MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pathetic :down:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politics/whispers/articles/050919/19whisplead_2.htm

Some senior Democratic strategists are starting to sound like bitter Republicans when it comes to grumbling about President Bush 's teaming of his dad with Bill Clinton to raise Katrina aid. Republicans whined first when the tag team was formed after the tsunami. Their worry: Bush's move was helping to rehabilitate Clinton's image among his critics. Now Democrats believe Clinton's help on Katrina is a de facto endorsement of Bush's handling of the crisis. "It's killing us," said a consultant.

Lila64 said:
Got this from a friend today...

To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

I have an idea, and it isn't a horse show.

Yours,
Michael Moore

This is finally a good letter from Michael Moore again. Some others were real liberal whining, I didn´t like some of his actions after his - absolutely brilliant - first flic Columbine high school massacre.

However this letter is well done. It asks the right questions.

The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed

It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

"Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

MrsSpringsteen said:
pathetic :down:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politics/whispers/articles/050919/19whisplead_2.htm

Some senior Democratic strategists are starting to sound like bitter Republicans when it comes to grumbling about President Bush 's teaming of his dad with Bill Clinton to raise Katrina aid. Republicans whined first when the tag team was formed after the tsunami. Their worry: Bush's move was helping to rehabilitate Clinton's image among his critics. Now Democrats believe Clinton's help on Katrina is a de facto endorsement of Bush's handling of the crisis. "It's killing us," said a consultant.

That is lame. Let them work together. The people getting help is much more important right now than whether or not parties *gasp* mix, let alone why they're mixing!

Angela

nbcrusader said:

The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.

Of course he wasn't in the Superdome, but it seemed fast to him :rolleyes:.

And saying the aid was faster than it was for Hugo and Andrew isn't saying much. Those respones we so successful, weren't they.

Never heard of Iniki or Francine.

And we went through Jeanne. Lost power and a few trees went down, big deal.

And about the buses. Who's going to drive them? Bus driver's are county employees, this would have to be planned ahead of time. Yes, the mayor could have asked ahead of time, but he would have to have the cooperation of other branches of goverment. But then, where are they going to go? If they went to the Superdome, we'd still have the same problems. If not there, then the govenor has to find a place ahead of time. Was their fuel for the buses? What if they decided to use fuel for other emergency vehicles?

Last edited:
That was an interesting article, with some, if little merit- especially since it can't even get its own facts straight while shilling for Bush.

Reminder: The levees began to break MONDAY morning; a full 48 hours before Bush decided to call off his vacation.

Meanwhile, today Bush directly lied to the public again, repeating the same crap that Chertoff, Brown, and even General Myers continue to try to pull on the public, that somehow no one "expected" the storm to be so bad, how that all the "newspapers" say NO had "dodged" a bullet on that Tuesday morning...

Last edited:
I didn't know where to post this but apparently Sean Penn was pictured in the NY Post going around on his mission in NO while carrying a shotgun

penn.jpg

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3830037

"Bush administration officials have said Katrina's damage could not have been anticipated, but Gore rejected that.

"What happened was not only knowable, it was known in advance, in great and painstaking detail. They did tabletop planning exercises. They identified exactly what the scientific evidence showed would take place," Gore said."

Scarletwine said:
I wasn't sure where to put this. It is very disturbing to me.
I'm not sure what type of website this is, but the author is a Christian woman from Oklahoma, not a hotbed of liberalism.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/fema.html

I just got back from a FEMA Detainment Camp

Scarletwine, although for once I'll say I agree with your frustration in this case, I think this one comes down to good old fashioned bureaucracy. Also, I can imagine sparks would fly if the Southern Baptist Association of a state like Oklahoma were given direct access to the evacuees and allowed to give them a ride to church services.

~U2Alabama

MrsSpringsteen said:
I didn't know where to post this but apparently Sean Penn was pictured in the NY Post going around on his mission in NO while carrying a shotgun

Based on past incidents, a photographer must be quite brave to confront a gun-toting Sean Penn. Didn't he have a punch-the-photographer incident when he was with Madonna? I am glad he's helping thought.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

Didn't he have a punch-the-photographer incident when he was with Madonna? I am glad he's helping thought.

~U2Alabama

Yeah that was a classical scene.. Madonna marrying Sean and the TV station helicopters flying so low that they couldn´t understand. Sean was very, very angry. At some other occasion, he beat up one of them.

sulawesigirl4 said:
:mad:

Arguing with my mom over IM. Oh yeah, let's not "politicize" it...it wasn't Bush's fault, blah blah blah. Hello mom...the idiot that YOU voted for is a real winner!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Suli-
i like your ma.
I knew there was something special about you.
:hug:

db9
:wink:

U2Bama said:

Based on past incidents, a photographer must be quite brave to confront a gun-toting Sean Penn. Didn't he have a punch-the-photographer incident when he was with Madonna? I am glad he's helping thought.

~U2Alabama

Gun-toting Sean Penn?? Does that make him a merc??

U2Bama said:

~U2Alabama

Gutsy OK. I don't think I would try to photograph the guy. I'm glad he's helping too.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050914-120153-3878r.htm

"House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said yesterday that Republicans have done so well in cutting spending that he declared an "ongoing victory," and said there is simply no fat left to cut in the federal budget.

Mr. DeLay was defending Republicans' choice to borrow money and add to this year's expected $331 billion deficit to pay for Hurricane Katrina relief. Some Republicans have said Congress should make cuts in other areas, but Mr. DeLay said that doesn't seem possible. "

sorry for the fat farm thing, that's Page Six for you

September 19, 2005 -- FRESH out of a Florida fat farm, filmmaker Michael Moore has followed Sean Penn's mud-caked footsteps down to New Orleans to help with Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. "He's doing wonders in terms of distributing provisions," a reliable source tells us. It's not known whether the "Bowling for Columbine" director was trawling with documentary cameras. Moore's flack did not return calls. But it would be no surprise. In an open letter to President Bush earlier this month, the liberal heavy blamed the delay in government help for hurricane victims on "race and class" and ranted, "Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days?"

:| now Katrina is being linked to the war on terror

"You know, something we -- I've been thinking a lot about how America has responded, and it's clear to me that Americans value human life, and value every person as important. And that stands in stark contrast, by the way, to the terrorists we have to deal with. You see, we look at the destruction caused by Katrina, and our hearts break. They're the kind of people who look at Katrina and wish they had caused it. We're in a war against these people. It's a war on terror. These are evil men who target the suffering. They killed 3,000 people on September the 11th, 2001. And they've continued to kill. See, sometimes we forget about the evil deeds of these people. They've killed in Madrid, and Istanbul, and Baghdad, and Bali, and London, and Sharm el-Sheikh, and Jerusalem, and Tel Aviv. Around the world they continue to kill."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050921-1.html

Katrina IS linked to the war on terror. But not in the way W likes. I'm just waiting for someone to print up a study on what proportion of tropps in Iraq right now are Gulf Coasters from "working class" familes....And don't tell me Blanco's stupidity was the only reason there was National Guard in NOLA. One -third of their force was in Iraq the end of August./

PS. Since no-one has started a seperate thread on it, Let's say a prater for any Texans opn here...Thnak God, He must have whispered in the band's ear when they set up the tour schedule: "thou shalt NOT play any date in the Southern US (esp Houston) until hurricane season is officially over.:)

Famed US filmmaker Spike Lee is reportedly to produce and direct a new documentary about the deadly aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in flood-stricken New Orleans.

Lee, 48, the maker of such hit feature films as "Malcolm X" (1992) and "Do the Right Thing" (1989), is to make "When the Levee Broke" for the US HBO cable television channel, the network told Daily Variety.

No details of the project were immediately available, however. Lee is currently putting the final touches on his latest film, "The Inside Man", starring Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster and Clive Owen.

www.breitbart.com

Bomb, not Katrina, broke dikes: Farrakhan
Oct 13

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan fueled a rumor that explosives, not Hurricane Katrina, broke New Orleans' dikes and flooded poor African American neighborhoods.

"A member of the Army Corps of Engineers saw burn marks on the concrete," Farrakhan told reporters, describing an e-mail he had received.

"They found two types of explosives used by the military," he said, without naming the source, adding that an eight-meter (25-foot) crater had been blown in the dike.

Farrakhan said locals had reported sounds of explosions, among other things, leading him to believe the rumors should be investigated.

"Wickedness exists in high places," he said. "The duty of the government is to prove the rumor to be false or that these suspicions are true."

The Chicago-based Nation of Islam is an offshoot of Islam. Farrakhan has earned headlines with controversial statements about Jews and homosexuals.

He also attacked the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Red Cross.

"FEMA is insensitive, there are not enough blacks high up. The Red Cross, too. It's too white, it is! Racism poisoned the bloodstream of politics," he said.

"Don't think it's non existent in the Red Cross or FEMA," he said.

Back
Top Bottom