MERGED--> The Importance of Tomorrow (World AIDS Day) + Light a Candle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The Importance of Tomorrow (World AIDS Day)

Dear Friends,

Tomorrow is one of the MOST IMPORTANT days of the year in the fight against extreme poverty - World AIDS Day.

This is the 17th annual observance of this day - a day which we should all reflect on the state of the world for its poorest and most vunerable residents and examine what our role should be in the elimination of extreme poverty from our planet.

Many people here know of my lifelong commitment to be one of those who actively struggle for a better world for EVERYONE. I have been an active African activist for nearly twenty-five years and will never stop.

Through Bono's involvement in this struggle for Africa's Future, many people here have come to know more about the obscene inequities in our world and many of you have found a way, especially through the ONE Campaign to start your own long walk to freedom and fairness for the world's poorest people.

For that, I want to personally thank you - the People of Africa need all the friends in our world that they can get in order to improve their standard of living.

So I ask you to DO SOMETHING TOMORROW on World AIDS Day - attend a meeting, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, tell your friends about the AIDS pandemic and what we CAN DO TO STOP IT.

Definitely WEAR YOUR WHITE BAND. (http://www.whiteband.org)

And if you're home tomorrow night, PLEASE tune into either MTV or VH1 as they are to have some programming on the AIDS pandemic. (although I can't find the info on their sites, they have been advertising these specials all week on the air.)

In closing let me leave you with links to websites about this crisis that should know of (some of which you probably do).

Thank you for reading this post - I try to only post when I feel I have something important and positive to contribute.

And I can't honestly think of a subject that I feel more PASSIONATELY AND PERSONALLY about than the way that AIDS is decimating the lives and futures of millions of African people EVERY YEAR and leaving almost totally helpless and vunerable over 15 MILLION AIDS orphaned children!

We have to do better than this - and many of us are daily trying.

We want you to get involved too.

To quote our favorite Irishman and world ambassador of Soul - where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die.

To that, I can only say - AMEN, BONO.

Take good care of yourselves as we try to take good care of each other.

Blessings always.

FOREVER ONE, debbie

http://www.worldaidsday.org

http://www.one.org

http://www.maketradefair.org

There's no them, there's ONLY US!
Everything IS Possible!
I AM, because WE ARE!

Help end poverty. Email the key leaders and tell them to stand up for trade justice against the rich countries at the upcoming World Trade Organisation (WTO) meeting in December 2005. Act now at:
http://whiteband.org/Actions/wto/sth.en/takeaction?o=typ&v=cpss

:up:

Thanks Jamila :)
This day is really important -- glad you have put this reminder.

Thanks so far for all those who cared enough to post about the importance of today.

And foray - much success in Kuala Lumpur.

Sometimes with all the franticness over ONE in the North, we forget about the INTERNATIONAL WHITE BAND program, active in at least 70 countries around the world!

GCAP (Global Call to Action Against Poverty) is the international organization to which ONE and MPH (MakePovertyHistory) are member organizations.

Here is the GCAP website: http://www.whiteband.org

(I love Bono dearly, but the movement against extreme poverty is not about him - it about what WE all do to make the world better for everyone.) :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

It's amazing: on the welcome page of yahoo.it there's this phrase today:

World AIDS Day - Informati e supporta la campagna di Bono per l'Africa: "Non è una causa, è un'emergenza"

that means:
Get information and support Bono 's campaign for Africa: it's not a cause, it's an emergency

+ the link to DATA web site.

I am not a fan of thinhs like that -- I mean, this ain't just Bono's campaign... But if his name will get the attention of someone to the website and people will get information about it... that's a good result for me!

my town puts up white flags w/ red ribbons on them, it's a good reminder

I like this idea of the t-shirt that says "we all have AIDS"

people.com

Tom Hanks, Nelson Mandela, Will Smith and many other high-profile people have all come together for a new campaign by Kenneth Cole – known for edgy fashion and edgier ad campaigns – to raise awareness for World AIDS Day, Dec. 1, PEOPLE reports in its upcoming issue.

"Ninety-five percent of the people living with the virus (worldwide) don’t know they have it," Cole, a longtime activist and current chairman of amfAR, an AIDS research and awareness organization, tells PEOPLE. "If we could just get 5 percent to address their status, we could double the amount of people we're treating and lives we're saving."

To combat the stigma that still surrounds the disease almost a quarter century after the first reported cases, Cole, 51, and fashion photographer Mark Seliger gathered prominent doctors, activists and celebs known for their dedication to the cause and photographed them at multiple shoots. The images were then combined to create an eye-catching ad with a potent message.

"This campaign is about unity," says Sharon Stone, who autographed an impression of footprints that, along with those of other stars, will be on display in New York City on Dec. 1.

Cole – who will be selling limited-edition AIDS awareness T-shirts that boldly read "We All Have AIDS" – says: "If anyone has AIDS, we all have it. People (need to) realize AIDS is not someone else's problem."

Thanks Debbie...I want to do more, but often feel helpless to do anything.

With the current Canadian election in full swing, I think this is a perfect moment to make foreign aid a significant issue. We need to spark some action for when government returns.

angelordevil, YOU ARE NOT HELPLESS -

YOU ARE POWERFUL!

Especially in Canada right now with the fall of the Martin government, you have a magnificent opportunity to change the world for the world's poorest people!

HOW?

Join MakePovertyHistory in Canada and become part of the solution.

Remember what Bono said : OUR MISSION IS POSSIBLE.

It starts today with each ONE of us.

And please remember to Light a Virtual Candle at the AWF website.

It's just one more thing that we can do to resolve to make our world a better place for everyone!

(http://www.makepovertyhistory.ca )

And thanks to everyone who has so far posted in this thread.

WE'RE ONE....WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER.

:hug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I like this idea of the t-shirt that says "we all have AIDS"

EVERYONE HAS AIDS.

AIDS-AIDS AIDS-AIDS AIDS.

Seriously though, it's good to see all the publicity AIDS Day is getting. I didn't think I'd see anything about it, but I saw things on MTV, VH1, and at school. More people need to be aware of this disease. Far too many people die from it as it is. Cheers to Bono and everyone else involved in this project. :up:

To avoid contracting AIDs:- practise abstinence or monogamy with an uninfected spouse/partner. Avoid injecting heroin. Those who feel they really must take heroin should smoke it or at least use sterilised needles.

The UN can email me for instructions on where to send my Nobel prize.

Last edited:
Re: The Importance of Tomorrow (World AIDS Day)

Jamila said:
Email the key leaders and tell them to stand up for trade justice against the rich countries at the upcoming World Trade Organisation (WTO) meeting in December 2005. Act now at:
http://whiteband.org/Actions/wto/sth.en/takeaction?o=typ&v=cpss

I agree, more free trade and (appropriately regulated) capitalism is what we should be striving for.

financeguy, you know that that is not what that excerpt just said.

We're emailing world leaders to support FAIR tade not free trade (quite a difference).

And please, no quips in this thread.

For both me and I'm sure the AWF which shares this thread the memory of the millions of people dead from AIDS and those millions suffering from extreme poverty in Africa are too important to start a silly debate.

If you want to debate fair trade vs free trade, please start another thread.

Don't hijack the memory of these millions who have suffered so much.

That would be in poor taste. :eyebrow:

Jamila said:
We're emailing world leaders to support FAIR tade not free trade (quite a difference).

But this is precisely the point. Practices which give subsidies and guaranteed prices to Western farmers for their produce and not to African farmers are neither free NOR fair. Free trade as I define it means trade without WESTERN GOVERNMENT enforced market distortion/subsidies. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm sorry if you think my advocacy of a better deal for African farmers constitutes 'hi-jacking the memory of millions who have suffered so much.' :huh:

As Bono said, and I agree with him, globalisation can benefit Africa if it is done in the right way.

The question is whether Western governments will continue to kow-tow to the powerful vested interests of European and US farm lobbies.

If e-mail campaigns like this encourage a fair deal for African farmers, then I'm all in favour of them.

Re: The Importance of Tomorrow (World AIDS Day)

Where does personal responsibility come into all this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom