MERGED-->The Kerry Blunder+If you're in the military...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
this reminds me of the time when Lynne Cheney said it was a "tawdry trick" when Kerry said nice things about how much they love their daughter.

:lol: That certainly says a lot, doesn't it.

oh i love how much fun news networks are having with this. :rolleyes:

i see no reason not to believe that he simply messed up his line. what he claims to have meant fits much better in the context, and it just wouldn't make sense for him as a veteran to intentionally say something negative about soldiers.

but of course let's blow this all out of proportion, i'm sure they're wetting themselves at fox.

It sounds like Kerry was referring to Bush, not the troops.

Regardless, Kerry should know better not to make comments that could be very easily contorted. That was the entire 2004 election, after all.

Melon

I am so pissed at the meanness and cowardness of the Republican party, but even more so, at people who care more about their party winning, then what is really going on in America and Iraq.
If you take the time to research what exactly Senators and Congressman have participated in, positions they have backed, and what they are striving to accomplish, you wouldn't need to listen to trash from so called news reports like the ones that show out of context statements. That's just bad for America.

I am the daughter of a 20-year Air Force veteran who got his college degree while he was in the service, and I am not offended by Kerry's remarks.

Swifboaters smearing a Purple Heart recipient? Now that's what I call offensive.

melon said:

Regardless, Kerry should know better not to make comments that could be very easily contorted. That was the entire 2004 election, after all.

Melon

yeah it's all very frustrating though isn't it. :crack:
it's like you have to pray they'll just shut their mouths and not say anything too needlessly damaging before the election.

Irvine511 said:
this reminds me of the time when Lynne Cheney said it was a "tawdry trick" when Kerry said nice things about how much they love their daughter.

just had to get a dig in at poor mary cheney

they love her the way she is
they are good decent folks
what kind of parent would not love their child because of something like a birth defect

and again, shame on kerry for exploiting mary's specialness

phanan said:
What an idiotic thing for Kerry to say, and to do it a week before Election Day.

Democrats shooting themselves in the foot again...

I agree...

If I were running for office and he offered to campaign for me, I would say please go elsewhere.

I do not see the joke. I do not see the humor. I am trying to get how the remarks relate to Bush.

He is political Kryptonite....

Dreadsox said:

I do not see the joke. I do not see the humor. I am trying to get how the remarks relate to Bush.

i tend to agree

the remark was awkward

but if we are talking about awkward, mangled, stupid remarks

kerry can't even hold one little birthday candle
to W's blazing sun

The Republicans are sinking faster than the Titanic. He shouldn't be throwing them any rope.

I was around during the Vietnam war, and if anyone thought they could actually plan to get a medal and then use it to better your position politicaly, they would have been crazy.
In nam, you were lucky if you didn't get killed your first day out. Even luckier if you lived past your first month of duty. To be shot and live, well, God was surely looking out for you.

I think John Kerry deserves another Purple Heart for what he has been through with this administration and their croonies.

And I am a registered Republican.

I thought he was making a comment that referenced Vietnam and how you avoided the draft if you were in school. :shrug:

Frankly, I think it's a stretch to say he was calling soldiers stupid. As a joke, it missed by about ten miles, but he owes no one an apology.

Unless he wants to apologize to the Democrats for making a comment that could be so easily pounced upon so close to the elections.

deep said:

i tend to agree

the remark was awkward

but if we are talking about awkward, mangled, stupid remarks

kerry can't even hold one little birthday candle
to W's blazing sun

I would not want him campaigning for me either.

I think most Dems and GOP Congressmembers agree.

W is only in the Redest of States, TX, GA and MT, much different than 04

I wonder who will get on the hustings with Kerry next?

melon said:
It sounds like Kerry was referring to Bush, not the troops.

Melon

I agree Melon........and since no one here ever visits Dream Out Loud....this is my interpretation of the Iraq war.......which btw I wrote but who am I...certainly no one of importance.

============

So Who Is Mr. Clip?

So who is Mr. Clip?
Perhaps that young soldier you see
on the daily news report
or that name listed in the newspaper
under deaths in Iraq this week.

Mr. Clip believes that goodness
still reigns supreme in his hometown
and that the cry of battle is worth the risk
of life and limb.
Naive yet strong of mind and will
determined to fight for the cause....
though oftentimes it is difficult to understand,
still Mr. Clip carries on the duty assigned.

It is a fierce struggle and the images
are never forgotten although they should be.
Each day is like the past
perhaps a little different as when
a fellow soldier dies in his arms
and a tear falls and a saddened heart
tries to return to the reality of war...
at least that is what they call this conflict.

Mr. Clip has no gender or race
and age makes no difference
because these barriers do not exist
in a crumbled war ravaged land.
Meanwhile Mr. Clip's hometown
proudly tie that yellow ribbon
awaiting Mr. Clip to return safely
to family and loved ones and
they read every e-mail and letter sent.

So who is Mr. Clip?
Someone caught between time
and the uncertainty which surrounds
a daily existence...not pleasant by any means
and where imagination makes it more livable.
So you ask how Mr. Clip was named?
Ask Mr. Clip yourself.......as he loads the rifle once again
and continues the mission assigned.

That is who Mr. Clip is......
how often we do forget as our lives are enveloped
with some other trivialities.

October 13, 2006
carol
wizard2c
:|

wizard2c may be correct by her assersion, however it's still a triple lose situation for Mr Kerry

1-He loses in the "leap that GW is dumb", (implying GW is dumb and stuck in/on Iraq) because mainstream America hates snobs who call names, from Paris to Babs to a good portion of the mindset that slobber on each other here in FYM day in and and out.

2-
Aside from that GW had a better GPA in college than Kerry:

Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Kerry's college D's.
Revealed by the Boston Globe (via Memeorandum):

The transcript shows that Kerry's freshman-year average was 71. He scored a 61 in geology, a 63 and 68 in two history classes, and a 69 in political science. His top score was a 79, in another political science course. Another of his strongest efforts, a 77, came in French class.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100 equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade. In addition to Kerry's four D's in his freshman year, he received one D in his sophomore year. He did not fail any courses.

I told you he wasn't smart way back last August. I got a lot of flak for that, so let me just laugh a little over this one. And for old time's sake, here's a link to the classic Guardian article that asked the question: "Does anyone in America doubt that Kerry has a higher IQ than Bush?"

I'm sure their SATs and college transcripts would put Kerry far ahead.

Well, ha ha ha.

And shame on all the people who imagined they were perceiving brilliance in the man! Movie rental idea of the day: "Being There."

UPDATE: Soxblog, linked at the beginning of my August post, is also enjoying being vindicated.

ANOTHER UPDATE: This post is getting an awful lot of comments! You know what I think? I think everybody misses the old days of the presidential campaign. It was fun, wasn't it, back then, going over all the little things about the candidates? Nothing today is so consistently bloggable. I was glad when it was finally over and there was the new challenge of finding diverse things to blog about every day. But this post was a chance to relive the good old days of blogging about the campaign.
posted by Ann Althouse at 8:06 AM

3- Never diss the troops indirectly or directly nor their current Commander in Chief, in you do, you lose.

John Kerry just swift-boated himself.

Good job John.:up:

dbs

Last edited:
diamond said:

1-He loses in the leap that GW is dumb, because mainstream America hates snobs from Paris to Babs to a good portion of the mindset that slobber on eachother here day in and and out.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

You know what baffles me? That this was the lead story on the network news tonight. The man isn't even running for office!

I can't imagine anyone thinking "Well that's it, I'm not voting for ANY democrats now" after a non-candidate made such a comment. My guess? Most people offended by what he said would already be voting Republican anyway.

corianderstem said:

I don't understand what you're saying here.

You know what baffles me? That this was the lead story on the network news tonight. The man isn't even running for office!

I can't imagine anyone thinking "Well that's it, I'm not voting for ANY democrats now" after a non-candidate made such a comment. My guess? Most people offended by what he said would already be voting Republican anyway.

corianderstem-

Name calling in a condenscending manner, by an elitist doesn't sell with main stream America.

dbs

Ah, thanks. I still don't get the wording of the original sentence, but I'll take your explanation as sufficient explanation. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Ah, thanks. I still don't get the wording of the original sentence, but I'll take your explanation as sufficient explanation. :wink:

check my spiffy edit:angry:

:wink:

diamond said:
posted by Ann Althouse at 8:06 AM

Hmm...I think I used to be roommates with her son for a year about four years ago. She's conservative and from Madison, WI, two things I remember hearing about his family, not to mention that I recognize her name.

He ended up not liking Boston and moved back to Madison. Quite a small world.

Melon

They have conservatives in Madison, WI? :ohmy:

To hear my parents in central Wisconsin talk, Madison is nothing but full of wall-to-wall raving liberals!

anitram said:
The Republicans are sinking faster than the Titanic. He shouldn't be throwing them any rope.

Exactly.

I understand what Kerry meant, but why even take the chance with such a lame joke the week before Election Day?

Just awful judgement right there.

there is no way that George Bush is smarter than John Kerry. They both have a habit of getting tongue tied and saying things wrong, but at least John Kerry knows what he's talking about. Knows what truth is. Doesn't lie about people.
George Bush is untrustworthy, and most of America knows it. It saddens me , actually.

Back
Top Bottom