MERGED --> Serb Prime Minister Djindjic Assassinated + horrible political assasintn.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screaming Flower

ONE love, blood, life
Serb Prime Minister Djindjic Assassinated

Serb Prime Minister Djindjic Assassinated
1 hour, 20 minutes ago Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Julijana Mojsilovic

BELGRADE (Reuters) - Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic was assassinated on Wednesday, gunned down outside the main government building in Belgrade, a source from his political party told Reuters.

Djindjic, 50, a reformer who played a central role in the downfall of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic (news - web sites) in October 2000, was shot in the chest by two large caliber sniper bullets fired from a distance, a police source said.

"He's dead," the source from his Democratic Party said.

Local B92 radio said he was shot in the back and the stomach at around 11:45 a.m. GMT.

Djindjic narrowly escaped injury in another incident last month when a truck suddenly swerved out of its lane toward a convoy of cars -- one of which was carrying the prime minister.

Djindjic then suggested the near-miss could have been linked to his government's attempts to stamp out organized crime which flourished during the turbulent rule of Milosevic in the 1990s.

It was Djindjic who took the decision in mid-2001 to ship Milosevic to the war crimes tribunal in The Hague (news - web sites), where he is facing trial for genocide and crimes against humanity.

B92 said two people had been arrested in connection with the shooting and Beta news agency reported three people detained. there was no immediate official confirmation of the reports.

Serbian government ministers immediately gathered in emergency session, a government source said.

News of Djindjic's death swept across the Serbian capital, shocking many of those who supported the premier and took to the streets with him in mass anti-Milosevic protests.

"Is he really dead? God forbid! Whatever happened to this country. Can we feel safe?" said 65-year-old pensioner Ljiljana.

"This is scary, frightening. Does this mean even I now have to watch my back?," Marjana, a 35-year-old bank clerk, said.

President Stjepan Mesic of Croatia, which fought Yugoslav troops in its struggle for independence, described the assassination as "an act of madness."

"This is not good for Serbia, not good for us in the neighborhood. Serbia has been through a difficult period...and this assassination will slow down its progress toward democracy," he told reporters.

POLITICAL CLASHES

Djindjic, a liberal aligned to the West, often feuded with the more nationalist former Yugoslav President Vojislav Kostunica (news - web sites) over the pace of reform.

Djindjic enraged coalition partners with alleged attempts by associates to take control of mismanaged state enterprises.

He clashed with Kostunica over his demand for sackings of police and state security chiefs and over his threats to attack ethnic Albanian rebels in a post-war buffer zone along Kosovo's boundary with Serbia.

In all three cases, Kostunica's huge popularity forced Djindjic to back off.

Djindjic, married with two children, took office as Serbian prime minister in February 2001 after December elections, and often pledged to clamp down on corruption and widespread organized crime.

Jailed as a dissident student in the 1970s, frustrated as a popular protest leader in the 1990s, Djindjic rebounded in a street uprising in 2000 to become leader-in-waiting of a new democratic Serbia.

A fitness enthusiast, Djindjic was born in Bosanski Samac, in Bosnia, the son of a Yugoslav People's Army officer.

God bless him and his family - and Serbia. :sad:

horrible political assassination

I've just read where some :censored: killed the reformist Prime Minister of Serbia Djindjic. This man was responsible for getting the horrid war criminal Milosevic sent to the Hague. I'm upset. It makes me conscious of the fragility of life, and unfortunately of the fragility of justice as well. Good people like him are getting killed and :censored: 's all over the the world are doing great. It's a sad day for peace and justice. :sad: :sad: :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

I'm upset about this too. I hope they get the :censored: who killed him. I screwed up and posted another thread about the assassinations. The mods can delete it. This is really horrible news. I was so happy when they kicked Milosevic out of Serbia and sent him to the Hague where he belongs. :sad: :sad: :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

I agree. I heard this on the way to work. It's very troubling because the assasin is logically connected to Slo Bo's organized crime ring that his still active in Serbia.

oktobergirl said:
I agree. I heard this on the way to work. It's very troubling because the assasin is logically connected to Slo Bo's organized crime ring that his still active in Serbia.

Good, great wonderful. This sucks. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

I was just looking at the title of this thread. I have since learned how to spell assassination. :lol: :lol: I was pretty freaked when I got the news. :yikes:

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:

Is he... well organized crime is famous for shooting down people, can?t negate that.

The Serbs must be in fear right now. I hope the situation will be under control.

New York, 12 March 2003 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the assassination of Serbian Premier Zoran Djindjic

The Secretary-General was shocked and saddened this morning to learn of the assassination of Serbian Premier Zoran Djindjic. The Secretary-General deplores this act of political violence marring the process of democratic normalization in Serbia and trusts that the perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice. He extends his condolences to the Premier's family and to the people of Serbia.

The Secretary-General?s Special Representative for Kosovo, Michael Steiner, called the assassination ?a brutal act against a democratically elected head of government.? Steiner said he had known Djindjic for the last decade, and held him in high personal esteem.

Security Council President, Ambassador Momady Traor? of Guinea, later read a press statement, which said Council members learned with grief about the assassination. "As a leading Serbian politician during the last decade he contributed enormously to the democratization of his country," the statement said. "Council members strongly condemned this assassination and urged that the perpetrators of this cowardly crime be brought to justice as quickly as possible."

http://www.un.org/News/ossg/hilites.htm

This man had great potential - he was educated and rejected nationalistic claims.

Really, when you take a closer look, this is a perfect example of how the current Serbian government still allows war criminals and despots to walk around unimpeded. You have people who slaughtered women and children in Bosnia now sitting in Belgrade cafes, going to soccer matches. It's disgusting. And it is precisely this not-so-underworld that killed Djindjic.

anitram said:
This man had great potential - he was educated and rejected nationalistic claims.

Really, when you take a closer look, this is a perfect example of how the current Serbian government still allows war criminals and despots to walk around unimpeded. You have people who slaughtered women and children in Bosnia now sitting in Belgrade cafes, going to soccer matches. It's disgusting. And it is precisely this not-so-underworld that killed Djindjic.

Exactly. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom