who have backed
this documentary from the start) agreed to pay some of the rent. But the
landlord would only accept the money on the condition that we leave the premises
on Easter weekend.

And, thus, here I am, using the last computer still hooked up to electricity,
writing you this letter. I can't get past either the irony or the yin/yang of
this moment: I've got the number one bestselling book in the country -- and the
landlord has just cut my off my electricity in the middle of this sentence! I
don't even know if the computer has backed-up this letter! Agggghhh!!...

Okay, I've returned from my encounter with the landlord in the hallway and the
lights are back on. How surreal is this? Now comes a message from the publisher
that the book goes on sale in the U.K. and Ireland this week, and they've also
just sold the rights for the book in China, Japan, Korea, France, Germany,
and... THE LINE JUST WENT DEAD! The phone company has disconnected our phone
lines. AARRRGGHH!!...

Okay, the phones are back up. And, lucky for me, just in time, because the guy
who does our taxes is calling to tell me that our tax returns are all filled
out... "But there's just one little problem -- you have no money in the bank to
pay your taxes!" he says.

"You know that home improvement loan you got to fix up your apartment? We'll
have to borrow that money from the bank instead to pay your taxes!"
Waahhhggggghhh!!!

What is next? Please, Supreme Being in Charge Up There -- I GET IT!: "You wanna
sell 400,000 books? A pound-and-a-half of flesh, sonny boy!"

The credit card company has now called because they have cut off our card. But,
wait, we paid THAT bill! People in our building have heard we are moving and are
stopping by to see if they can pick over our furniture and equipment at fire
sale prices. I see my desk being hauled away one minute... then I see someone
trying to walk off with our Ficus tree that we ran for Congress in 2000... and
now some stranger is swiping the third reel of our film! SOMEBODY STOP HIM!

The phones, though, are still working. I know this to be a fact because on the
phone is the lawyer helping us avoid yet another court appearance. The British
TV network, Channel Four (the people who produced the first season of "The
Awful Truth"), have not paid one of their bills here in New York, and it is now
way overdue. The guy wants to be paid -- he should be! -- but he hasn't sued
Channel Four for the money. He has come after us! And why not? Why go 4,000
miles across an ocean to try and collect when the Channel Four employee whose
name is on the bill -- mine! -- is just down the street from you?! So, just days
short of completing my documentary, I have now had to sell off half our edit
equipment to pay off the creditor whom Channel Four failed to pay. MOMMMYYYY!!!

Does it get worse? Of course it does! And this time, the news is tragic. My wife
and I have had four deaths in our extended family in the past four months -- and
now word comes today, Good Friday, that an in-law has had a horrible accident in
Michigan and is in critical condition. He was in Michigan to attend his mother's
funeral, just four days ago... she was a wonderful woman whose simple presence
brought happiness to all around her. I can still remember Maryann decorating the
church for us the night before our wedding, an inner-city church that had seen
its day and not many weddings of late. She had transformed it into a beautiful
place for my wife and I. Now her son lays unconscious in a hospital fighting for
his life.

The TV is on, blaring in the background... suicide bombers strike again in all
their horror and a former butcher-now-prime minister appears ready to slaughter
as many people as he can, their blood on their doorsteps will not protect them,
no angel will pass over to spare them... and my wife is on the phone with her
sister who is telling her this bad news about the accident and it all just
becomes too much to handle... my petty problems are reduced to the significance
they deserve, and I quietly go into the other room and start to cry. After a few
moments, I suck it in and get back to work boxing up my belongings, listening to
a producer tell me why "10 minutes HAS to come out of the film" (it won't), and
talking to my daughter who, out of the blue, just wanted to thank me for working
so hard so she can go to college.

And that made it all worthwhile.

Yours from Inside His Own Private Golgotha,

Michael Moore
Author
Filmmaker
Dad

Originally posted by Danospano:
A Good Friday

Dear friends,

deciding to replace the donkey as their symbol with JFK's brains being blown out

Michael Moore
Author
Filmmaker
Dad
Good grief. I had wondered if this guy could ever get MORE offensive, and now I have my answer. I haven't read a more irreverent pile of bullshit in quite some time.
Good Friday is calld that because it is the day that Christ laid down his life and bought back humanity. It is indeed a good Friday for mankind. And the reason Catholics have a crucifix as a symbol? He really can't figure it out? It's because we should never forget the sacrifice Christ made for us.
And then, to close his ridiculous column with "inside his own private golgotha" is insulting; equating the petty problems he has in this life to the pain, anguish and suffering experienced by Christ on Golgotha. From where does all this hatred in Moore's heart come?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-01-2002).]

I must agree with you 80's.

I tend to enjoy some of what this man says but this is pretty self-rightous and the part about Jesus made me angry. Not the angry we usually get but for a man who profess to know soooo much and act like he knows so little it made me mad.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I am sure I will get blasted for this statement....

Yes, it is offensive to Christians (I am a Catholic), but he is probably not a believer - and has his right to free speech - and twist stories from the bible into his world. I, having studied the bible, found the humor in this. I doubt he really thinks he is jesus-like. It is a play on words - likening his situation to Jesus'.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
I, having studied the bible, found the humor in this. I doubt he really thinks he is jesus-like. It is a play on words - likening his situation to Jesus'.
I, having studied the Bible also, found no humor whatsoever in this. I'm not even sure he intended it to be humorous. It was just a vehicle for him to spew out his bitterness.
What part of this could you possibly find funny?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-02-2002).]

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
I, having studied the bible, found the humor in this. I doubt he really thinks he is jesus-like. It is a play on words - likening his situation to Jesus'.
I, having studied the Bible also, found no humor whatsoever in this. I'm not even sure he intended it to be humorous. It was just a vehicle for him to spew out his bitterness.
What part of this could you possibly find funny?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-02-2002).]

He is a humor writer - Irony is his specialty. There is irony in his finding his life like Jesus'. I guess I have learned not to take life, or myself, too seriously. It's not worth it.

He is a humor writer - Irony is his specialty. There is irony in his finding his life like Jesus'. I guess I have learned not to take life, or myself, too seriously. It's not worth it.
Irony is his specialty? Well, there is no irony in finding his life like Jesus' life, because his life isn't like Jesus' life. That was my point entirely; that he sure has some nerve comparing his life to Jesus' life.

80sU2, why don't you just stop replying to anything that I post concerning Michael Moore. We all know you disapprove of anything and everything he has to say, so why don't you go join AchtungBubba and have your own personal, conservative, pseudo-intellectual orgy.

You have no sense of humor, and expect everyone to share your same exact beliefs. You make claims, but don't support them with well-grounded evidence. You shout from your mountain top like a priest during the Red Scare, and you're becoming very hateful in the process. Yes, I know that I'm returning the favor, but you should know that I've kept my mouth shut for quite a while.

Open your mind, and I'll talk
Close your mouth, and listen
Maybe you'll be surprised at how much your missing.
Maybe

80sU2, why don't you just stop replying to anything that I post concerning Michael Moore. We all know you disapprove of anything and everything he has to say, so why don't you go join AchtungBubba and have your own personal, conservative, pseudo-intellectual orgy.

You have no sense of humor, and expect everyone to share your same exact beliefs. You make claims, but don't support them with well-grounded evidence. You shout from your mountain top like a priest during the Red Scare, and you're becoming very hateful in the process. Yes, I know that I'm returning the favor, but you should know that I've kept my mouth shut for quite a while.

Maybe

I would just like to say that I as a Christian really do not see the humor in Micheal Moore's flippant and insulting remarks about Christ. I suppose you're going to tell me I have no sense of humor and am close-minded as well?

Danospano, if you can't tell that Micheal Moore's ambition in writing those words was to offend Christians then perhaps you are the one that is close-minded and blinded by your admiration of him. Certainly I don't see how you can post that inflammatory article on a public forum (which I'm sure you are well aware has many Christian members) and then tell people that are offended by it that they shouldn't be or that there is something wrong with them if they are and that they shouldn't post their feelings about it. I really don't think that 80's expects everyone to share his same beliefs and neither do I, but just because you or Micheal Moore don't have the same beliefs or feelings about Christ doesn't mean you can't respect our feelings about Him and our right to be upset when insulting remarks are made about Him.

Hmm...I don't see that Michael Moore is attempting to mock Good Friday at all, or even that he's making any concerted attempt at humor in this article.

He just doesn't understand the significance of Christ's crucifixion, that's all.

Originally posted by speedracer:

He just doesn't understand the significance of Christ's crucifixion, that's all.

Yes, perhaps that is all it is, but it seems to me that he chose his words in such a way as to come across as offensive to people who consider Christ and his crucifixion as more than just "a guy got nailed to death on a cross." I don't have a problem with people voicing their opinions but when it is done in a contentious manner, purposefully trying to offend people, that is where I have a problem.

Originally posted by babble:
I would just like to say that I as a Christian really do not see the humor in Micheal Moore's flippant and insulting remarks about Christ. I suppose you're going to tell me I have no sense of humor and am close-minded as well?
Danospano, if you can't tell that Micheal Moore's ambition in writing those words was to offend Christians then perhaps you are the one that is close-minded and blinded by your admiration of him. Certainly I don't see how you can post that inflammatory article on a public forum (which I'm sure you are well aware has many Christian members) and then tell people that are offended by it that they shouldn't be or that there is something wrong with them if they are and that they shouldn't post their feelings about it. I really don't think that 80's expects everyone to share his same beliefs and neither do I, but just because you or Micheal Moore don't have the same beliefs or feelings about Christ doesn't mean you can't respect our feelings about Him and our right to be upset when insulting remarks are made about Him.
Thanks, Babble! I appreciate you getting my back!

80sU2, why don't you just stop replying to anything that I post concerning Michael Moore. We all know you disapprove of anything and everything he has to say, so why don't you go join AchtungBubba and have your own personal, conservative, pseudo-intellectual orgy.b You have no sense of humor, and expect everyone to share your same exact beliefs. You make claims, but don't support them with well-grounded evidence. You shout from your mountain top like a priest during the Red Scare, and you're becoming very hateful in the process. Yes, I know that I'm returning the favor, but you should know that I've kept my mouth shut for quite a while.
Maybe
Danospano, when you stop posting Michael Moore's offensive crap, I'll stop responding to it. Why do you post this stuff if not to get an argument from people like me? Be honest, Dude; you don't post it for your fellow liberal friends (many of whom would also find this particularly piece of trash offensive, I would venture). You post it to get an argument going.
And as far as me not having a sense of humor, you'll never know how wrong you are. 80sU2isBest is who I am on this forum, and he is the summation of all my political and religious beliefs. But I have had other names on this forum - one that I don't think anyone would ever figure out it was me. But you know what, Dude? I don't laugh at Michael Moore because he's NOT FREAKIN' FUNNY! Especially this tripe.
You call me hateful?? I think most people on this forum would disagree with you, even people who have more liberal beliefs than I. Go ahead, take a poll. I dare you.
Maybe YOU need to open your eyes and really look hard and honestly at this column by Michael Moore. If you do, you'll see several things that would offend most Christians (be they liberal, conservative, Catholic, Protestant, etc.). If you can't see those things, Sir, you are blind.

A Good Friday

Dear friends,

Michael Moore
Author
Filmmaker
Dad
Good grief. I had wondered if this guy could ever get MORE offensive, and now I have my answer. I haven't read a more irreverent pile of bullshit in quite some time.
Good Friday is calld that because it is the day that Christ laid down his life and bought back humanity. It is indeed a good Friday for mankind. And the reason Catholics have a crucifix as a symbol? He really can't figure it out? It's because we should never forget the sacrifice Christ made for us.
And then, to close his ridiculous column with "inside his own private golgotha" is insulting; equating the petty problems he has in this life to the pain, anguish and suffering experienced by Christ on Golgotha. From where does all this hatred in Moore's heart come?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-01-2002).]

Glad you show no emotions, 80tish.

OK settle down people, he's just a comedian! If you don't like him don't go to his shows or read his books or open threads about him.

Originally posted by Rono:
Glad you show no emotions, 80tish.
I know exactly to what you are referring, Rono, but the two have nothing to do with each other. Re-read what you posted that I was referring to as "emotional tripe", and you will see that it is nothing like what I have posted here.
In that particular post, someone answered your question in a way you must not have liked, so how did you respond? By going off on some tangent and going on about 1)pedophile priests and (2)the president of the USA, neither of which had anything at all to do with anything. My point wasn't that you shouldn't be emotional. My point was that you should argue using logic, not go on some emotional tirade that didn't have anything to do with the subject at hand.
As you can see, in this post, I responded to Moore's column with a logical argument. yes, it did have some emotion, but the emotion was tied to teh argument; that Moore's post was an insulting piece of garbage.
So, you think you've somehow "got me" with your post, but you don't, because the 2 posts in question were not similar at all.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-03-2002).]

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
OK settle down people, he's just a comedian! If you don't like him don't go to his shows or read his books or open threads about him.

Well, I'd just like to say that I hardly know anything about Micheal Moore and upon seeing this thread, I had not anticipated being upset by it. Anyway, what is the point in posting an article in a forum with members of varying beliefs and opinions, a forum designed for discussion, if you only want people to agree with it and if they don't, ignore it. It just doesn't make sense to me. To be honest I'm not in a frenzy of anger or anything but I felt I should voice my opinion about it, especially since I agreed with 80sU2isBest and he was blasted so unfairly for voicing his opinion.

p.s. your welcome 80's

But you know what, Dude? I don't laugh at Michael Moore because he's NOT FREAKIN' FUNNY! Especially this tripe.
You call me hateful?? I think most people on this forum would disagree with you, even people who have more liberal beliefs than I. Go ahead, take a poll. I dare you.
Maybe YOU need to open your eyes and really look hard and honestly at this column by Michael Moore. If you do, you'll see several things that would offend most Christians (be they liberal, conservative, Catholic, Protestant, etc.). If you can't see those things, Sir, you are blind.

I thought it was funny ironic. I mean really - Moore has a point - it takes a really good spin doctor to make your religious leader's crucifixation into a observance day called Good Friday. Imagine the horror had the US tried to establish Thursday, April 4, 1968 or Friday, November 22, 1963 as 'good' anything?

The sign off including the reference to his own private golgatha just uses that as an anology for how he feels in being evicted for non payment or rent when he fact has the #1 non fiction book in the country. Irony.

It wasn't hilarious -but it was worth a chuckle. BTW Moore is a very nice person. A close friend of mine worked for him as a PA and she got the job because she was his cousin somehow. I was in his office when I was in NYC a couple years ago. Sorry to hear that the infamous ficus tree was almost kidnapped!
smile.gif

M

Originally posted by YellowKite:
I thought it was funny ironic. I mean really - Moore has a point - it takes a really good spin doctor to make your religious leader's crucifixation into a observance day called Good Friday. Imagine the horror had the US tried to establish Thursday, April 4, 1968 or Friday, November 22, 1963 as 'good' anything?
The sign off including the reference to his own private golgatha just uses that as an anology for how he feels in being evicted for non payment or rent when he fact has the #1 non fiction book in the country. Irony.
M
Martin Luther King (April 4, 1968) and JFK (Nov.22 1963) died and are still in the grave. Their deaths did not provide salvation to millions of people. Their deaths are not the cornerstone for one of the major religions of the world. What Jesus Christ accomplished on that day was a good thing for millions of people. The way Moore so flippantly discusses this most holy event is downrigth insulting.
I catch the irony in the fact that he is being evicted even though he has the #1 selling non-fiction book in the country. That is irony. But to compare it to the suffering that occurred on Golgotha; I don't find that humorous at all - it's quite frankly insulting. I would say it would be akin to a millionaire visiting a village in Ethiopia with starving children all around, and complaining that he's hungry because they didn't serve lunch on the plane ride over.

Originally posted by YellowKite:

It wasn't hilarious -but it was worth a chuckle. BTW Moore is a very nice person. A close friend of mine worked for him as a PA and she got the job because she was his cousin somehow. I was in his office when I was in NYC a couple years ago. Sorry to hear that the infamous ficus tree was almost kidnapped!
smile.gif

M

Crucifixation????

I would say it would be akin to a millionaire visiting a village in Ethiopia with starving children all around, and complaining that he's hungry because they didn't serve lunch on the plane ride over.

Humm. That sounds ironic to me.

Originally posted by KevM:
Humm. That sounds ironic to me.
Actually, that isnt irony. Irony is when you say one thing, but you mean exactly the opposite. But it is a very ridiculous and insulting thing for that millionaire to be doing, in the same way that Michael Moore equating his troubles with Christ's suffering is ridiculous and insulting.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-03-2002).]

I hardly have the energy to write this post. I have a paper due tomorrow and I got about 2 hours of sleep last night. Somehow, I'm still compelled to respond.

80sU2isBest has stated his opinion on Moore. I haven't heard him say one truly, good word about the man's thoughts, which is very odd by itself. I'm sure that they have at least SOME things is common. Nevertheless, he's beating a dead horse. I understand that you don't agree with Moore, so it gets a little repeatitive whenever you sound-off on every letter I post. I'm not telling you to stop responsed. I'm wishing you would stop. Not because I believe in censorship, but because every freakin' person in this chatroom knows how you feel. Whatever, do what you want to.

I don't want to argue about religion, because that one can never be won.

I'm tired of the double standard seen between what is humourous, but I know that humour is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think that Pauly Shore is the complete opposite of funny, while someone else obviously does or should I say, did. This Moore letter makes the reader think about the way religious leadership spins historic events to fit their own personal agenda, and being raised Christian, and then reaching the age of reason, I can see humour in every religion. Be it Christianity or whatever.

People take themselve too seriously, and 80sU2isBest DOES symbolize the political outlook of U2 in the 1980's: serious. But remember that with age comes wisdom, much like the U2 of the 1990's and the present. I don't know how old you are, 80sU2, but I'm only 22 and I've already discovered that life and everything around it is not to be taken seriously. That's based on reading Chomsky, Hemingway, Plato, The Bible, Michael Moore, countless other authors, and most of all, YOUR POSTS.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
but every freakin' person in this chatroom (sic*) knows how Moore feels too.
*message board.
Exactly right, Bama, and thanks for that grand re-entrance into my cyberlife!
Dano, we do indeed all know how Moore feels about everything by now. But you just keep posting it, don't you? Even though you know how I feel, and you know that he gets me so riled up. Listen, surely by now you know how important faith is to me. You've seen me defend my faith time after time. Did you really think I wouldn't defend it against this insulting column written by Moore?
And about humor; I think that life is 95% serious. There are big issues in this life - faith, hope, love, death, etc. But somethings I do treat humorously. Not this column. In my opinion, it wasn't intended to be funny and it's not funny.
By the way, I'm 34. I'm glad you've read so many books about life. But I have faced many things in my life that have ingrained into me how serious life is. I have had to face the deaths of 3 grandparents, my father, my brother and my son. You never know how long your loved ones will have life, so you damn well better take care of things while they're here to benefit from it.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-04-2002).]

All I'm saying is that nobody should let life get them down. Religion and everyone's personal beliefs legitimize life. They give people a reason to get up in the morning. Without faith in God, most people would take life less seriously. I happen to "think" that God has a pretty damn good sense of humor. I also think he could care less what happens to each and every human being, let alone mammals in general.
This is MY OPINION, and I don't care if you agree or not, I'm just stating it.
My outlook on life is based on logic, scientific proof, and occassionally I flirt with the faith. I see life as a one-night stand, where we should have fun while we're here. Before all of us know, we'll be breathing our last breathe. We'll look back on our lives and wonder, "Did I have fun, or did I take matters too seriously?" I for one, what to look back and realize that I live life to the highest and tried many different ventures. I will be glad I stopped to smell the roses, practiced a chrisian faith for 10 years of my life, explore the issue of religion and how it interacts with the "big picture", and so forth.
I know many people whom I make it a point NOT to talk about religion, because they've been hypotized to the point of no return. They feel that everything they're told by the church is true. At least the things they WANT to believe. It's funny how a lot of Christians practice pre-martial sex (even peity members are being caught these days), drink alcohol, kill their fellow man, destroy the environment that God gave us, and think going to church gives them a clean slate.

Okay, I'm off the point of my rant....

Basically, I think that are times when people should take things seriously. We have laws and regulations that keep people from acting like looney-tunes in my front yard, okay? We have schools were people are forced to learn the skills that will make them productive in society. But humour is essential to live a happy life. I mean, how many people know someone who's always straightfaced and serious? EVERYONE, right? Well, those are the people that ruin life for the rest of us. They make us feel guilty for everything, which really pisses me off.

(I think this is the longest, most directionless post I've ever written, but you must realize that I am now operating on less than 8 hrs of sleep in the last 60 hrs)

GOD! Why must we be serious 95% of the time? That's insane. I can honestly say that if I was straightlaced, serious 95% of the time, and everyone else was as well, we'd have constant fighting between EVERYONE. We'd be drones that go to work, go home, sit in silence (worrying about the future), and never getting a good night's sleep, because we'd be dreaming about how serious life is.

LIGHTEN UP! Please, lighten up. It feels great to take life with a grain of salt. If someone close to you dies, its okay to cry or mourn. But realize that everything dies and focusing on the worst in life and toiling in depressing moments, is not a way to live a life. Unless your into that sort of thing. I think one of my friends is into that...you know, self-mutilation. (oh, charlie, will you ever learn
frown.gif
).

I also think he could care less what happens to each and every human being, let alone mammals in general.

then you would be wrong. God loves every being, especially humans, that lives on this earth. He takes an active interest in the thinga that happens in our lives.

Dano wrote:
My outlook on life is based on logic, scientific proof, and occassionally I flirt with the faith. I see life as a one-night stand, where we should have fun while we're here. Before all of us know, we'll be breathing our last breathe. We'll look back on our lives and wonder, "Did I have fun, or did I take matters too seriously?" I for one, what to look back and realize that I live life to the highest and tried many different ventures. I will be glad I stopped to smell the roses, practiced a chrisian faith for 10 years of my life, explore the issue of religion and how it interacts with the "big picture", and so forth.

80sU2isBest:
You accuse me of taking life too seriously; If you see life as a one night stand, then you don't take life seriously enough. Look around you, Dano, there are wars all over the place - people are being murdered, people are looking for answers. And you call this a "one night stand"? When I look back on my life, I don't care if I can say yes to "Did I have fun? Did I take life too seriously?" What I want to know is that I can answer yes to "Did I tell people the truth of the Gospel?" and "Did I love the Lord?" and "Did I love people the way I would be loved?" That's how I measure success. I want to make a difference in this life, and thinking of life as a "one night stand" doesn't cut it.

Dano wrote:
It's funny how a lot of Christians practice pre-martial sex (even peity members are being caught these days), drink alcohol, kill their fellow man, destroy the environment that God gave us, and think going to church gives them a clean slate.

80s writes:
First, there is no Biblical rule against drinking alcohol. The Bible simply says "Don't get drunk". Secondly, you'll never catch ME saying that going to church gives you a clean slate. If you know anything at all about my beliefs, you'll know that I am a "grace" man. I am saved only by God's grace, not by anything I have done.

Dano wrote:
But humour is essential to live a happy life. I mean, how many people know someone who's always straightfaced and serious? EVERYONE, right? Well, those are the people that ruin life for the rest of us. They make us feel guilty for everything, which really pisses me off.

80s wrote:
Now, sir, I will tell you again - I am not an unfunny person. Ask my friends, and tehy will tell you that I have quite a sense of humor. You are judging my sense of humor on how I react to Michael Moore. That's ridiculous. He's not freaking funny! How can you judge a peron's sense of humor on the fact that they don't find an unfunny man funny? What do I find funny? The comedian George Wallace - HE's funny. The Bernie Mac show - that's a riot! The George Lopez Show - ha ha ha! Old shows especially, like "Leave It To Beaver", "Andy Griffith" and "I Love Lucy" - those are things I find funny! Insulting columns by a bitter writer - I don't find that funny.

Dano wrote:
GOD! Why must we be serious 95% of the time? That's insane. I can honestly say that if I was straightlaced, serious 95% of the time, and everyone else was as well, we'd have constant fighting between EVERYONE. We'd be drones that go to work, go home, sit in silence (worrying about the future), and never getting a good night's sleep, because we'd be dreaming about how serious life is.

80s writes:
Ok, dano, you're starting to upset me a little bit here. First, I did not say I was serious 95% of the time. I said life is 95% serious. There is a difference. And why do you think badly of "seriousness" anyway? Do you think "seriousness" means walking around with a frown all the time? No, that's not what it means! Some people who are too serious do that, but seriousness to me is being fully aware that life is no cosmic mistake, and doing my best in my life's mission. I am serious about life. But that doesn't mean I don't smile, or cut jokes. Again, if you knew me, you would know that. I am known for my opyimism around my family and friends. You've got a wrong definition of seriousness, Dano.

Dano writes:
LIGHTEN UP! Please, lighten up. It feels great to take life with a grain of salt. If someone close to you dies, its okay to cry or mourn. But realize that everything dies and focusing on the worst in life and toiling in depressing moments, is not a way to live a life. Unless your into that sort of thing. I think one of my friends is into that...you know, self-mutilation. (oh, charlie, will you ever learn ).

80s writes:
Finally, don't you DARE to presume to tell me how to handle grief. Have you ever lost a brother and son within a year of each other, only to lose your father 3 years later? If not, you can't speak of that at all. It is devastating.

If I wanted to spend my life "focusing on the worst in life and toiling in depressing moments", that's none of your business. It just so happens that's NOT how I handled those deaths. I did indeed grieve, but I have a great God in Heaven who has comforted and strengthened me through it all. What those experiences taught me was (1)To appreciate and love people while they're alive and (2)Tell people God loves them.

Despite what you might think (without even knowing me, I will add), I am not some serious, sourpuss old grouch. But I will not NOW or EVER pretend I see humor in an article that insults my faith or my God.

80s, I really do understand that you are a man of deep faith and convictions and you seem to strive hard to really walk your talk. I appreciate that in anybody. I, too, have deep faith--different from yours, but no less profound for me--and try as I might, I cannot imagine being this offended if someone who is known for being more or less a political satirist and comedian (as well as a real activist), made similar comments about that which I hold sacred. I really don't think I'd be offended--but then again, I'm not easily offended in general. Why get so worked up over someone you think is a jerk? Just consider the source and let it go.

I like Moore, but this particular article I actually thought was kind of dumb (but don't stop posting them, Dano!). It's just one slob's viewpoint, 80s. The God I believe in has a pretty wild sense of humor and I doubt if God or Jesus are sweatin' too much over this one. You shouldn't either. I mean, you can if you want, but I honestly think you're making a big deal over a lot of nothing. Yes, he took a little jab at Jesus--so what? Shrug it off. You know what you believe--that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom