MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since the flooding, New Orleans has not had a government.

hence, this becomes a FEDERAL responsibility requiring EXECUTIVE leadership.

there has been none. none.

just a mental and moral midget, peeved at the loss of precious, precious vacation time, holding pathetic little press conferences as New Orleans morphs into Haiti. if the mayor of NO weren't on the TV begging for help, Bush would still be on the ranch.

make no mistake: he's working on a PR problem, not a humanitarian disaster.

he should be impeached, if not outright jailed.

(yes, i'm angry, and perhaps i'll be calmer in a few hours ... oh, wait, it's been 5 FUCKING DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!)

How are people not in the streets screaming bloody murder? Your president eats cake, your vice president is sun tanning and your secretary of defense is buying Manolos.

We in the rest of the world just truly do not understand this mentality at all.

Condi is Secretary of State. :wink:

Actually, her actions during all of this have upset me more than I expected. I always had a lot of respect for her, even though I totally disagree with her politics, because she's had an amazing career and got ahead totally on her merits. But my respect for her has totally plummeted. :down:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
We're supposed to be the best country in the world and we have people living like fucking animals, dying in the streets and shooting each other for water and diapers for their children, and our government is nowhere to be found.

Our "government" has been absent for a long time--long before Hurricane Katrina. I blame, more or less, the course we've taken over the last 25 years, which has emphasized short-term gain and excessive profits at the expense of long-term planning and stability.

These levees were built 30 years ago, knowing full well that they were only built to withstand a Category 3 hurricane and were insufficient. But we were content leaving them as-is for 30 years, because, you know, we need "tax cuts." "We have too many taxes"...blah blah blah...despite the fact that the rest of the industrialized world survives on higher taxation rates, for better or for worse, and it makes little sense giving millionaires and billionaires tax breaks, considering they already never have to worry about altering their spending habits for the rest of their lives.

There's a good solution to our income problems: putting pressure on business to erase the income erosion they've continued to pile on since the 1980s. After all, it is "dumb, uneducated blue collar workers" that drive the health or weakness of our economy (since it is so heavily skewed towards consumer spending), not the top 1%.

The whining over the Big Dig in Boston is another great example. We bitched and moaned over a 20 year project that took something like $15 billion to create. Asian and European nations (particularly France) wouldn't have batted an eye, however. It would have been seen as a major improvement. But while we're willing to bitch about $15 billion for a major improvement on Boston's transportation and economy (after all, now that they've relinked the city, there's going to be an explosion in terms of real estate and growth) over 20 years and, apparently, over $14 billion to fix Louisiana's coastal problems, but we're willing to dump hundreds and hundreds of billions each year on war. Where are our priorities?

But we all know the mantra--"government is bad." That is, until we beg and plead for them, and then we realize that they're not there anymore. Of course, we have reaped exactly what we've sowed, and we should remember this the next time our politicians bring up moralistic diversion legislation like "anti-flag burning" and "anti-gay" outrage. You should be asking why Congress and the President isn't doing something actually important.

Melon

Last edited:
:mad:

Arguing with my mom over IM. Oh yeah, let's not "politicize" it...it wasn't Bush's fault, blah blah blah. Hello mom...the idiot that YOU voted for is a real winner!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Condoleeza Rice has been called incompetent for years for various things. I have never been impressed with her at all and it's nice to finally be justified.

What is this, the second coming of Imelda Marcos?

It's a national disgrace.

anitram said:
How are people not in the streets screaming bloody murder? Your president eats cake, your vice president is sun tanning and your secretary of defense is buying Manolos.

I think since yesterday afternoon, the tide has been turning against the government. Looking at CNN, MSNBC, and other news websites today, the coverage of the administration's reaction has been "blistering" as one columnist put it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5961048/

Here's another article to angry up the blood :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.fema.brown/index.html

Last edited:
People COULDN'T LEAVE!!! :banghead:

Take a good look at the leadership, Bush supporters. Take a good look.

You get what you pay for.

pax said:
People COULDN'T LEAVE!!! :banghead:

Take a good look at the leadership, Bush supporters. Take a good look.

You get what you pay for.

Oh, Abby, don't you know by now that his supporters would never blame him directly for this?

It's never his fault! :happy: He's just a "good ole boy" trying to uphold good old Christian values and take care of his people. Oh, wait a sec....

:|

From last night's Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN

"SEN. MARY LANDRIEU (D), LOUISIANA: Anderson, there will be plenty of time to discuss all of those issues, about why, and how, and what, and if. But, Anderson, as you understand, and all of the producers and directors of CNN, and the news networks, this situation is very serious and it's going to demand all of our full attention through the hours, through the nights, through the days.

Let me just say a few things. Thank President Clinton and former President Bush for their strong statements of support and comfort today. I thank all the leaders that are coming to Louisiana, and Mississippi, and Alabama to our help and rescue.

We are grateful for the military assets that are being brought to bear. I want to thank Senator Frist and Senator Reid for their extraordinary efforts.

Anderson, tonight, I don't know if you've heard -- maybe you all have announced it -- but Congress is going to an unprecedented session to pass a $10 billion supplemental bill tonight to keep FEMA and the Red Cross up and operating.

COOPER: Excuse me, Senator, I'm sorry for interrupting. I haven't heard that, because, for the last four days, I've been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi. And to listen to politicians thanking each other and complimenting each other, you know, I got to tell you, there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very frustrated.

And when they hear politicians slap -- you know, thanking one another, it just, you know, it kind of cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours. And there's not enough facilities to take her up.

Do you get the anger that is out here?

LANDRIEU: Anderson, I have the anger inside of me. Most of the homes in my family have been destroyed. Our homes have been destroyed. I understand what you're saying, and I know all of those details. And the president of the United States knows those details.

COOPER: Well, who are you angry at?

LANDRIEU: I'm not angry at anyone. I'm just expressing that it is so important for everyone in this nation to pull together, for all military assets and all assets to be brought to bare in this situation.

And I have every confidence that this country is as great and as strong as we can be do to that. And that effort is under way. COOPER: Well, I mean, there are a lot of people here who are kind of ashamed of what is happening in this country right now, what is -- ashamed of what is happening in your state, certainly.

And that's not to blame the people who are there. It's a desperate situation. But I guess, you know, who can -- I mean, no one seems to be taking responsibility.

I mean, I know you say there's a time and a place for, kind of, you know, looking back, but this seems to be the time and the place. I mean, there are people who want answers, and there are people who want someone to stand up and say, "You know what? We should have done more. Are all the assets being brought to bare?"

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
"I don't make judgments about why people chose not to leave but, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans," he said.

what an idiot.

it is predicatable that a certain percentage of people will not leave. whether it is by choice or by circumstance.

it is the responsibility of a government to look after its citizens in such cases. as melon has documented, governments, especially the american ones, have, over recent history, been purposefully extricating themselves from american lives. in some cases this has been good and in others it has been, evidently, catastrophic.

This is an administration which had Congress fly back in the dead of night to try and keep alive a corpse and a President who joined them. Do you remember all the hullaballoo about how it's inhumane to have her dehydrated? Where is the outrage now?

I just don't get it. The Canadian government has offered aid and our military. If Bush isn't going to get his act together then let other people willing to help step in. Because this looks ridiculous. I'm ashamed it's allowed to happen on our continent at all!

anitram said:
This is an administration which had Congress fly back in the dead of night to try and keep alive a corpse and a President who joined them. Do you remember all the hullaballoo about how it's inhumane to have her dehydrated? Where is the outrage now?

I just don't get it. The Canadian government has offered aid and our military. If Bush isn't going to get his act together then let other people willing to help step in. Because this looks ridiculous. I'm ashamed it's allowed to happen on our continent at all!

i didn't vote for the asshole.

i demand accountability from those that did.

Amen.

It's somehow less inhumane that THOUSANDS of people are dying of starvation and dehydration?

Get on this, Bush administration.

Irvine, I would too.

I would also demand an explanation from the 41% who think he's still doing a good job. What planet are they currently inhabiting?

anitram said:

Don't worry, it's not just the rest of the world, it's the American people as well.

As for the evacuation quote, I do get upset seeing these people that didn't evacuate when they should have...oh, we'll ride it out even though they told us to leave. But there are people that simply don't have cars, people that don't have money to pay for gas or hotels [and this was before gas got bad]. Do you notice anything about the people in the Superdome convoy? Do you notice how they are all black and poor? Last time I checked that wasn't the stereotypical person voting for Bush.

Too bad his brother isn't governor of LA or they would have gotten help much sooner. Four hurricanes through FLA last year and you never saw this kind of problem. Response was immediate.

The New Orleans mayor said it best: the federal government needs to "get of their asses" and do something.

For those of you who are not American:
Although we are one big piece of land called the USA. Our country is comprised of "States" making up the larger country. Each state is self governing. They have their own unique set of laws, customs, even evacuation plans or lack there of.
The federal government---George Bush---is now following up on the lack of preparedness on the part of these states to evacuate the folks who did not have the means to get out. (the poor).
This lack of coordination was a problem on a State level.
The responsibility to move people out has now BECOME a Federal problem and thankfully help is getting in to come to the aid of our Gulf Coast brothers and sisters in need!

Dreadsox said:
So now we are going to politicize natural disasters....

Disappointing to say the least.

Dreadsox, I'm curious if you still feel this way given our administration's absolutely ridiculous handling of this...

I don't recall ever being more disappointed in any politician than I have been this week.

This is inexcusable.

Just watched the press conference......

The General said that the places where the levy broke were NOT ever going to be upgraded even IF the Federal funds had been approved or not slashed.

Have fun politicizing this whole thing....I will be back when there are other assumptions that are being used incorrectly to fit your adjenda.

Trent Lott will rebuild, better than ever!!

I couldn't stand it...had to run somewhere and lay it down!

Dubya listens to the guys telling of the disaster at the Katrina survey briefing press deal this morning, shakes his head impatiently at the assessments and descriptions, looking at his feet chewing his lip, then starts to speak, presumably without much script for a change and fresh from his break on his acres, and tells us all how....how....

Trent Lott, who lost his house in the storm, *will* rebuild, and he will build a new fabulous house, better than before, and so will be the case for all of New Orleans (will the housing projects get better too, or the rinky-dink places so many other citizens of Louisiana rent and own?)....we will rebuild New Orleans.

It was sooo striking how the real disaster was the loss of the fine mansions, the carefully chosen decor, the grand lawns. Yes, he made some statement about how first off we need to get food and water to people, but the very next thing out of his mouth was this compassion for trent's loss, and the optimism that we will persevere and keep on keeping on with the fine large homes and shopping. Fight the terrorists, keep on shopping! Fight the forces of nature, invest in construction companies and don't forget all the new kitchen counters we'll need to make!

New Orleans itself, city I'd only been to once but found utterly intriguing, so reflects the issues here, vanities and ambitions and struggling to find some meaning under all the surface indulgences. And huge class and race issues of course. To me, Bush's words reflected how for him, the surface indulgences of his cronies *is* the meaning, or at least the first and foremost concern, despite his looking into the face of all that deep despair and loss. But then he really was avoiding eye contact, so maybe he just doesn't see it. I missed the later part of his statements, so maybe he redeemed himself and came up with something beyond the 'expectation of law and order' comments, something that touchs on the souls of those lost, on the human condition generally, something that goes beyond property rights. What a monumental (so many have said this devastation is of biblical proportions, and for a man who allegedly sees himself in such terms, it's sort of scary to see his response today) opportunity he missed to say something healing and inspiring...does anyone think he shed a tear about all this? Or at least felt bad about how apparently crappy the preparations were for a storm that everyone was waiting for?

I want a new president so badly it makes me cringe to hear this man speak...

whew...there...I feel better now!

BorderGirl said:
For those of you who are not American:
Although we are one big piece of land called the USA. Our country is comprised of "States" making up the larger country. Each state is self governing. They have their own unique set of laws, customs, even evacuation plans or lack there of.
The federal government---George Bush---is now following up on the lack of preparedness on the part of these states to evacuate the folks who did not have the means to get out. (the poor).
This lack of coordination was a problem on a State level.
The responsibility to move people out has now BECOME a Federal problem and thankfully help is getting in to come to the aid of our Gulf Coast brothers and sisters in need!

Are you kidding me? This was a federal issue the moment it was declared a disaster area, and that happened the day the hurricane hit! It has been the federal government's responsibility since then!

And I suggest you read up on the lack of preparedness, because our federal government was involved in terms of how much money was given to build those levees, which couldn't withstand a storm of this magnitude. With all the resources we use in places like Iraq, a little more money to make sure the levees can hold up to a Category 5 storm is not asking that much.

It's like the Titanic. They build a ship that holds a specific amount of people, but don't carry enough rescue boats for them in the event of an emergency. Only here, we build levees to protect New Orleans, but no, let's not make them strong enough to hold up against the strongest storms - let's only go half way.

Pathetic.

Dreadsox said:
Just watched the press conference......

The General said that the places where the levy broke were NOT ever going to be upgraded even IF the Federal funds had been approved or not slashed.

Have fun politicizing this whole thing....I will be back when there are other assumptions that are being used incorrectly to fit your adjenda.

I usually agree with you on several subjects, but on this, you disappoint me tremendously. That's all I have to say about that.

phanan said:

Dreadsox, I'm curious if you still feel this way given our administration's absolutely ridiculous handling of this...

I don't recall ever being more disappointed in any politician than I have been this week.

This is inexcusable.

I never said I was happy with it. But I think the politicization in this thread is beyond people being happy or unhappy.

But, I think there is an ocean of sharks in this thread looking to take advantage of the situation.

My relatives in NO were just bussed out yesterday. My wife's Uncle says he was not aware of how bad the situation was, and he was in Downtown NO.

The comparisons to the other hurricanes are redicluous in my opinion. They are not even close to similar situations with the city being below sea level.

If you can show me a satellite image of any other hurricane that has left the flooding that is in the images I have seen, then we can talk. There is no more devastating storm than we have seen this week.

And give me a break with the Jeb Bush comments.

Seriously, I just spent my week organizing some relief from my Lion's Club, My church, and my school......I do not have patience for this.

I am surprized that people hate him so much that they are making incorrect assumptions as mentioned in my prior post.

phanan said:

Are you kidding me? This was a federal issue the moment it was declared a disaster area, and that happened the day the hurricane hit! It has been the federal government's responsibility since then!

And I suggest you read up on the lack of preparedness, because our federal government was involved in terms of how much money was given to build those levees, which couldn't withstand a storm of this magnitude. With all the resources we use in places like Iraq, a little more money to make sure the levees can hold up to a Category 5 storm is not asking that much.

It's like the Titanic. They build a ship that holds a specific amount of people, but don't carry enough rescue boats for them in the event of an emergency. Only here, we build levees to protect New Orleans, but no, let's not make them strong enough to hold up against the strongest storms - let's only go half way.

Pathetic.

I was referring to the State Evacuation Plan. You know the mandatory one that was issued days in advance.
Of course it is in the hands of the feds as soon as it is declared a disaster area. duh!

Let's put this in language that people here will understand:

If a terrorist exploded dirty bombs on all of New Orleans' levees and the entire city needed to be evacuated, then what would you all say if people were sitting there four days later? Would we be saying this is a "state issue"? Would we be giving Bush a free pass for the lack of disaster planning? All we've gotten over the last four years is lectures on security this and security that, and four years later, the best we can do is prevent another 9/11. Pathetic.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom