MERGED: Terri Schiavo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hypocrisy of Bush is laughable...he signed a law as governor of Texas that allowed hospitals to disconnect the feeding tubes of indigent patients even AGAINST the will of their loved ones if they were unable to pay for their loved ones care...yes they had a choice to move them to another care facility, but that choice was not there for those without the means...in other words life for the rich, death for the poor...Where was the religious right when this was happening?:eyebrow:

Last edited:
stray dog said:
The hypocrisy of Bush is laughable...he signed a law as governor of Texas that allowed hospitals to disconnect the feeding tubes of indigent patients even AGAINST the will of their loved ones if they were unable to pay for their loved ones care...yes they had a choice to move them to anothere care facility, but that choice was not there for those without the means...in other words life for the rich, death for the poor...Where was the religious right when this was happening?:eyebrow:

Indeed.

just wondering ... where have all those who view Terri as alive and the removal of the feeding tube as tantamount to murder gone?

Irvine511 said:
just wondering ... where have all those who view Terri as alive and the removal of the feeding tube as tantamount to murder gone?

Probably feel beat up by you bad, bad man you. :)

melon said:

Yes, she has. She has a brain stem and dead cerebral cortex. It's clearly dead too, because it decomposed and there is spinal fluid where brain once was. With only a brain stem, she is not conscious; the brain stem only transmits involuntary reflexes.

She cannot go to a treatment center, because she does not have enough brain function to be in a treatment center.

I worked on an entire website on terminal illness and death back in 2001. I learned more about death than I ever really needed or wanted to know. It is not an "excrutiating death." For the dying, it is actually "excrutiating" to force-feed or force-hydrate someone who does not want it. In hospices, before they understood this, there were often cases of patients drowning of accumulated fluid in their lungs, because a dying person loses the ability to process fluids.

Melon
nothing like facts to get in the way...:wink:

bcrt2000 said:
all i can think of is Miracle Drug right now... :sad:

I'm surprised no one has commented on this :sad:

I'm not sure what parts of Christopher Nolan's brain were damaged, but nonetheless i feel a connection between his story and Terri's-- his mother was strong and didn't give up hope, and they found something that helped, and he ended up writing beautiful award winning poetry-- someone who NEVER lived a normal life...

i think the issue should be that what type of brain activity constitutes someone being brain dead or not, but thats just my opinion...

There is no cerebellum to be active, it has atrophied, disappeared, vanished, poof, gone, not to be seen. There is a big empty space in her head filled with spinal fluid which used to be her cerebellum.

Unless they can grow a new cerebellum for her, no hope ever for recovery.

Read melon's post. He is correct.

Irvine511 said:

now, now ... let's give credit where it is due --- to Melon.

he *owned* this thread.

I think you're both meanies. :shame: :D

Irvine511 said:

that's "bitchy queens" to you, mister.

I'll remember that, if you'll remember I'm not a mister (although my nick actually is a masculine name). :)

trevster2k said:
There is no cerebellum to be active, it has atrophied, disappeared, vanished, poof, gone, not to be seen. There is a big empty space in her head filled with spinal fluid which used to be her cerebellum.

Unless they can grow a new cerebellum for her, no hope ever for recovery.

Read melon's post. He is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellum

I'm not a scientist (unless a CS student counts) but if this information is accurate the Cerebellum has one or perhaps two functions which could be:

- timing of movements
- learning machine

this really has nothing to do with not being able to feel or think if this is an accurate document and if the statement that its her cerebellum that is the problem is correct (which i doubt-- theres probably more complications).

Last edited:
Oh excuse me, cerebral cortex is gone not cerebellum, I ain't a doctor either.

trevster2k said:
Oh excuse me, cerebral cortex is gone not cerebellum, I ain't a doctor either.

schiavo_ct_scan.jpg

The dark areas are spinal fluid. All that's left is some edge cortex, and that's decomposing. This is the image that the judges have all looked at to determine that there is no hope of recovery here.

Irvine511 said:
Well, I've stated my stance, and I'm still reading responses. I don't care for swaying anybody, really, but I find it interesting that both sides act as though Terri is on their side. I'm actually tired of discussing this case, and feel that we will never know how Terri feels about it, but we can only assume that we're on her side. I have doubts that they will plug her back in, as much as I resent the decision, I have begun to move on.

Macfistowannabe said:
Well, I've stated my stance, and I'm still reading responses. I don't care for swaying anybody, really, but I find it interesting that both sides act as though Terri is on their side. I'm actually tired of discussing this case, and feel that we will never know how Terri feels about it, but we can only assume that we're on her side. I have doubts that they will plug her back in, as much as I resent the decision, I have begun to move on.
as for what Terri wanted we have what she told her husband. The courts have found him credible...

Macfistowannabe said:

As callous as this sounds, I don't really care what happens to Terri Schiavo. But I am keenly interested in this case for the implications it has for me and anyone I do care about. And to me the current actions by many politicans are deplorable and very frightening.

Lesson here is for everyone to get a detailed specific living will or power of attorney or whatever legal document you need to prevent this from happening to yourself or a loved one. :|

Yes that is a lesson, and a health care proxy too

Regardless of how anyone feels about it- and I don't think it matters who is right, wrong, or who "wins" a debate about it-her parents still feel she is alive and she is now going to die in their eyes, and I feel sympathy for them. I hope they can find some peace after all of this.

One of Terri's friends testified that she was talking about the Karen Ann Quinlan case w/ her, and she told her that she would always choose to keep living if she was in that state. So who really knows what Terri's wishes were?

Well said mrs springsteen-in the end no one "wins" this woman has lost what most people take for granted every single day. (Like I can choose to get out of bed or have an iced coffee if I would like one)

If any good can come out of it maybe more people will make living wills, even just talking about the fact that someday we are all not going to be here and what to do about that.

Reuters

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (Reuters) - A federal judge refused to order the resumption of feeding for brain-damaged Florida woman Terri Schiavo on Tuesday in a blow to the parents, who have support from the U.S. Congress and President Bush in trying to keep her alive.

this issue is a complete and utter waste of time, energy, money, and media time. the republicans are exploiting this in order to coddle their base. it took Bush 3 days to say anything about the tsunami; however, when The House passed emergency legislation in the Terri Schiavo case just after midnight on 3/21, and the president was on it immediately.

the one good thing that i've had come out of this is that i sent an email to my parents asking them to pull the plug on me should i ever be a vegetable. i also asked two friends to promise to smother me should i become a vegetable. they asked me to do the same.

Irvine511 said:

the one good thing that i've had come out of this is that i sent an email to my parents asking them to pull the plug on me should i ever be a vegetable. i also asked two friends to promise to smother me should i become a vegetable. they asked me to do the same.

A friend and I had the same conversation, and I had this conversation with my mom last year. My mom is a very conservative right wing devoted Christian in her 70s who told me she did not want to ever be kept alive by machines and said it was stated in her will as well. I think it's about time for me to put this stuff in writing, though.

the other good thing about this: the GOP has overplayed their hand; i'm sensing a backlash.

and rightly so.

fucking disgusting exploitation of pain and suffering for politican gain.

i also didn't sleep well last night. am full of bile and venom today.

look out! irvine is very grumpy this morning.

:mad:

Irvine511 said:

i also didn't sleep well last night. am full of bile and venom today.

look out! irvine is very grumpy this morning.

:mad:

joyfulgirl didn't sleep either and neither did her officemate. What's up with that? I blame the equinox. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom