MERGED--> So...Ron Paul + Vote Ron Paul - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #261
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Wins would be relevant. Or second place showings.
__________________

martha is offline  
Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #262
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
So poll numbers are relevant? What happened to Obama's guaranteed win in NH? And if they are so relevant, FoxNews.com poll says that Ron Paul won the debate tonight by a vast margin.

Realistically, I don't think money raised or poll numbers are either that relevant.
Online polls? Statistically, they are wholly unreliable. There's a decent chance that a Ron Paul supporter found the poll, then brought it to the attention of a web forum full of his supporters to skew the vote in their favor. That's why nobody uses them for serious statistics gathering. All the credible polls show Paul with single digit support, and both Iowa and New Hampshire have ultimately confirmed that to be the case.

Regardless of whether Obama's poll numbers were correct in NH or not, Paul's poll numbers seem to be correct, so far.
__________________

melon is offline  
Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #263
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98


No, his positions are true Republican positions, my friend.






Quote:
An undated solicitation letter for The Ron Paul Investment Letter and the Ron Paul Political Report contains this, from Paul himself: "I've been told not to talk, but these stooges don't scare me. Threats or no threats, I've laid bare the coming race war in our big cities. The federal-homosexual cover-up on AIDS (my training as a physician helps me see through this one.) The Bohemian Grove--perverted, pagan playground of the powerful. Skull & Bones: the demonic fraternity that includes George Bush and leftist Senator John Kerry, Congress's Mr. New Money. The Israeli lobby, which plays Congress like a cheap harmonica."

"A Special Issue on Racial Terrorism" analyzes the Los Angeles riots of 1992: "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks three days after rioting began. ... What if the checks had never arrived? No doubt the blacks would have fully privatized the welfare state through continued looting. But they were paid off and the violence subsided."
deep is offline  
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #264
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
^He is not racist. He said he's not racist on his website. He is more for liberties and freedom than most of the candidates.
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #265
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
He is not racist. He said he's not racist on his website. He is more for liberties and freedom than most of the candidates.
Except if you're homosexual.

Quote:
States' rights and sodomy laws

Ron Paul has been a critic of the Supreme Court's decision on the Lawrence v. Texas case in which sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment. In an essay posted to the Lew Rockwell website he wrote:

"Consider the Lawrence case decided by the Supreme Court in June. The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment “right to privacy.” Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states’ rights – rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards."

...

In 2004, he spoke in support of the Defense of Marriage Act (passed in 1996) which limited the U.S. Constitution's Full Faith and Credit Clause by allowing states to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states if they so choose. He co-sponsored the Marriage Protection Act, which would have barred judges from hearing cases pertaining to the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Then the state is free to trample all over your rights, according to Ron Paul.
melon is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,257
Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


There's a decent chance that a Ron Paul supporter found the poll, then brought it to the attention of a web forum full of his supporters to skew the vote in their favor. That's why nobody uses them for serious statistics gathering.
That's probably right. Does anybody really care who came in first in a Fox News text message poll? I doubt it. The only people who would care about something so trivial are the Ron Paul supporters who want to make it look like he won the debate, and are desperate to make it appear that he has a ton of support.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 AM   #267
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Except if you're homosexual.



Then the state is free to trample all over your rights, according to Ron Paul.
Yea, we've gone over this on the forum. He is still for states rights to decide on gay marriage, which is a more liberal position than the other Republican candidates. He is also for the equality of gays and straights serving in the military.
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #268
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2


That's probably right. Does anybody really care who came in first in a Fox News text message poll? I doubt it. The only people who would care about something so trivial are the Ron Paul supporters who want to make it look like he won the debate, and are desperate to make it appear that he has a ton of support.
Well, he did win the debate, according to the poll.
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #269
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

There's a decent chance that a Ron Paul supporter found the poll, then brought it to the attention of a web forum full of his supporters to skew the vote in their favor.
If there is a good chance for that, there is also a decent chance that a Giuliani supporter, McCain supporter, Thompson supporter, Huckabee supporter or Romney supporter could have found the poll, then brought it to the attention of a web forum full of their respective supporters. You can't have it both ways. Why assume that only Ron Paul supporters skew the vote?
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #270
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98


Well, he did win the debate, according to the poll.
Internet polls are meaningless.

Also, if Ron Paul is not racist, then what's your explanation for this?

Quote:
"Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks three days after rioting began. ... What if the checks had never arrived? No doubt the blacks would have fully privatized the welfare state through continued looting. But they were paid off and the violence subsided."
Diemen is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #271
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98


If there is a good chance for that, there is also a decent chance that a Giuliani supporter, McCain supporter, Thompson supporter, Huckabee supporter or Romney supporter could have found the poll, then brought it to the attention of a web forum full of their respective supporters. You can't have it both ways. Why assume that only Ron Paul supporters skew the vote?
The simple truth of the matter is that if this poll was accurate and the majority of Americans believe Ron Paul was winning debates, that would translate into more votes than he's currently receiving. So if he's not getting many votes, well, draw your own conclusions.
Diemen is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
He said he's not racist on his website.


Maybe I'll get myself a website and say I'm an astronaut.
martha is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
Why assume that only Ron Paul supporters skew the vote?
Because only Ron Paul has the mobilization of an active internet personality cult.

Regardless, it is more than common knowledge that internet polls do not have any statistical validity. Their methodology is fatally flawed, because of the fact that they can be manipulated and because they only tend to attract a narrow subset of people.
melon is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #274
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha




Maybe I'll get myself a website and say I'm an astronaut.
Ooh ooh, and I'm going to make a website and claim that I'm god's gift to women(unless diamond already has that one).
BVS is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,257
Local Time: 09:33 PM
Fox News always does a post-debate text message poll, and Ron Paul has won most, if not all of them. Yet that has translated into few actual votes, if any. That tells me that there is an organized attempt among Ron Paul groups to flood Fox News with votes for him. The Ron Paul followers probably vote for him regardless of if they thought he performed the best. I would guess the goal of the poll is to determine who the independent or undecided Republicans thought actually won the debate, not to see which committed voters can get the most votes in for their candidate. I like McCain, for example, but I didn't think he did the best last night, so I wouldnt have voted for him.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,725
Local Time: 05:33 AM
When I saw that MSNBC even had an extra page explaining why their polls has nothing to do with representative polling I thought "Who needs that?"

No I know that it is indeed needed.
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #277
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen


Internet polls are meaningless.

Also, if Ron Paul is not racist, then what's your explanation for this?

This must be the 10th time someone has posted that quote on this forum. He said that someone else put wrote those quotes under his name. It wasn't him.
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #278
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha




Maybe I'll get myself a website and say I'm an astronaut.
He has always denied saying any of those things. Somebody else put them in his writings under his name without his knowledge. He has repeatedly fought for the unjustice that such a high percentage of African-Americans are in jail compared to how many go on trial compared with the percentage of Whites that are in jail compared with the amount of them that go on trial. He has said on numerous occassions that his heroes are Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, and Gandhi because these people fought for freedom with non-violent methods which is the basis of the Libertarian party. On top of all that he has the highest number of African-American followers out of any of the other candidates. Ron Paul is not a racist, he has continuously fought for individual liberty rights and freedom, he is more "liberal" than his fellow Republicans on issues such as gay marriage, abortion and especially drugs. His liberal positions on drugs affect African-Americans more than any other race.

You guys don't have to believe me if you don't want. And you can stick on this one issue instead of focusing on the major platforms of the candidates. He isn't racist. He didn't say any of those things.
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #279
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Fox News always does a post-debate text message poll, and Ron Paul has won most, if not all of them. Yet that has translated into few actual votes, if any. That tells me that there is an organized attempt among Ron Paul groups to flood Fox News with votes for him. The Ron Paul followers probably vote for him regardless of if they thought he performed the best. I would guess the goal of the poll is to determine who the independent or undecided Republicans thought actually won the debate, not to see which committed voters can get the most votes in for their candidate. I like McCain, for example, but I didn't think he did the best last night, so I wouldnt have voted for him.
Only 3 states have had voting so far. So how can we decide prematurely if it has translated into votes or not? And why only the Ron Paul followers vote for him regardless if they thought he won the debate? You may not, but the followers of the other candidates can do the same thing as Ron Paul followers do. If I weren't a Paul follower, I would still feel he won the debate, being that I agree with his positions the most out of anyone and they make complete sense to me. I would think that most Paul followers are the same as me.
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #280
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Because only Ron Paul has the mobilization of an active internet personality cult.

Regardless, it is more than common knowledge that internet polls do not have any statistical validity. Their methodology is fatally flawed, because of the fact that they can be manipulated and because they only tend to attract a narrow subset of people.
It wasn't an internet poll, it was a text message poll. And the first poll after the first Republican debate also indicated that Ron Paul won that debate by a large margin. At that time, there was no internet following, there were no Ron Paul cult followings anywhere, he had raised almost no money, and he wasn't known at all. Still the polls indicated that he won, so how can that be if you say it is his cult following that spreads the message? It probably was that he truly won the debate.
__________________

Infinity is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×