MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trevster2k said:
Katrina victims anguished at leaving behind pets
Last Updated Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:21:09 EDT
CBC News

As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from Lindy Boggs Medical Center in New Orleans, her rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her two dogs.
NEW ORLEANS - SEPTEMBER 03: Donnie Panarello Sr. (R) and Donnie Panarello Jr. (L) pull dogs Chance (2nd R) and Buddy down a flooded street as they evacuate the hard-hit Chalmette community of Saint Bernard's Parish September 3, 2005 in New Orleans. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse said Saturday.

They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

It's a scene that's been repeated over and over again during the past week: rescued pet owners, forced to leave their animals behind.

In an oft-repeated story reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from a little boy waiting to get on a bus leaving New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

Some at the medical centre, fearing their animals would starve without them, asked a doctor to euthanize them. He improvised a makeshift gas chamber by wrapping a dog kennel in plastic.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,"' said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

The Bennetts ended up leaving their dogs with the anesthesiologist, who had promised to care for people's pets - about 30 in total - on the roof of the centre.

"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," said Valerie Bennett, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital. She said that Saturday, he was still there, according to a posting on the PetFinder web site.

Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy, who was helping with relief efforts Saturday, said some hurricane victims were refusing to leave without their pets.

"One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,"' Kennedy said.

He said he persuaded refugees to get on the bus by telling them he would have the animals taken to an exhibition centre.

The U.S. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up two cats and 15 dogs, including one Kennedy found tied up beneath the overpass next to an unopened can of dog food with a sign that read "Please take care of my dog, his name is Chucky."

The fate of pets is a huge but underappreciated cause of anguish for storm survivors, said Richard Garfield, professor of international clinical nursing at New York's Columbia University.

"People in shelters are worried about 'Did Fluffy get out?"' he said. "It's very distressing for people, wondering if their pets are isolated or starving."

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.

On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them.

They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.

"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.

These poor people have suffered such emotional, psychological and physical trauma and most don't have the means to address the issues which will affect them for the rest of their lives. First, they are unable to leave the danger zone, then they suffer the horrors of experiencing the hurricane, then the floods come, then they are moved to a place where they hope help is coming, none shows up for days. As the story above describes, many have the added anguish of having to give up their beloved pets which we all know is very difficult. And now, after all this chaos and suffering, they must come to terms with fact that they have lost everything including many loved ones. I hope that the authorities don't overlook the emotional well-being of these people.

:sad:

This breaks my heart. I saw a report on NBC yesterday where a reporter tried to give an abandoned dog some water. The dog was frightened and started yelping and barking at the reporter. I cried so hard after seeing that. :sad:

These animals are so helpless, and as a pet owner myself I feel for their owners.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Yeah, really. NOT. :down:

I'm sorry, but this really is the last straw for me. They're living things, too. If that were your dog out there, wouldn't you have tried to save him?

I thought there were organizations who would adopt or foster out animals who have been separated or unable to reunited with owners.

anitram said:
This is an administration which had Congress fly back in the dead of night to try and keep alive a corpse and a President who joined them. Do you remember all the hullaballoo about how it's inhumane to have her dehydrated? Where is the outrage now?

I just don't get it. The Canadian government has offered aid and our military. If Bush isn't going to get his act together then let other people willing to help step in. Because this looks ridiculous. I'm ashamed it's allowed to happen on our continent at all!

This is shameful. Just tonight at mass there were some refugees from southern Mississippi. The s:censored:t they've been through is unbelievable. In a very small way I'm a participant in the whole situation. This has me very pissed off.

pax said:
Amen.

It's somehow less inhumane that THOUSANDS of people are dying of starvation and dehydration?

Get on this, Bush administration.

I never thought I'd see this scale of people starving in the streets of one of our major cities. Honestly............

:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Abomb-baby said:
WASHINGTON POST !!!! FEDS URGED GOVERNOR BLANCO TO ACT... SHE REFUSED!!!!!

Micheal Moore will eat his words.......

Looks like the President suspected that the locals were no Rudy Guiliani and Bernie Kerrick and requested that Blanco and Nagin sign the paperwork get out of the way..... they didnt till it was too late.....

Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state’s emergency operations center said Saturday.

[/url]

This was this Friday. It was already too late by Friday. Their just trying for damage control, to shift the blame around.

White House Shifts Blame to State and Local Officials

Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

"Everybody shares the blame here," said Thomas. "But when you talk about the mightiest government in the world, that's a ludicrous and lame excuse. You're FEMA, and you're the big dog. And you weren't prepared either."

Last edited:
It was ONE WEEK AGO FRIDAY!!!! Not 48 Hours AGO. It was 48 Hours before the storm hit the Bush Administration asked for control. The Governor refused thinking they could rely on help from the states around them, not thinking it would be this massive.

Dreadsox said:
It was ONE WEEK AGO FRIDAY!!!! Not 48 Hours AGO. It was 48 Hours before the storm hit the Bush Administration asked for control. The Governor refused thinking they could rely on help from the states around them, not thinking it would be this massive.

No need to yell, I read it the other way. I'm not saying your wrong, but the article does not say a week ago Friday, it just says Friday.

Last edited:
Having read the article too, how are we supposed to know what Friday they are talking about. It is ambiguous but reads like Friday past to me.

trevster2k said:
Having read the article too, how are we supposed to know what Friday they are talking about. It is ambiguous but reads like Friday past to me.

Hmmm....

I hate newspaper articles....

Maybe I am wrong....

:ohmy:

I read this article first thing this morning. I was so pissed after I read it.....

I am 100% convinced the article has been changed.

[Q]A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26. [/Q]

My apologies for coming out strong...I seriously think it has been tampered with since 7:30 this morning. It no longer reads the way I read it this morning. I am positive it said LAST FRIDAY. It no longer says that.

nbcrusader said:

It is sad that you make assumptions about how I feel. You can claim we should have done this or that until you are blue in the face. But it won't help one person in the Gulf Coast area today.

I'd say most of us here don't know the complexity of coordinating all the relief efforts, yet we are abundantly blessed with the gift of criticism.

And it will help more by not saying anything at all?

I don't find it too complex to get simple supplies to people within a day of a major disaster such as this. You act immediately and quickly. Unfortunately, things didn't go that way, and that is very upsetting. Society demands answers for these serious miscalculations.

phanan said:

I don't find it too complex to get simple supplies to people within a day of a major disaster such as this. You act immediately and quickly. Unfortunately, things didn't go that way, and that is very upsetting. Society demands answers for these serious miscalculations.

Phanan, in a bunch of previous Hurricane situations in the 90's....what i've heard is about Floyd and Georges.......and one other...{don't remember name] there was what is called pre-postioning.

that means vehicals, supplies of various types { for this amphibious/or high-wayer vehicals} would be brought closer to the area of the Hurricane's path- with leeway in case tghe stiorm changes direction-- so that once it has hit and left, alot of basic necessity supplies [water, food, medicines and perhaps specialized physical gear for recuers and emergeny repairs would also be there or soon after] would be Soooo much closer to arrive.

The feds sent a hospital ship down from Baltimore..... do you know wehen it left???

THis past Fri! :tsk: :mad: utter shame!

If I see that smart-assed Michael Moore letter again, I'm going to repeatedly start posting photos of U.S. military helicopters performing rescue operations, and I'll post them more frequently than sting2 posts about the U.N. Security Council resolutions.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I'll post them more frequently than sting2 posts about the U.N. Security Council resolutions.

Uncle! :wink:

Frankly, I found MM's letter to be rather pedestrian.

U2Bama said:
If I see that smart-assed Michael Moore letter again, I'm going to repeatedly start posting photos of U.S. military helicopters performing rescue operations, and I'll post them more frequently than sting2 posts about the U.N. Security Council resolutions.

~U2Alabama

Yeah. I like some of MMs flics but this "opened letter" was so predictable.

I think the U.S. Navy is the only national body that hasn´t totally failed in this rescue operation. :up:

Good things are being said about Gen. Honore. They should have started the heli rescue thing 2 or 3 days earlier, but I can see how difficult it must have been to get the ships there. Still, it´s so saddening that for many a thousand simple American citizens it is too late.

dazzledbylight said:

The feds sent a hospital ship down from Baltimore..... do you know wehen it left???

THis past Fri! utter shame!

The floating hospital COMFORT sits dockside in Baltimore and typically takes 5 days to be prepared to be deployed. It was activated Wednesday, and was being expedited to be ready to leave for the Gulf Coast on Saturday (which would have been 4 days). If in fact it left on Friday, that was actually 3 days, which is 2 days quicker than typical prep time:

BALTIMORE -- The U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), based here, was activated Aug. 31 in support of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) efforts to provide medical support in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
Comfort, one of the largest trauma facilities in the United States, is being readied quickly for her mission and is expected to get underway for the Gulf Coast by September 3.

Comfort is normally kept at Baltimore's Canton Pier in reduced operating status with a cadre crew of 18 civil service mariners who maintain the vessel, as well as a hospital support staff of 58 military personnel who care for the ship’s hospital facilities, equipment and supplies. When called to action, the ship is designed to be activated, crewed, mission-ready and able to sail in five days.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

They should have started the heli rescue thing 2 or 3 days earlier, but I can see how difficult it must have been to get the ships there. Still, it´s so saddening that for many a thousand simple American citizens it is too late.

The hurricane hit on Monday morning; the levee breaks occurred on Tuesday, and the major flooding int he bowl began thereafter. The helicopter rescues began on Tuesday.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

The hurricane hit on Monday morning; the levee breaks occurred on Tuesday, and the major flooding int he bowl began thereafter. The helicopter rescues began on Tuesday.

~U2Alabama

Yes, but for the big heli rescue operation they had to wait until Saturday 3rd October if I´m not mistaken. There were a few helis around in the previous days, but they were shot at etc. - the big operation - every 30 seconds a helicopter starting - , where they drop supplies at each and every roof, the big scale U.S. Navy operation started only on Saturday, according to my information. Which is natural because most of the ships, including the carriers, needed a couple of days to get there.

I'm not sure about a particular "big" operation, but I do know the Georgia National Guard sent 30 Chinook helicopters down on Tuesday or Wednesday. These were land based and would not have required a carrier. Coast Guard Stations Mobile, New Orleans and Houston all have permanent choppers stationed there and were in the immediate operations; I also saw Navy, Marine and Airforce PaveHawks and Army Blackhawks as early as Tuesday and Wednesday.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I'm not sure about a particular "big" operation,

~U2Alabama

Sure, like I said, there were some helis around before of Saturday, but I referred to the largest airlift in U.S. history. If this only could have been done on Tuesday or Wednesday instead of Saturday/ Sunday (when they had two runways).

edited to add: I just read that Operation Air Care was a civilian operation in cooperation with agencies.

Last edited:
Helicopters don't require runways. They utilize vertical takeoffs and landings, which I still believe they have been doing in the area since mid-week.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
Helicopters don't require runways. They utilize vertical takeoffs and landings, which I still believe they have been doing in the area since mid-week.

~U2Alabama

Yes, indeed. My wrong. In the TV news over here (Central Europe) they produced the feature as if the major airlift yesterday had been organized mainly by the U.S. Navy and with helicopters. Apparently, it´s not like that.

U2Bama said:
The floating hospital COMFORT sits dockside in Baltimore and typically takes 5 days to be prepared to be deployed. It was activated Wednesday, and was being expedited to be ready to leave for the Gulf Coast on Saturday (which would have been 4 days). If in fact it left on Friday, that was actually 3 days, which is 2 days quicker than typical prep time

With a category 5 (at the time) headed toward NO causing a mandatory evacuation on Sat, Aug 27th, why wasn't COMFORT prepping that very day in order to be deployed within 48 hours of the end of Katrina in the Gulf area????

Because....

Being very expensive to deploy and the chance that Katrina would either reduce in severity or veer off path (as many hurricanes in the past have done) COMFORT may not actually have been needed so SOMEONE decided to take that risk and gamble thousands of lives versus hundreds of thousands of dollars...and lost.

And ultimately, it's just part of a mired web that will let all those who are responsible for the failings of the aftermath off the hook.

AliEnvy said:

Being very expensive to deploy and the chance that Katrina would either reduce in severity or veer off path (as many hurricanes in the past have done) COMFORT may not actually have been needed so SOMEONE decided to take that risk and gamble thousands of lives versus hundreds of thousands of dollars...and lost.

And ultimately, it's just part of a mired web that will let all those who are responsible for the failings of the aftermath off the hook.

Right; similar to how the local officials didn't head everyone without transportation out of NOLA on the schoolbuses.

If more people had evacuated prior to the hurricane making landfall and impacting NOLA, the need for COMFORT would not have been as imminent. Should COMFORT be deployed everytime a hurricane enters the Gulf? I heard nothing of it during Dennis when very few people were killed. And I'm asking honestly because you do bring up a good point. Maybe it should be standing by and prepared to deploy instantaneously any time a hurricane takes aim.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom