Metropolis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Be idealistic and forget about the world we have today and all of its origins. Imagine if we were able to start anew.

What is your ideal world? Ideal city? Ideal nation? Ideal religion? Ideal society? Ideal <insert something here>?

Now return to the real world...

Is it folly to be idealistic? Or is change possible?

Melon

My Great Grand Father was born in Metropolis! Metropolis IL, I think it is the only town with that name.

melon said:
Be idealistic and forget about the world we have today and all of its origins. Imagine if we were able to start anew.

What is your ideal world? Ideal city? Ideal nation? Ideal religion? Ideal society? Ideal <insert something here>?

Now return to the real world...

Is it folly to be idealistic? Or is change possible?

Melon

Imagine all the people......

Peace to all

I?ll tell you a little something I felt yesterday.

I was in one of those very hip :confused: entertainment centers yesterday. You know, very big place, shops. restaurants, bars, cinemas, concert hall, hang out for teens, etc. - you can also live there, they have apartments, so its like a little town.

I liked it because I am an entertainment junkie.

This is a place which was opened sth. like a year ago. The original buildings are classical, they have been built to store gas, sometime in the twenties maybe. So - in the 80s and start of the 90s no one used them. Actually, you could rent them for a night for 400 $; a friend of mine did for his birthday party sth. like ten years ago (if you were able rent them now, it would be 400 grand with all that schmuck).

Now, the point of this story is that it was a great place, very creative, very free, when I was there ten years ago. You have to imagine a circular building, around 40 metres diameter, around 70 metres high. Inside no rooms, just one big hall. One master light switch, when you turned it on it was like... woooow. One diaprojector in the middle, and my little Hifi with 40 watts rms and Floyd, Hendrix etc. When you danced, you could see your big shadow projected on this huge wall. The Hifi was so small that when you moved ten metres, you heard the incredible reverb of that place.

Now, if you compare those two versions of the same place... I don?t know, yesterday I was walking through this shopping mall, and I felt... strange. Like in babylon, a modern hell; but at the same time I liked it - but I know that it was nothing, nothing in compare of what style and dignity and beauty the place had way back when.

Sorry that I am not laying the foundation for a better world in this thread...

I think there should be no nations. No nations means no wars (exept of civil ones - ? - but if no one had weapons, all they could do is fight like hoods). What do we need nations for? Everyone should be equal. And some nationalities are not. Worldwide trade is possible without borders, as we can see with globalization; but things have to be equalled out.

I would like freedom of religion everywhere, and respect of every human being, no matter what religion.

There is no ideal society. Societies always are variable, they always change, and I would not like to direct how a society should behave... behavioural patterns of different societies should be free to mix.

And I would like more respect towards animals and nature.

I would like if inhabitants of the so called first world would reduce their comfort in order to transfer help to the so called third world. I would like to see the gap between poor and rich getting smaller instead of widening.

And I would like a certain mood... like described above with my example. If people came together and create something salsa, instead of filling their sad lives with all that junk.

Change is possible. But in order to reach that change, existing power structures have to be destroyed. In which way, you ask? I can?t answer that. I am not Martin Luther King, and I am not Che Guevara.

foray said:
I thought this was a thread about the anime movie.

foray

Actually, I have Fritz Lang on the brain right now...

Plus, I have a particular rotting city in mind right now that could need a "Metropolis"-style makeover...

Melon

Back
Top Bottom