MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
The Last 72 Hours (Or So): ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting Here Please

A request from your friendly neighborhood FYM mod...

As the election in the U.S. draws tantalizingly near, I expect a great many more threads here in FYM discussing the topic. For this reason, I would like to condense ALL the election-related posts (polling, individual voting experiences, ballot-counting, news and views on candidates, international reaction... etc. etc.) into THIS THREAD ONLY.

This will keep FYM uncluttered and will allow those folks looking for election musings to do some one-stop shopping. This thread will stay stuck until maybe a day or two after Election Day so everyone has a chance to post reactions about results.

Please also keep in mind that the new forum policy calls for large threads to be closed after 500-600 posts, although if we can keep this thread free of pictures (sorry, U2democrat) or large blocks of text from other sources, we can probably let it go a little longer, as I anticipate bazillions of replies.

If you have information that directly pertains to a thread that's already going (e.g. new John Edwards pics, some thoughts on terrorism threats just before the election), you may post them in the existing thread. Otherwise, please post them here.

I know I speak for all the mods when I add that I am, by and large, totally impressed by the class that has been shown by both sides of the debate in FYM in the past months. Although we've had a few heated moments, we closed far fewer threads than I think we would have expected, and some touchy issues have been handled with aplomb. We really appreciate everyone's cool-headedness and smarts.

:applaud:

That said, let's get to it!

PA polls have Bush and Kerry in a dead heat...STILL!!!

Last edited:
We will need to have an amusing drink related election thread as well as the obligatory "Yeah we won we rock!" and "OMFG I cannot believe that our candidate sucked so much" and the perennial favourite "Kill All The Lawyers" (I really hope that we dont need that one).

Heres hoping for a Bush victory - vote once and make sure that nobody votes often :wink:

Last edited:
I'll be so relieved when this eight-month campaignathon is over I really don't know how emotional I'll be about the outcome. I guess I'll find out.

There was a column by Michael Goodwin in my hometown paper this morning about campaign fatigue. I have to say, it was dead-on.

State by state drinking thread could work, now the thing here is that we could go into the type of drink being proportional to the EC for that particular state - but in this case the dems will be drinking poisonous beverages for states like CA. Oh the possibilities :hmm:

You all know where I stand on the issue of who to elect
|
|
V

Re: The Last 72 Hours (Or So): ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting Here Please

paxetaurora said:
A request from your friendly neighborhood FYM mod...
Please also keep in mind that the new forum policy calls for large threads to be closed after 500-600 posts, although if we can keep this thread free of pictures (sorry, U2democrat) or large blocks of text from other sources, we can probably let it go a little longer, as I anticipate bazillions of replies.

its ok! i was getting lazy anyway :shrug:

paxetaurora said:
There was a column by Michael Goodwin in my hometown paper this morning about campaign fatigue. I have to say, it was dead-on.

I feel like doing something to protest the length of our campaign seasons, but it wouldn't do any good. The media would start hating my guts quick. The idea wouldn't go over well with the partisan big shots either.

Re: The Last 72 Hours (Or So): ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting Here Please

paxetaurora said:
I know I speak for all the mods when I add that I am, by and large, totally impressed by the class that has been shown by both sides of the debate in FYM in the past months. Although we've had a few heated moments, we closed far fewer threads than I think we would have expected, and some touchy issues have been handled with aplomb. We really appreciate everyone's cool-headedness and smarts.

:yes: :up:

verte76 said:
I feel like doing something to protest the length of our campaign seasons, but it wouldn't do any good. The media would start hating my guts quick. The idea wouldn't go over well with the partisan big shots either.

Doesn't the UK have a one-month long campaign? Maybe not that short but not anything this long. I'm so ready for this to be over with. I knew who I was going to vote for a year ago.

sharky said:

Doesn't the UK have a one-month long campaign? Maybe not that short but not anything this long. I'm so ready for this to be over with. I knew who I was going to vote for a year ago.

Yeah, their campaigns are a matter of weeks, usually four or five. Certain factors sure have screwed up our election cycle if you ask me. I'm ready for all of this :censored: to be over, too.

sharky said:

I knew who i was going to support four years ago. ABB!

I made calls to get out the vote & supporting Kerry today. I live in Bush country (rural OH) but was pleasantly suprised at the the number of Kerry voters.
Not one person mentioned terrorism as their main concern.

PS up nationally by one since yesterdays even rank.

If the US Presidential, is super close, will either party accept it?

Election 2000 left a bitter taste in my mouth. It was super close. IMO, after 4 years and research that was done by the media and other think tanks, Bush IMO won the election. Think tanks and the media have said that nearly every type of count would have indicated the Bush won Florida. Thats in the past. IMO, the Florida fiasco hurt the executive branch and the US to some degree. However thats all fine and dandy.

We have a new election that from all indications could be close if not even way closer than the last election. The swing states appear to be the deciding factor. If Bush or Kerry won the election by a close margin with several swing states showing ties (the candidate wins the state by a really close margin e.g couple hundred to a few thousand votes), do you believe the losing candidate (maybe your candidate) should demand recounts in all those really close states or sue for recounts (some states by law maybe might not allow for a recount)?

IMO if the race is super close like that, I believe the losing candidate should just concede and accept the final results IMO, even if the above possibilty happens. What does everyone else think?

An article mentions, "Richard Nixon would have captured the 1960 presidential election but for five states he lost by 5,000 votes or fewer – Missouri, Illinois, Nevada, New Mexico and Hawaii. Gerald Ford would have retained the presidency in 1976 but for two states he lost by no more than 5,600 votes – Ohio and Hawaii.

Though the 1960 and 1976 elections were close, though they turned on a few thousand votes in a handful of states, the outcomes were faithfully accepted by the American people, by Republicans and Democrats alike."

Both candidates should take a cue from Nixon and Ford IMO. However I have a feeling that won't be the case. :(

Another update...

This thread is sort of the randoomdumdumdum for the election-minded--you can post thoughts, reactions, comments, whatever (in accordance with our nice policies, LOL). The other "stuck" thread (DaveC's "play-by-play" thread) is for NEWS ONLY (exit polling, voting day incidents, what have you) for those of you who work during the day and want to use FYM for continuous updates (like, if you can't get your CNN fix at work). That way you don't have to slag through jokes, mental riffs, etc.

I think this will work okay. Thank you for your cooperation. :)

We have hundreds of scientists working at the institute. The Americans (grad students or post-docs) who are in labs on our floor have all voted, and not a single one for Bush. Yeehaw!

I gotta love my grandma. She's 80 yrs old, and lives in a rural pocket of central NY State that is solidly Republican. Every Election season she recives a visit at her house from a nice little old lady from the local Rep National Committee office giving her a friendly heads up, alittle teatime social call, on how to vote. She always tells her that she will vote for the Rep. candidate, she's a registered Republican--I guess you have to be if everyone else in toen is--but she ALWAYS votes Democratic anyway!I wish u2sermos.com could post a listing of sermons from chruches nationswide from tomorrow morning.

Should be some INTERESTING sermons.

Then again, judging Bush's social agenda vis a vis the seperation of chruch and state, maybe not.

Last edited:
une4293.jpg

Look out, I smell a CBS exclusive from these genuine documents that I dug up from my special source.

Date: Thurs October 28, 2004
To: karl@satan.net
Subject: new videotaping we have

Yo, Rovemeister!

Is Osama here. How you do? Hope all is well with campaign for evil, etc. (How about that John Kerry wife - the crazy one. Two burkas for her at least! Kerry, he was surely wearing the fermented hummous goggles when they wed!)

Anyways, maybe can help campaign with new video, featuring me in star role. See attachmented clip below.

Yours in happiness,

Osama

Date: Thurs October 28, 2004
To: binny@toraboradeathcave.com
Subject: re: new videotaping we have

Osama, you old dog!

By all means, please release this video ASAP. And, as we’ve previously discussed, for every percentage point we gain in the swing states we’ll send you another kidney we’ve harvested from murdered Democrats in Florida.

Best wishes,

Karl
I swear that these are accurate.

Poll Date Bush/Cheney Kerry/Edwards Nader/Camejo Spread
RCP Average 10/25-10/30 48.1% 46.0% 1.0% Bush +2.1
ARG (1258 LV) 10/28 - 10/30 48% 48% 1% TIE
FOX News (1200 LV) 10/28 - 10/29 47% 45% 1% Bush +2
Newsweek (882 LV) 10/27 - 10/29 50% 44% 1% Bush +6
Reuters/Zogby (1203 LV) 10/27 - 10/29 46% 47% 2% Kerry +1
ABC/Wash Post (2047 LV)* 10/26 - 10/29 49% 48% 0% Bush +1
TIPP (792 LV) 10/26 - 10/29 46% 44% 2% Bush +2
GW/Battleground (1000 LV) 10/25 - 10/28 51% 46% 0% Bush +5