MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #381
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I think I'm going to be sick...

Old 09-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #382
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

This guy...continues to appear more idiotic to me with each thing that comes out of his mouth. First off, as pointed out, not everyone had the ability to leave.

And second, again, even if people did have that ability, and yet didn't heed the warning, I still don't agree with this idea of "getting tough" on them. I would imagine there's lots of reasons why people don't leave, after all.

Angela
That's right, not everyone was able to leave. Some didn't have the transportation. They could have used those schoolbuses that got submerged under the floodwaters, this is a case of the locals screwing up. If you're going to mandate that everyone leave the city you've got to make sure they all have a way out. And as usual I don't like Santorum's comment. It makes no sense to "get tough" on people who couldn't leave. There's a story in my diocesan newsletter about some people at a Catholic boarding school in southern Mississippi who were not able to leave their school. They finally got rescued, a day later. I don't think anything should be done with these people other than helping them.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:21 AM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
That's right, not everyone was able to leave. Some didn't have the transportation. They could have used those schoolbuses that got submerged under the floodwaters, this is a case of the locals screwing up. If you're going to mandate that everyone leave the city you've got to make sure they all have a way out. And as usual I don't like Santorum's comment. It makes no sense to "get tough" on people who couldn't leave. There's a story in my diocesan newsletter about some people at a Catholic boarding school in southern Mississippi who were not able to leave their school. They finally got rescued, a day later. I don't think anything should be done with these people other than helping them.
*Nods* Exactly right, as usual, verte .

Also, Scarletwine, that's...a very weird story...wow.

So tonight, I saw that commercial in which a little girl was asking questions of her mom about what would happen in case of a terrorist attack or other things along those lines, and at the end, all it said was something along the lines of, "Everyone should have a plan", and in one of the bottom corners, you saw that the Homeland Security people supported the ad.

And I was sitting there thinking, "You first, guys."

Angela
Old 09-11-2005, 02:32 AM   #384
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:55 PM
amen sister!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #385
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:55 AM
'Getting tough' on people? Wow, gee, I wonder what tough measures you use on people who've lost everything.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #386
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/...eut/index.html

"Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast."
Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #387
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/...eut/index.html

"Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
This burns me up. It's not honest.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #388
Blue Crack Distributor

what about this administration is?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #389
Blue Crack Distributor

Got this from a friend today...

To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

On this, the fourth anniversary of 9/11, I'm just curious, how does it feel?

How does it feel to know that the man you elected to lead us after we were attacked went ahead and put a guy in charge of FEMA whose main qualification was that he ran horse shows?

That's right. Horse shows.

I really want to know -- and I ask you this in all sincerity and with all due respect -- how do you feel about the utter contempt Mr. Bush has shown for your safety? C'mon, give me just a moment of honesty. Don't start ranting on about how this disaster in New Orleans was the fault of one of the poorest cities in America. Put aside your hatred of Democrats and liberals and anyone with the last name of Clinton. Just look me in the eye and tell me our President did the right thing after 9/11 by naming a horse show runner as the top man to protect us in case of an emergency or catastrophe.

I want you to put aside your self-affixed label of Republican/conservative/born-again/capitalist/ditto-head/right-winger and just talk to me as an American, on the common ground we both call America.

Are we safer now than before 9/11? When you learn that behind the horse show runner, the #2 and #3 men in charge of emergency preparedness have zero experience in emergency preparedness, do you think we are safer?

When you look at Michael Chertoff, the head of Homeland Security, a man with little experience in national security, do you feel secure?

When men who never served in the military and have never seen young men die in battle send our young people off to war, do you think they know how to conduct a war? Do they know what it means to have your legs blown off for a threat that was never there?

Do you really believe that turning over important government services to private corporations has resulted in better services for the people?

Why do you hate our federal government so much? You have voted for politicians for the past 25 years whose main goal has been to de-fund the federal government. Do you think that cutting federal programs like FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers has been good or bad for America? GOOD OR BAD?

With the nation's debt at an all-time high, do you think tax cuts for the rich are still a good idea? Will you give yours back so hundreds of thousands of homeless in New Orleans can have a home?

Do you believe in Jesus? Really? Didn't he say that we would be judged by how we treat the least among us? Hurricane Katrina came in and blew off the facade that we were a nation with liberty and justice for all. The wind howled and the water rose and what was revealed was that the poor in America shall be left to suffer and die while the President of the United States fiddles and tells them to eat cake.

That's not a joke. The day the hurricane hit and the levees broke, Mr. Bush, John McCain and their rich pals were stuffing themselves with cake. A full day after the levees broke (the same levees whose repair funding he had cut), Mr. Bush was playing a guitar some country singer gave him. All this while New Orleans sank under water.

It would take ANOTHER day before the President would do a flyover in his jumbo jet, peeking out the widow at the misery 2500 feet below him as he flew back to his second home in DC. It would then be TWO MORE DAYS before a trickle of federal aid and troops would arrive. This was no seven minutes in a sitting trance while children read "My Pet Goat" to him. This was FOUR DAYS of doing nothing other than saying "Brownie (FEMA director Michael Brown), you're doing a heck of a job!"

My Republican friends, does it bother you that we are the laughing stock of the world?

And on this sacred day of remembrance, do you think we honor or shame those who died on 9/11/01? If we learned nothing and find ourselves today every bit as vulnerable and unprepared as we were on that bright sunny morning, then did the 3,000 die in vain?

Our vulnerability is not just about dealing with terrorists or natural disasters. We are vulnerable and unsafe because we allow one in eight Americans to live in horrible poverty. We accept an education system where one in six children never graduate and most of those who do can't string a coherent sentence together. The middle class can't pay the mortgage or the hospital bills and 45 million have no health coverage whatsoever.

Are we safe? Do you really feel safe? You can only move so far out and build so many gated communities before the fruit of what you've sown will be crashing through your walls and demanding retribution. Do you really want to wait until that happens? Or is it your hope that if they are left alone long enough to soil themselves and shoot themselves and drown in the filth that fills the street that maybe the problem will somehow go away?

I know you know better. You gave the country and the world a man who wasn't up for the job and all he does is hire people who aren't up for the job. You did this to us, to the world, to the people of New Orleans. Please fix it. Bush is yours. And you know, for our peace and safety and security, this has to be fixed. What do you propose?

I have an idea, and it isn't a horse show.

Yours,
Michael Moore
www.michaelmoore.com
mmflint@aol.com
Old 09-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #390
Blue Crack Distributor

sorry, I couldn't resist...
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict

HA! I was just about to post that, I saw it on snopes.com...absolutely hilarious.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #392
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh my God, I finally get why that Bush screencap is so funny.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #393
Blue Crack Addict

pathetic

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politic...hisplead_2.htm

Some senior Democratic strategists are starting to sound like bitter Republicans when it comes to grumbling about President Bush 's teaming of his dad with Bill Clinton to raise Katrina aid. Republicans whined first when the tag team was formed after the tsunami. Their worry: Bush's move was helping to rehabilitate Clinton's image among his critics. Now Democrats believe Clinton's help on Katrina is a de facto endorsement of Bush's handling of the crisis. "It's killing us," said a consultant.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #394
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Got this from a friend today...

To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

I have an idea, and it isn't a horse show.

Yours,
Michael Moore

This is finally a good letter from Michael Moore again. Some others were real liberal whining, I didn´t like some of his actions after his - absolutely brilliant - first flic Columbine high school massacre.

However this letter is well done. It asks the right questions.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #395
Blue Crack Addict

The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed

Quote:
It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

"Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."
Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #396
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
pathetic

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politic...hisplead_2.htm

Some senior Democratic strategists are starting to sound like bitter Republicans when it comes to grumbling about President Bush 's teaming of his dad with Bill Clinton to raise Katrina aid. Republicans whined first when the tag team was formed after the tsunami. Their worry: Bush's move was helping to rehabilitate Clinton's image among his critics. Now Democrats believe Clinton's help on Katrina is a de facto endorsement of Bush's handling of the crisis. "It's killing us," said a consultant.
That is lame. Let them work together. The people getting help is much more important right now than whether or not parties *gasp* mix, let alone why they're mixing!

Angela
Old 09-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed

Quote:
The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.
Of course he wasn't in the Superdome, but it seemed fast to him .

And saying the aid was faster than it was for Hugo and Andrew isn't saying much. Those respones we so successful, weren't they.

Never heard of Iniki or Francine.

And we went through Jeanne. Lost power and a few trees went down, big deal.

And about the buses. Who's going to drive them? Bus driver's are county employees, this would have to be planned ahead of time. Yes, the mayor could have asked ahead of time, but he would have to have the cooperation of other branches of goverment. But then, where are they going to go? If they went to the Superdome, we'd still have the same problems. If not there, then the govenor has to find a place ahead of time. Was their fuel for the buses? What if they decided to use fuel for other emergency vehicles?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #398
War Child

That was an interesting article, with some, if little merit- especially since it can't even get its own facts straight while shilling for Bush.

Reminder: The levees began to break MONDAY morning; a full 48 hours before Bush decided to call off his vacation.

Meanwhile, today Bush directly lied to the public again, repeating the same crap that Chertoff, Brown, and even General Myers continue to try to pull on the public, that somehow no one "expected" the storm to be so bad, how that all the "newspapers" say NO had "dodged" a bullet on that Tuesday morning...
Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't know where to post this but apparently Sean Penn was pictured in the NY Post going around on his mission in NO while carrying a shotgun

Old 09-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #400
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3830037

"Bush administration officials have said Katrina's damage could not have been anticipated, but Gore rejected that.

"What happened was not only knowable, it was known in advance, in great and painstaking detail. They did tabletop planning exercises. They identified exactly what the scientific evidence showed would take place," Gore said."