MERGED: Will there be cheering...? + YES! there is cheering... + Iraqi town liberated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course there will be film of people cheering in the streets.

I have not seen one person post that Saddam was popular.

It will be played on a continuous loop on FOX news? channel.

A 23 year old American girl was killed by a tank yesterday.

And you ask me if the Iraqis will cheer when they see tanks.

I think they will. They will wave an American flag and be happy that their sons die in war.

Hip Hop,

That was a horrible incident yesterday - but it wasn't a tank, it was a bulldozer trying to demolish a house of a suspected terrorist.

She decided to give her life defending a building - that was her choice. It seemed an innapropriate use for her life though. An absolutely awful thing to happen.

Politically, I side with Isreal, but I am in no way condoning this kind of action.

I do not think this will solve any problems - just like american protesters riding Isreali buses to keep Palestinians from blowing them up wouldn't solve any problems.

:(

Will there be cheering in Baghdad? Heavens, no. Who's going to be left to cheer after the place has been bombed to bits?? If there's anyone left in that unfortunate city it will only be ghosts. This is going to be the most absolutely godawful thing ever.:sad: :sad: :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
Ok, it was a bulldozer. Does that make any difference? Listen, I really don?t mean to get personal, it is not about you, I respect you personally. I just can?t understand a kind of question like "Will there be cheering...".

I doubt she decided to give her life defending a building. Sure, there is a risk she must have been aware of. I admire and respect persons like her. This wonderful youth, 23 years old, with so much heart and soul and idealism, putting her life into Gods hands, so to say... throwing it away for her belief...

Why let the facts get in the way of a good post?

The point is, that if they are truly an oppressed people, will they be happy when they are liberated?

There will also be tears at the loss of life.

Yes... It was meant to be a simple question. How will the Iraqi people react to the overthrow of Saddam/the destruction of his army/the occupation of Iraq.

I say Yes - also giving that there will be some grief for those who do not surrender and a caught up in the serious fighting.

Mark

We will see what liberation means.

The point is, does the majority of Iraqis have the great, democratic education to know what oppression is?

I thought you know about education. See it from an average Iraqis eyes, not from yours, if you want to know an answer to the question if Iraqis will be cheering.

Why not let facts get "in the way" of a :censored: post. "In the way", again remembering me of a bulldozer.

Anyway, thanks for your prayer about forgiveness. Thats a good post, in my humble opinion.

MadelynIris said:
Yes... It was meant to be a simple question. How will the Iraqi people react to the overthrow of Saddam/the destruction of his army/the occupation of Iraq.

We will not know it beforehand, I guess.

MadelynIris said:
Hip Hop,

She decided to give her life defending a building - that was her choice. It seemed an innapropriate use for her life though. An absolutely awful thing to happen.

Politically, I side with Isreal, but I am in no way condoning this kind of action.

I do not think this will solve any problems - just like american protesters riding Isreali buses to keep Palestinians from blowing them up wouldn't solve any problems.

:(

This is sickly twisted logic. Next time a police officer gets killed in the line of duty, lets just remember that he made the choice to put himself in harm's way, right? :down:

The only choice made that meant someone's life or death was the murderous bulldozer driver who deliberately ran her over. He made the decision to keep driving. And from the news accounts I've seen, they were just levelling houses at will, not only 'houses where suspected terrorists lived'.

Talk about a murderous regime.

Last edited:
I'm sure those mothers whose babies die in the rubble will be just itchin' to kiss American ass in Baghdad.

If you lost a member of your family to the almighty MOAB, I hardly think you'd be throwing a party. Yes, they hate Saddam, but they love their kids more than they hate him. I guarantee you that, or they wouldn't be mothers, lovers, brothers, sisters.

I guess it is a good thing that MOAB isn;t for use on troops then isn't it.

Peace

I believe you're smart enough to know what I meant.

You've got kids. If they were collateral damage, would you be going out to cheer the foreign forces? Somehow I doubt it. In fact, I'd be horrified to hear any parent say that.

We can continue to hypothesise all we want, but the last time there was cheering in Baghdad was 9/11.

Ant.

Hmmm...I seem to remember a certain well known band basing their concept for a tour off the premise that some people on this side of the world sat at home 'cheering' on the first Gulf War on their big screens like armchair football coaches.

Not that it makes it right on either side.

Does anyone recall then, a time when Baghdad rejoiced after 9/11?
I dont. Do you have something in mind pub? A genuine question, as that really is the last I recall as well.

Indeed, it is NOT an assumption, pub crawler; this was shown on BBC and CNN the day after 9/11. I am sorry if you missed it.

If you did, however, I would also like people to pay attention to the large demonstrations that have taken place in Baghdad against the so-called 'free world' where British and American flags are burnt to a crisp to the sound of the cheering masses. Again, not an assumption - it has been reported repeatedly time and time again. The relevant question is whether its a fact or I am indeed seeing things. I choose the former.

Ant.

A big d'oh to me. I thought pub crawler meant a time after the rejoicing we saw of 9/11 up til now.
I think there were even pictures posted in here about it. ???

Anyways...

Anthony said:
Indeed, it is NOT an assumption, pub crawler; this was shown on BBC and CNN the day after 9/11. I am sorry if you missed it.

Ant.

Hi Anthony. Yes, I thought you were referring to the footage shown on CNN the day after 9/11. I didn't remember that celebration being in Baghdad. Indeed, I couldn't find any stories on the web confirming the celebration took place in Baghdad. Rather, it reportedly happened in East Jerusalem. I dunno, maybe you can show me differently.

Anthony said:
The relevant question is whether its a fact or I am indeed seeing things.

Ant.

No, actually that was not the question I was asking you. I was asking you whether or not you were certain the videotaped celebration of 9/11 (which I assumed you were referring to) took place in Baghdad. Simple question.

Well, pub crawler, it was 'allegedly' to have been in Baghdad, I do remember that much. You must forgive me but it was sometime ago.

I do see your point, however, I really don't have the time or the inclination to get into a debate about the integrity and trustworthiness of our Media. Some people believe everything being fed to us is a fabricated lie, some people believe certain bits of it have been doctored, and some chose to believe that the media, though of course influenced, doesn't outright lie. Some believe in all and none of these depending on the scenario, and I include myself in such a group.

My point is; I don't think that many people in Iraq are waiting for the 'Free World' to 'liberate' them. They probably were almost a decade ago when the Kurds awaited military assistance to overthrow Saddam Hussein after certain tongues wagging unnecessarily in Washington and London, but instead got a cold shoulder and a blank stare; the 'Free World' wasn't in the liberating mood THEN - and how could they? It wasn't in the political schedule to 'liberate', it wasn't in their best interest to 'see freedom prevail'. Perfectly understandable. After all; the 'Free World' not only removes dictators when it is in its best interest to do so, but installs dictators as well. It even considers some dictators worthy of doing business with, and considers others to be the opposite.

I think there are more people in Iraq who are bitter, angry and unequivocally outraged. I think there are more people in Iraq awaiting to be royally screwed, for lack of a better expression, if the West's past history of involvement in the Middle East is anything to go by.

Ant.

Last edited:
When I think of Iraq, I think of Stalinist Russia. Following his death on March 3, 1953, yes, people wept for their leader...and within a few years, he was one of the most hated men in Russian history. Iraq, as it stands, is a very tightly controlled and orchestrated nation. It is my guess that the cheers of 9/11 were less to do than sincere applause for the destruction of the U.S., but, rather, they were cheering, because, after so many years, they were taught to believe that the U.S. is a bad nation.

Whether it is true or not is not my perogative. "Perception" is the key here. I have a feeling that, a year from now, the Iraqi people will have vastly differing opinions, much like Russia's awakening after Stalin.

Melon

melon said:
When I think of Iraq, I think of Stalinist Russia. Following his death on March 3, 1953, yes, people wept for their leader...and within a few years, he was one of the most hated men in Russian history. Iraq, as it stands, is a very tightly controlled and orchestrated nation. It is my guess that the cheers of 9/11 were less to do than sincere applause for the destruction of the U.S., but, rather, they were cheering, because, after so many years, they were taught to believe that the U.S. is a bad nation.

Whether it is true or not is not my perogative. "Perception" is the key here. I have a feeling that, a year from now, the Iraqi people will have vastly differing opinions, much like Russia's awakening after Stalin.

Melon

Excellent analysis.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom