Metallica Objects to......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
.....the way the US Military has used their music!

Metallica are particularly unhappy about certain actions the U.S. military has taken in Iraq.

Not the ones that resulted in the collapse of Saddam Hussein's empire ? the ones in which the band's music was played to extract information

from terrified Iraqi prisoners who'd never been exposed to heavy metal.

Speaking to the press in Europe, drummer Lars Ulrich told the World Entertainment News Network that he strongly objects to the use of "Enter Sandman" as a device of coercion. "I feel horrible about this," he said. "No one in Iraq has ever done anything to hurt me, and I don't understand why we have to be implicated in that bullsh--."

Ulrich added that if the Army is intent on using loud music to break Saddam's supporters, they should find something really grating on the ears. "What about firing up some Venom or some of those Norwegian death metal bands?" he proposed. "The problem with that is then it wouldn't be a soundbite. Sometimes Metallica become the token heavy metal band that you can talk about."

Despite his unhappiness, Ulrich said there's nothing he can do about the current situation. "What am I supposed to do about it," he asked, "get George Bush on the phone and tell him to get his generals to play some Venom?"

The band's label had no comment.

This report is provided by MTV Newshttp://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1472566/20030611/metallica.jhtml?headlines=true

What about Christian music? That makes plenty of Christians hurl, let alone fanatical Muslims. :tongue:

Melon

martha said:
They should use a Celine Dion song. THAT would make me spill my guts about anything. :tsk:

NOOOOOOO!!!! :yuck:

I think I gotta hurl...

BTW, does this mean that Las Vegas is then truly 'hell on earth'? :)

C ya!

Marty

melon said:
What about Christian music? That makes plenty of Christians hurl, let alone fanatical Muslims. :tongue:
Melon
I think that if Christians hurl when hearing Christian music, then they've got some kind of "biological/physiological" reaction problem going.

Maybe I don't like certain types of Christian music, but if the lyrics praise God, then it certainly doesn't make me hurl.

By the way, do you hurl when you hear "Gloria", or "Grace" or "When You Look At The World"? If that isn't called Christian music, I don't know what is.

Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail.
Once you provoke her, rattling her tail,
Never begins it, never, but once engaged...
Never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage.

Don't tread on me.

So be it.
Threaten no more.
To secure peace is to prepare for war.
So be it.
Settle the score.
Touch me again for the words that you'll hear evermore.

Don't tread on me.

--Metallica

melon said:

Melon

melon -- we're not trying to push western religious beliefs on them. Just Western political, social and economic beliefs on them. You should be more sensitive to the needs of people who live near Bush International Airport in Baghdad, which would be a hellish airport if Bush International Airport in Houston is any indication.

That being said, maybe it wasn't the fact that Metallica music scares Iraqis but rather that even Iraqis realize Metallica's music sucks.

[ya know, I got no satisfaction by typing that last paragraph -- the rip was just too easy. no challenge.]

sharky said:

[ya know, I got no satisfaction by typing that last paragraph -- the rip was just too easy. no challenge.]

I'd encourage you to stop by Circuit City and pick up their new CD, ST. ANGER, for $9.99. I was getting some speakers installed Saturday and noticed it at that price on the "new releases" shelf, with a free live DVD. Robert Trujillo is the new bass player.

~U2Alabama

Ever since tha napster thing on principle I HATE metallica ...and everything that comes with them

Rock and roll bands are rock and roll bands - you cannot take what they say or do that seriously.

I thought their Napster stance was flawed, but I love St. Anger - so what should I do.

It is all about the music.

I actually do not even mind Lars' stance on the Iraq thing. I mean think about it. What if it was U2? WHat if we invaded some country who we found out hated U2 and we were blaring it at them to torture them for info night after night - do we all think Bono would not have some say about that?

These people do not record their music with the intent that it is going to be used as a torture device. i think the band should have been asked before it was done.

ouizy said:
What if it was U2? WHat if we invaded some country who we found out hated U2 and we were blaring it at them to torture them for info night after night - do we all think Bono would not have some say about that?

Wow....I wish I had started the thread posing this question.

You hit the nail on the head!:up:

Back
Top Bottom