MERGED-> Sorry speech + Australia apologizes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im quite excited about all this. Even if Rudd never achieves another thing this Sorry speech and the Japanese whaling issue are huge achievements in my book.

PS Wasnt John Howard a complete fucknob for not attending the ceremony? He could have actually earned himself some respect today by attending but no. :(

blueeyedgirl said:
You know, I'm trying not to be too starry eyed by this government. Rudd is a politician after all, and they tend to behave like politicians :wink: but I still feel he has something that Howard crucially lacked. Empathy, I don't know, but definitely he has it.

I was reading a story the other day about SA's Premier of the 70s Don Dunstan (who was Premier when I was a kid) and I remembered the glory days of when government acted FOR people - he championed the arts, women's rights, multiculturalism, he was the first state premier to decriminalise homosexuality. At the same time Whitlam made university education free to all, and not available just for the wealthy. Governments can act responsibly. The last 11 years of Howardism had lost that. Maybe we've got it back :shrug: We can only hope.

:up: I hope so too!

I wasn't able to watch the telly this morning as I was at work, so I was looking forward to seeing the 6pm news. I actually found myself choking back the tears, especially seeing the reaction of all the folks at Fed Square (in Melbourne) and up in Canberra. What a fantastic moment :D

It's so good to see a Prime Minister with kindness and compassion finally!!!

TranceEnding said:

I wasn't able to watch the telly this morning as I was at work, so I was looking forward to seeing the 6pm news. I actually found myself choking back the tears, especially seeing the reaction of all the folks at Fed Square (in Melbourne) and up in Canberra. What a fantastic moment :D

It's so good to see a Prime Minister with kindness and compassion finally!!!

Absolutely agreed. I watched the last ten minutes of the speech at uni with my theology class and had to fight back tears. Even if it is just a small step, it's a step nonetheless.

What I find hilarious is the fact that the Opposition were, just two days ago, criticising the speech for not having the text of it released quickly enough, even though for the ridiculous amount of time they were in Government, they adamantly refused to even think about it. And all of a sudden, the speech can't come out quickly enough for them. Bloody hypocrites trying not to lose more votes.

I'm just glad that it's happened, and that I voted Labor. Now all they have to do is get somewhere with this apology, and I think this country will really start experiencing some change.

Earnie Shavers said:
4 Liberal Party MP's were a deliberate no-show. Another sat there in parliament reading a magazine, making a show of ignoring the speech.

4 of the 5 living past Prime Ministers were present. No prizes for guessing which one wasn't.

Wilson Tuckey and pathetically petty boy Johnnie can both go to hell.

Like blueeyedgirl, I'm trying not to get too starry-eyed about this new government, and the Internet filter idea that I firmly oppose has helped me there. But on the whole, Rudd & Co. have been absolutely exceptional. It's just starting to really settle on me just how much of a landmark historical occasion today is. I'm so proud of what has taken place. It is exactly the kind of reconciliation this country has desperately needed after everything Howard has done to ruin the place.

I don't know about you guys, but I've been cranking a fair bit of Midnight Oil today. It was very fitting to see Peter Garrett seated so close to Kevin Rudd as the apology was delivered. After all of his hard work to bring awareness to the plight of the Aborigines, he must feel exceptionally pleased today.

Oh, it was fabulous that Peter Garrett was so physically close to Rudd! I bet he was pleased. Its been a long road for Pete (and the Aboriginal community)

Rudd seems a little too sincere for my taste. I mean, I like him, and I'm really happy with today, and I certainly hope this is the beginning of something wonderful. But there's just this whole attitude about him that seems really foreign, at least foreign as a politician. I'm not sure if it's inexperience or something genuinely wonderful.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23210120-662,00.html

TWO of the Howard government's most senior ministers -- including Alexander Downer -- are planning to quit politics and pursue lucrative careers in business.

Former agriculture minister Peter McGauran is also preparing to exit Parliament in a move that would trigger a series of by-elections.

Other big-name MPs, including Peter Costello, are being tipped to leave as part of a widespread purge of the former Howard ministry.

:drool: Please Mr Liberal Party please replace them with compassionate, humane peeps so we can continue this catch-up fix-up. Thank you.

I would like to add that Brendan Nelsons speech was reasonably good given the circumstances. I could smell Howard in Nelsons speech. Its gotta be difficult with Howards presence still around. Especially when Howard was the only former PM from the past 30 years who didnt attend the Sorry speech.

Nelson couldnt suport the Apology without offending Howard. Nelson couldnt disagree with the Apology without offending a fair chunk of Australia. Nelson couldnt ignore the situation either or he'd look like a knob. The only alternative was to speak about non controversial issues to do with the general plight of Indigenous Australia.

Nelson was caught between a rock and a hard place. Poor bugger.

Last edited:
Interesting that about all the MPs quitting, there's been lots of noise in SA about Downer going. Wasn't it in the late 80s that the Liberal Party had the purge of "wets" from the party to make way for the hard nosed economic "dries" of which Howard was the pinnacle? Let's hope the time is right for a reversal!

Earnie Shavers said:
Another sat there in parliament reading a magazine, making a show of ignoring the speech.

How incredibly tacky. It would have been better if he didn't show up at all. The sad thing is he probably knows that will sit well with his voter base.

The official apology though was eloquent and classy, and that's what people will remember the most. :up:

I actually think it's a good thing that Howard didn't attend. He spent all those years as PM refusing to apologise, so to turn up when his successor did apologise would have been completely hypocritical. At least it demonstrated that he stands by his convictions, whether or not other people agree with him.

I was impressed with Rudd's speech and felt so elated that finally a polititcian had done something straight away the he promised to do in the election. After having Howard for 11 years who promises were mighty empty its refreshing to see Rudd actually following through with it!

I now feel that this will help indigenous australians settle a little more, to feel like their suffering and abuse that a lot received has been publicly acknowledged and apologised for.

I know think its time to really start working for the betterment of the indigenous population, though I don't believe offering personal compensation is going to deal with the issues involved. Having grown up in the Northern Territory and lived there most of my life, I have been surrounded by probably the worst stereotypes of indigenous people you could imagine.
I believe that due to earlier governments policies of basically throwing money after a problem and never trying to fix it, indigenous people have grown up with no respect for money, distrust for authorities (and for good reason) and WORST of all no respect for themselves and their culture.
This is also what happened in low economic 'non indigenous' families as well.
What we need to focus on is rebuilding that respect for ones culture. Saying 'here is 100,000 sorry for your suffering' is not going to do it. We need to use money to fund work programs, to stop the 'money for nothing' welfare system that was made to keep indigenous people down with no hopes. Why look for a job when you know you're getting $500 a fortnight for nothing? Why push yourself when all around you your family and friends have no drive or ambition. Indigenous people are a closeknit family units. They don't like to be alone, they don't like to be a leader, its a big thing for someone to stand up and walk away from all that is familiar to them.

While I disagreed with some of the intervention tactics, being a school teacher I saw some benifits. For the first time students who were never at school started turning up. They started learning, getting involed, finding things to do they liked, instead of staying home and having no parental figure pushing them to school.

What has happened is a generation that is repeating the same mistakes over and over at a much faster rate (the average age for a first time mother is 17) and learning the same mistrust of authority, hatred and boredom for education (not because they are stupid, but because they don't attend enough school to learn anything of much use!) and no drive for anything more than what they see.

Indigenous people have a beautiful wonderful culture and are the most kind and caring people. They have just lost a lot of it due to being given money but never told how to use it, turning to alcohol and petrol sniffing to get through the dasys and breeding the same loss of hope and pride through their society.

I hope this is the start of rebuilding what they lost. And compensation is not the way to do it. In fact its probably going to be hard for a lot of indigenous people to contend with, but i feel its the best way, to get the best out of a population that has lost its spirit.

Today is a wondrous day in Australian politics: Brendan Nelson's approval rating is 9%. No other opposition leader has ever achieved single figures :love:

blueeyedgirl said:
Today is a wondrous day in Australian politics: Brendan Nelson's approval rating is 9%. No other opposition leader has ever achieved single figures :love:

Aaaaaahahahahahaha *takes breath* hahahahahahaha

That's all you can do, really: point and laugh with a big grin. What fantastic news!

Back
Top Bottom